Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

When a player is a freak, he does both good and bad freakishly well.
Unfortunately does the freakishly bad far to often to be trusted, especially when it's crucially needed moments that he does the freakishly good instead.

Think we need to be careful about off loading top players for a high draft pick.Had plenty of those in our lean years that really did not amount to much.Would rather give Bolton more responsibility to try and counter his laziness lapses.Perhaps put him in a locked room with Cumbo for a couple hours doing a Rubiks cube together.............

There needs to be some work on his skills. The way he kicks set shots should be fixable, get him training a better technique, the current technique is clearly not giving him confidence.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
There needs to be some work on his skills. The way he kicks set shots should be fixable, get him training a better technique, the current technique is clearly not giving him confidence.

DS
He won the preseason goal kicking competition at the club. Watching training he almost never missed. There is not too much wrong with his kicking. The problem is he gets into positions to have a shot at goal that normal players wouldn’t. He’s a freak and clearly our best player.

I’ll throw a question at PRE. If we are to assume that there might be a period of time before we are challenging top four again, what is the better scenario for us:

1) hang on to Bolton, he is a match winner, generational talent and will still be in his prime when we launch again

2) trade him to a desperate wannabe contender (Essendon, St Kilda, Fremantle) for pick 1 and take potentially the first two picks to the ND whilst also freeing up cap space for a cadman type
You never trade out football geniuses no matter where you are on the premiership window.

I think it's all mental with Shai.
If someone could unlock his mind he would be the ultimate package.
I wonder if some extra sessions with Emma would help.
Is she still part of our program?

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't watch the games as I'm in Sri Lanka. Reports on social media him and Dusty had a push and shove during the game. Anyone see or have comment? Maybe the great man thinks the apprentice has been on the bath water

• Wow
You never trade out football geniuses no matter where you are on the premiership window.
I know it was well before my time but I seem to remember reading that in the seventies / eighties we traded some top notch players for some also rans as well as a couple of greats It suited our needs at the time so maybe it would suit us now. Personally I wouldn't want to even consider trading Bolton because he has a special ability to win contests and matches when on song and it is a joy to watch

I think it's all mental with Shai.
If someone could unlock his mind he would be the ultimate package.
I wonder if some extra sessions with Emma would help.
Is she still part of our program?
Probably taken the stairs to Maggotland or the Gold Coast with everyone else.

I didn't watch the games as I'm in Sri Lanka. Reports on social media him and Dusty had a push and shove during the game. Anyone see or have comment? Maybe the great man thinks the apprentice has been on the bath water

I saw them remonstrating with each other during the 3rd quarter. It was more of a verbal argument with a bunch of gesturing, but clearly not happy campers. Certainly nothing physical though.

Last edited:
FWIW I rated Shai diabolical in Round Nowt and between poor and off in R1.

You went to see the real Tigers. Not the ones that can't hit targets

• Haha
Where's Emma Murray? I reckon Shai needs some mindfulness. He doesn't look like he's enjoying himself out there. I reckon these years of poor conversion is starting to weigh him down.