Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Just to get back on track, Bolts has put some consistent Footy up this year.
Kicked Goals in every match bar the Blooz.
Would be leading B and F by a country kilometre to this point 5 Rounds in (or is it 6, AFL clowns!)
Along with Myki battling manfully in a largely dysfunctional forward line.
Keep going, $hai.
Kudos.

Yeah I reckon Shai, Baker and Vlastuin are miles out in front for the JDM right now. Big gap from those 3.

Reactions: 2 users

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
The point I was making regarding the Collingwood mids was their caliber which is tied to their pic numbers. The fact that they’re still performing at their age if anything highlights their ongoing quality, (not sure what point you were trying to make by listing their age)

Note:
Pendlebury and Sidebottom have now performed well in 2 premierships 13 years apart.

How long do you think it’s going to take the Tiges to assemble a midfield group that has players that are a similar caliber to last years Collonwood main mid group? (Which is the predicament that we’re in)

You forgot that trading out a couple of players would irredeemably destroy the fabric of the club and lead to untreatable depression throughout the club.
It’s going to take a bloody long time to find players the calibre of Pendles and Sidebottom. Just like it would to find Dusty’s and Cotch’s.

The age matters because some of Collingwood best players in the granny were Pendlebury (35), Mitchell (30), Crisp (30), Howe (33), Sidebottom (32)
Who didn’t play well in the granny but had a big part in the season Adams (30), Mihocek (30), Elliot (31), Hoskin Elliot (30), Cox (32)

While you are saying trade some of our best players because they don’t fit the age demographic when we will be challenging next, you didn’t see Collingwood trade a Sidebottom or Pendlebury while finishing 17th, 12th, 13th, 12th, 11th in the last 10 years.

#2, 2005 Pendlebury
#11, 2008 Sidebottom
#13, 2011 Adams
#5, 2014 De Goey
#4, 2021 Daicos

That’s 16 national drafts to get that group.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
You are seriously disrespecting Bolton here.

Have you not watched any of the games this season??
So remind us all again with Shai on fire, exactly how many games have we won so far this year?? How many games did we win n finals did we play in while the Cho man was exciting us all????
I'm reluctant regarding trading out our star players at any time, simply because I'm a fan. But I can more than understand the Barren Samedi / Night Carter thoughts and discussion points regarding trading a premium icing on top talent to rebuild your core for the long term.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
So remind us all again with Shai on fire, exactly how many games have we won so far this year?? How many games did we win n finals did we play in while the Cho man was exciting us all????
I'm reluctant regarding trading out our star players at any time, simply because I'm a fan. But I can more than understand the Barren Samedi / Night Carter thoughts and discussion points regarding trading a premium icing on top talent to rebuild your core for the long term.
Using this year as an example without Shai we would have seen far more games like yesterday. He is no longer the cream on top. He first flag in and out of games like he used to.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Using this year as an example without Shai we would have seen far more games like yesterday.
Lose by two goals or lose by ten, it's pretty irrelevant when ya can barely field a senior side through injury.
He is no longer the cream on top.
Blokes like Shai are always the cream on, because they are premium players. Dollop of cream in the middle of a light n fluffy sponge cake with passion fruit icing on top is excellent. Dollop of cream on a rusty tin plate is fairly meh.
He first flag in and out of games like he used to.
Nup, can't understand this at all, is this Spainglish?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Lose by two goals or lose by ten, it's pretty irrelevant when ya can barely field a senior side through injury.

In your last post you said it could be worth trading Shai out because he's not winning us games, now you say the results are irrelevant because half the side out is injured.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
In your last post you said it could be worth trading Shai out because he's not winning us games, now you say the results are irrelevant because half the side out is injured.
Ahhh FMD talk about misinterpreting what I was saying. Loss " MARGINS " of our games are irrelevant as with half a side out injured, neither a Shai or a Dusty or Cho man would have much of a relevant influence on the result or size of the result. We're not in the process of discussing whether these types of players are any good or not. We're discussing the value of perhaps trading out an elite talent in his prime to enable us to draft a new and future core for our playing list. As anyone can see, with all the draft manipulations going on it's impossible to just use the current end of season main draft system to rebuild a side. Every possible aspect needs to be considered to improve, rebuild or restructure a list. Main draft. Trade. Free agency. Rookie draft. Mid season draft.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Yze said he was going to teach players to kick. Shai is 14.6 for the season. Unheard of.

Levelled up to 2.33 goals a game because of improved accuracy. And is now easily the best HFF/MID in the game. He's passing Akermanis.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Yze said he was going to teach players to kick. Shai is 14.6 for the season. Unheard of.

Levelled up to 2.33 goals a game because of improved accuracy. And is now easily the best HFF/MID in the game. He's passing Akermanis.
Probable 2nd best. I can see him missing out on the AA team to Darcy Byrne-Jones.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
It’s going to take a bloody long time to find players the calibre of Pendles and Sidebottom. Just like it would to find Dusty’s and Cotch’s.

The age matters because some of Collingwood best players in the granny were Pendlebury (35), Mitchell (30), Crisp (30), Howe (33), Sidebottom (32)
Who didn’t play well in the granny but had a big part in the season Adams (30), Mihocek (30), Elliot (31), Hoskin Elliot (30), Cox (32)

While you are saying trade some of our best players because they don’t fit the age demographic when we will be challenging next, you didn’t see Collingwood trade a Sidebottom or Pendlebury while finishing 17th, 12th, 13th, 12th, 11th in the last 10 years.

#2, 2005 Pendlebury
#11, 2008 Sidebottom
#13, 2011 Adams
#5, 2014 De Goey
#4, 2021 Daicos

That’s 16 national drafts to get that group.

My initial points still stand; the list is in real trouble and more top end talent will be required to rebuild it into a formidable opponent, and this usually requires higher end pics to obtain the players needed to drive that success.

The time it’s going to take to accumulate those pics is the question.

And I listed the Collingwood main mid group as an example of the type of pics that it would likely require. (For the mids group at least)

(I could create more examples but I’m not interested in turning the discussion into a assignment)

You raised the ages of Pendlebury & Sidebottom, (I think as an example of why you never trade top end pic players).

However Collonwood’s decision to hold onto those players for the period they have would be based on their own unique reasons and not on its own an illustration of why it should never be done.

Perhaps they didn’t want to lose the ‘type’ of player (mids who are the engine room of the team), or there was no ‘draw home’ factor, or no one came with big enough offers; who knows?

From where I sit we are uniquely positioned (to potentially) capitalise on two players who may net the team important pics that (could) speed up the climb back upward.

Baker has already held off talks and there are already rumblings about interest from his home state. He himself may even initiate the request so it’s not as if the fabric of the club would be torn if he did so; hopefully the interest would net pics in the teens that could be potentially turned into something better.

And Bolton for me is a striker (Sokka talk). Good strikers can score goals that others can’t; can make things happen and are electric to watch when on song. But to win championships you need a strong box to box midfield, (and our midfield is in no man’s land)

So why wouldn’t we entertain a top 10 pic and a pic in the teens for Bolton (just guessing here) if it came, to start replenishing the midfield with the required talent? (If the offer presented)

And trading a couple of players out doesn’t automatically turn us into North given the other players on the list.

For me these potentialities are worthy of conversation, and the reasons I’ve read as to why we shouldn’t or wouldn’t (from various posters) aren’t very robust.

Last edited:

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
My initial points still stand; the list is in real trouble and more top end talent will be required to rebuild it into a formidable opponent, and this usually requires higher end pics to obtain the players needed drive that success.

The time it’s going to take to accumulate those pics is the question.

And I listed the Collingwood main mid group as an example of the type of pics that it would likely require. (For the mids group at least)

(I could create more examples but I’m not interested in turning the discussion into a assignment)

You raised the ages of Pendlebury & Sidebottom, (I think as an example of why you never trade top end pic players).

However Collonwood’s decision to hold onto those players for the period they have would be based on their own unique reasons and not on its own an illustration of why it should never be done.

Perhaps they didn’t want to lose the ‘type’ of player (mids who are the engine room of the team), or there was no ‘draw home’ factor, or no one came with big enough offers; who knows?

From where I sit we are uniquely positioned (to potentially) capitalise on two players who may net the team important pics that (could) speed up the climb back upward.

Baker has already held off talks and there are already rumblings about interest from his home state. He himself may even initiate the request so it’s not as if the fabric of the club would be torn if he did so; hopefully the interest would net pics in the teens that could be potentially turned into something better.

And Bolton for me is a striker (Sokka talk). Good strikers can score goals that others can’t; can make things happen and are electric to watch when on song. But to win championships you need a strong box to box midfield, (and our midfield is in no man’s land)

So why wouldn’t we entertain a top 10 pic and a pic in the teens for Bolton (just guessing here) if it came, to start replenishing the midfield with the required talent? (If the offer presented)

And trading a couple of players out doesn’t automatically turn us into North given the other players on the list.

For me these potentialities are worthy of conversation, and the reasons I’ve read as to why we shouldn’t or wouldn’t (from various posters) aren’t very robust.

Folks want to keep Bolton because he’s a scintillating talent, our best player.

But they don’t take into account, or refuse to see the perilous state of the list. And how Bolton no longer aligns with our next premiership challenge.

Sometimes you just gotta trade out to set up the future. Judd to Carlton for Kennedy is a good example.

Didn’t happen straight away, but Kennedy eventually spearheaded a flag. The eagles also got picks 3 and 20, used on 200-gamer Chris Masten and the superstar Tony Notte.

What we need to do make hay with our best asset. Build a reliable, big-bodied, contested midfield.

Last edited: