Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
So Kingy is proposing the trade of a 26yo who is unlikely to taste the ultimate success in the next 3-4 years in order to acquire much needed draft capital.

Resetting the age profile to something more akin to a premiership group coming through together.

Makes sense to me.

and just like you, Kingy is wrong on that 1 too.

Reactions: 1 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Love live the King, Shai Bolton that is! Shai is our number one player at this moment and we need him to stay.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
So Kingy is proposing the trade of a 26yo who is unlikely to taste the ultimate success in the next 3-4 years in order to acquire much needed draft capital.

Resetting the age profile to something more akin to a premiership group coming through together.

Makes sense to me.
Carts, Mitch Lewis is overrated and who barely gets on the park.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
The Mitchell/Hawthorn clear the decks strategy is going great 😂
We will be mired like Hawthorn if we expect to simply rise off the back of our standard first round picks year on year.

Bolton, Balta and co. will be past their prime by the time we’ve assembled a half decent list.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Trade Shai get 2 picks & possibly pick up Jayden Post & Dean Polo. No thanks, you don't sell your best asset to buy a pig in a poke.

Very dumb move imo.

We've lost 2 games due to questionable umpiring decisions. Not due to our bad play.
We've got a very long injury list, which is certainly hampering us & some folks are panicking.

A bit of perspective is needed.

Selling Shai is not the answer.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Folks want to keep Bolton because he’s a scintillating talent, our best player.

But they don’t take into account, or refuse to see the perilous state of the list. And how Bolton no longer aligns with our next premiership challenge.

Sometimes you just gotta trade out to set up the future. Judd to Carlton for Kennedy is a good example.

Didn’t happen straight away, but Kennedy eventually spearheaded a flag. The eagles also got picks 3 and 20, used on 200-gamer Chris Masten and the superstar Tony Notte.

What we need to do make hay with our best asset. Build a reliable, big-bodied, contested midfield.
West Coast won a flag 11 years after they traded Judd. They also just missed a few chances while Judd was one of the best players in the league at Carlton.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'm confused by this comment; are you intimating that trading out a player is the equivalent of 'clearing the decks'.

More talking about the Dawks trade strategy since Mitchell took over 76er, in particular end of 2022 when they got rid of a heap of experienced players.

This article from that well-known masthead The Margaret River Mail explains it.

Point is rebuild the list, don't smash the shyte out of it.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
We will be mired like Hawthorn if we expect to simply rise off the back of our standard first round picks year on year.

Bolton, Balta and co. will be past their prime by the time we’ve assembled a half decent list.

See my response to 76er.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
West Coast won a flag 11 years after they traded Judd. They also just missed a few chances while Judd was one of the best players in the league at Carlton.
No the point is they got excellent value from the trade, culminating in a flag featuring a player acquired through it. The longevity of his career is simply testament to the quality of the trade.

As to the second part of your observation, Judd was done at WC and everyone knew it. Trade was more beneficial for WC in the end, despite Judd winning a Charlie at the blues.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
See my response to 76er.
What is being proposed isn’t a “clean out” of experienced players though.

We’d still have Balta, Rioli and co. to represent an even age spread.

FA once Lynch and Martin are gone can also help maintain a healthy age profile.