Pick 33 Discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 33 Discussion

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I think equally as important to pick 12 is what we do with our 2nd pick. We have been banging on about our lack of leg speed however have failed to overlook we just had a 150 game JD medalist retire who will leave a massive hole in the midfield. The grunt work and inside work he did was undervalued.

The good thing is we have the ability to fill that void with this pick.

Therefore I would love one of Neal-Bullen / Gore / Blakely / Miller to be taken here.

Question is will they still be on the board? If not what other players do we look at?

I am no expert nor do I have the opportunity to study the kids like some but I think that several of those guys could be available and which one you pick depends on who you get at 12. This could well be a draft were you would be hard pressed to go wrong early but can make big gains by being astute at 33 or even later. I like the look of Alex hyphen at this pick

Absolutely,have to get a good one this pick.Gore for mine if available.

That's the perfect list there Smokey, I'd be happy to have any one in black & gold. The other guy missing from the list is Cavka, I've thought long and hard about his selection and I've come around somewhat. My initial instincts were he'd simply be a Grigg clone but I think that maybe selling him short a little. Granted, he's not flashy, he's not a contested ball winning machine, but he probably doesn't need to be given he grinds players into the ground through sheer running power. The feature of his game that tipped the scales for me has been his defensive side, this is what gives him the edge over a player like Grigg. His tackle count at the carnival was phenomenal, 7 a game to be exact, at TAC level a tick under 5 with a top score of 14.

In the Phantom Draft I selected Bampton but in hindsight I think I would pick Cavka all things considered. No disrespect to Bampton who I rate very highly but I've been informed his shoulder reconstruction isn't tracking too well and he'll likely be out for 12 months. This means he'll drift out to the third or fourth round, a potential bargain, but too risky for our second.

The other favourite of mine is Daniel McKenzie, I doubt he'll be available but I would have no hesitation in calling out his name. His speed is freakish and he pulled off a very rare feat at the combine, his last attempt was his quickest and came in equal first overall. He strikes me as the prototype rebounding defender.

bullus_hit said:
The other favourite of mine is Daniel McKenzie, I doubt he'll be available but I would have no hesitation in calling out his name. His speed is freakish and he pulled off a very rare feat at the combine, his last attempt was his quickest and came in equal first overall. He strikes me as the prototype rebounding defender.

In the repeat sprints times were interesting 1) 3.84 2) 3.91 3) 4.00 4) 4.02 5) 4.17 6) 4.08
Only the elite can dig a bit deeper on the 6th sprint and go quicker than the 5th effort. I tend to have a close look at the spread of the times rather than just the total

As a comparison, Connor Menadue recorded the following 1) 3.81 2) 3.82 3) 3.99 4) 4.05 5) 4.18 6) 4.29
His first 3 efforts were quicker than McKenzie but the next 3 were slightly slower. Also impressive was Daniel Nielson.

Gus said:
In the repeat sprints times were interesting 1) 3.84 2) 3.91 3) 4.00 4) 4.02 5) 4.17 6) 4.08
Only the elite can dig a bit deeper on the 6th sprint and go quicker than the 5th effort. I tend to have a close look at the spread of the times rather than just the total

As a comparison, Connor Menadue recorded the following 1) 3.81 2) 3.82 3) 3.99 4) 4.05 5) 4.18 6) 4.29
His first 3 efforts were quicker than McKenzie but the next 3 were slightly slower. Also impressive was Daniel Nielson.

Out of interest Gus, who equaled his 4.08 in the sixth sprint?

bullus_hit said:
That's the perfect list there Smokey, I'd be happy to have any one in black & gold. The other guy missing from the list is Cavka, I've thought long and hard about his selection and I've come around somewhat. My initial instincts were he'd simply be a Grigg clone but I think that maybe selling him short a little. Granted, he's not flashy, he's not a contested ball winning machine, but he probably doesn't need to be given he grinds players into the ground through sheer running power. The feature of his game that tipped the scales for me has been his defensive side, this is what gives him the edge over a player like Grigg. His tackle count at the carnival was phenomenal, 7 a game to be exact, at TAC level a tick under 5 with a top score of 14.

In the Phantom Draft I selected Bampton but in hindsight I think I would pick Cavka all things considered. No disrespect to Bampton who I rate very highly but I've been informed his shoulder reconstruction isn't tracking too well and he'll likely be out for 12 months. This means he'll drift out to the third or fourth round, a potential bargain, but too risky for our second.

You mention Cavka and Mckenzie but are they what we need? Even if we go either Weller or Duggan we aren't addressing our inside mid needs. At this pick it's now or never. Either of those I mentioned are ready to go. They would probably have more of an impact next year than the player we get at 12.

Smoking Aces said:
You mention Cavka and Mckenzie but are they what we need? Even if we go either Weller or Duggan we aren't addressing our inside mid needs. At this pick it's now or never. Either of those I mentioned are ready to go. They would probably have more of an impact next year than the player we get at 12.

McKenzie would be my first preference given he brings some much needed speed into the equation, he's a superb athlete but also a very good footballer. Overhead he's strong, his DE is nudging 80% and his endurance is top class. We could do with all of that, particularly coming out of defence. He may not be ready season one but his upside is very high, his improvement over the course of the season shows a sharp upward trend.

As for our inside needs, I'd pick Neal-Bullen first, his performances at SANFL level have been very good. He already has a 30 possession game to his name and runs a pretty mean marathon. He's also a very natural footballer, not quick but very agile and able to play in a number of positions.

Gore comes in next, he reminds me a lot of Caddy and I suspect his impact may be as stunted as Josh. He has played senior football but still lacks some consistency. I'm not so sure he'll be there for the entire duration but possibly 10-12 games.

Miller will play most of the season but not necessarily midfield, his niche for me will be as a forward, at least in season one. His goal kicking has improved out of sight this year and I expect this aspect of his game to be his primary bread and butter.

Blakely will not be available and it's a shame because he will make a very big impact next year. His WAFL form has been solid and he looks to be polishing up his footskills. If I had a pick in the teens I would select him, at 33 I think we've got very little hope.

So in the event that these lads are off the table I think we have to look at a good all-rounder like Cavka, who I believe will feature prominantly in 2015. He can run a 16.8 beep which means he will be a set of fresh legs in a very long season. His contested game isn't too bad either, not elite, but he could be relied upon to win the odd clearance and do his fair share of defensive work. He's also a goal kicker and has kicked some handy bags throughout the season. In all probability I think the chances of success are high, maybe not to an A-class level but a solid depth player who has a role. With limited rotations I think endurance athletes can earn their keep, Cavka would be close to top of the class where that's concerned.

Connor Menadue
Alex Neal-Bullen
Touk Miller
Dean Gore
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

Gave to be atleast 1 available at #33

turk-d-tiger said:
Connor Menadue
Alex Neal-Bullen
Touk Miller
Dean Gore
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

Realistically I think only Gore & DVR will be available, in which case I'd pick Gore.

bullus_hit said:
Realistically I think only Gore & DVR will be available, in which case I'd pick Gore.
Miller may just be there also, There is a bit of quality about this draft and it only takes 2-3 teams to reach for some talls and you never know what might fall through

Cockatoo
Gore
Boekhorst
Rose

I would take that and be over the moon with the result

turk-d-tiger said:
Connor Menadue
Alex Neal-Bullen
Touk Miller
Dean Gore
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

great list. I would add Jackson Nelson and Cavka also and we can't go wrong.

It's a raffle. Anyone could be on the board.

This years draft will see a lot of extended time taken for each pick.

But it's a good pick, should get a A grade prospect. I think it has to be a mid as well.

Read elsewhere that we may have an interest in Daniel Howe at pick 33 (presumably depending on who else is available). I like the cut of his jib. He played mostly as a mobile KPD this year but racked up the ball, averaged 17 touches at the carnival along with 4 marks, 2 tackles and 2 clearances. I reckon long term he projects as a big bodied mid. Has nice disposal and a very strong mark.

lamb22 said:
Clem Smith

Would love him at 52 but not 33. Has awful endurance. Cal Twomey seems to think he'll be lucky to get drafted and if he does it'll probably be to WCE

Stylo said:
Would love him at 52 but not 33. Has awful endurance. Cal Twomey seems to think he'll be lucky to get drafted and if he does it'll probably be to WCE

Absolutely magnificent kick and decision maker.

Can find the ball.

First in the agility test and high up in kicking at the combine.

Went about 83% efficiency in the championships.

He IS EXACTLY what we need coming out of the back 50 or on a wing.

Added to Garlett or Cockatoo at 12 and Shane Yarran at 70 odd we'd have X factor covered.

Will never happen though with Dimma's fear of flair.

lamb22 said:
Absolutely magnificent kick and decision maker.

Can find the ball.

First in the agility test and high up in kicking at the combine.

Went about 83% efficiency in the championships.

He IS EXACTLY what we need coming out of the back 50 or on a wing.

Added to Garlett or Cockatoo at 12 and Shane Yarran at 70 odd we'd have X factor covered.

Will never happen though with Dimma's fear of flair.

Smith's kicking is the biggest knock on him. Have you seen him play or are you just going off stats?