Pick 53: Jack Graham | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 53: Jack Graham

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I don't think Fridge will ever be a star. But for a mid 40s (?) Draft pick, he's giving what I'd hope for. The frustration is the lack of talent around him.
Dusty, Presty, Cotch, Shedda, Lamblett all been missing at times so far. Shai n Fridge been the only constants n that plays havoc with team set up n performance as a bunch of fringies n developers get game time. Nothing wrong with the way Fridge is playing so far this year.

Reactions: 2 users

tropicaltiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Jan 11, 2003
cairns
shedda been put under the microscope for fumbly and poor start to the season, jackyboy has been similar or worse

sonsie, RCD, Stack, Cumbers, dow, brown, banks and clarke must be breathing down their necks.

Reactions: 1 users

Brooklyn Tiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
didn't Fridge have an interrupted preseason too? I remember being surprise they rushed him bak for rd.1 after missing a huge chunk of the summer training period post xmas. Has to be a factor

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
The game style by the top sides is super fast.
Graham looks like he is running in snow.
Not sure you can use interrupted pre season excuse at round 8, when he hasn't missed a game

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Covered 15.2km, most of any player on the ground. Covered 3km at top speed, most of any Richmond player on the ground and second only to Naish at 3.1km. Average moving speed of 9.9km/h most of any player on the ground. Had 19 sprint efforts, 5th most of any player on the ground. And finally, equal highest average speed in defense (when Richmond doesn’t have the ball) of 9.2km/h.

Arguably, our hardest working midfielder.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

tropicaltiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Jan 11, 2003
cairns
Covered 15.2km, most of any player on the ground. Covered 3km at top speed, most of any Richmond player on the ground and second only to Naish at 3.1km. Average moving speed of 9.9km/h most of any player on the ground. Had 19 sprint efforts, 5th most of any player on the ground. And finally, equal highest average speed in defense (when Richmond doesn’t have the ball) of 9.2km/h.

useless stat as he hardly catches anyone

so in the words of jack dyer

"he gets to where the ball aint"

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021

Weren't they talking about this last week on Fox.
There are current player's over running in games, where players like Langdon are smashing it because they stay located to a position and is used as a bail out option.
Graham isn't winning it in tight and barely see him used a open option.
Someone needs to correct his running patterns because he might be running 20 kms a game but 10 of those km are useless.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008

RCD in 2nd with 14.2kms covered and RCD was also equal first with Graham for average speed in defence.

If RCD is our 2nd hardest working mid by those means then these stats are worthless

• Wow

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
The game style by the top sides is super fast.
Graham looks like he is running in snow.
Not sure you can use interrupted pre season excuse at round 8, when he hasn't missed a game

Can't remember the exact time in the game but Graham gets the ball just forward of CHB kicks long (50m) to the wing and then runs to get the handball then kicks long again into the forward 50. Nothing slow about that piece of play and it was not early in the game.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
RCD in 2nd with 14.2kms covered and RCD was also equal first with Graham for average speed in defence.

If RCD is our 2nd hardest working mid by those means then these stats are worthless
Says who?

If our coaching staff see value in the defensive running, then that's what counts. Not every team plays the same way. We might give very specific roles to people that require running to keep our zones together.
Dimma has often said we don't value the basic stats the way the media or other clubs do. We play differently. We'll know if the coaches think Graham or RCD are doing what is asked if them. Cause if they aren't, they'll be back in the magoos in no time.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Can't remember the exact time in the game but Graham gets the ball just forward of CHB kicks long (50m) to the wing and then runs to get the handball then kicks long again into the forward 50. Nothing slow about that piece of play and it was not early in the game.
That's fantastic but we need 10 of those not 2.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Says who?

If our coaching staff see value in the defensive running, then that's what counts. Not every team plays the same way. We might give very specific roles to people that require running to keep our zones together.
Dimma has often said we don't value the basic stats the way the media or other clubs do. We play differently. We'll know if the coaches think Graham or RCD are doing what is asked if them. Cause if they aren't, they'll be back in the magoos in no time.
Was more pointing out that being “arguably the hardest working midfielder" because of some running stats doesn't necessarily mean much if RCD is similar.

Both are pretty poor midfielders, although RCD's scope as a mid is better so I would like to see us persist for a few more games

Reactions: 1 user

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Both are pretty poor midfielders, although RCD's scope as a mid is better so I would like to see us persist for a few more games
What have used to determine they are both *poor* midfielders?

That's a huge statement.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
What have used to determine they are both *poor* midfielders?

That's a huge statement.
RCD - Poor tank, running patterns and consistent inability to rack up disposals at VFL level. In times where our midfield has been depleted and crying out for a big bodied mid he has been overlooked. His next few weeks probably decide whether he gets delisted or not.

Graham - Dimma isn't even playing him in the midfield at the moment so that should tell what kind of quality midfielder Dimma sees him as. Graham has lined up mostly at HFF with occasional wing time this season, even at a time we've been missing Dusty, Lambert & Cotchin. I can't even recall seeing him at a centre bounce this year.

We'd be lucky to get a 2nd round pick if we bundled these two up in a trade so I don't think it's a huge statement in my opinion

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne

Yep.. he ran and ran and ran all day v WC. Lots if non ball running. With ball in had delivers well most times at pace. No way know he gets dropped.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
RCD - Poor tank, running patterns and consistent inability to rack up disposals at VFL level. In times where our midfield has been depleted and crying out for a big bodied mid he has been overlooked. His next few weeks probably decide whether he gets delisted or not.

Graham - Dimma isn't even playing him in the midfield at the moment so that should tell what kind of quality midfielder Dimma sees him as. Graham has lined up mostly at HFF with occasional wing time this season, even at a time we've been missing Dusty, Lambert & Cotchin. I can't even recall seeing him at a centre bounce this year.

We'd be lucky to get a 2nd round pick if we bundled these two up in a trade so I don't think it's a huge statement in my opinion
Graham plays midfield the same way Lambert plays midfield. rarely in at the centre square, but then push up the ground in play, either replacing Dusty or Bolton, or just as an a high HFF/extra mid.