Pick 53: Jack Graham | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 53: Jack Graham

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
So Gold Coast are offering pick 7? That is one helluva salary cap dump. What's the catch here?

Just to clarify, I do not mean that GC have made this offer to us for Graham. They have apparently made it known around the league that Pick 7 is available to a fair offer but it includes Jack Bowes.

Bowes' contract is apparently massively backloaded, and GC are in cap trouble.

Reactions: 2 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Just to clarify, I do not mean that GC have made this offer to us for Graham. They have apparently made it known around the league that Pick 7 is available to a fair offer but it includes Jack Bowes.

Bowes' contract is apparently massively backloaded, and GC are in cap trouble.
Well, pick 7 & 12 would be a very powerful hand, Bowes not a terrible acquisition if we could squeeze him in.

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
If have heard (I'll admit not from a great source) that he is owed $1.6 million for the next two years.
This is a novel concept, taking over inflated contracts & being rewarded with draft picks. I'm all ears now, backload Taranto & Hopper & get him in. You can basically grab Cadman with 7 & 12, or you can get Jefferson & Keeler, so many options.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
It makes no real sense to me that we would bring in Hopper and move out Graham. I don't see a huge uptick in skill and productivity if we were to do that, and it weakens the overall midfield strength that we would gain from adding two quality players to a mix that is somewhat threadbare right now.
I feel like i'm taking crazy pills when it comes to our supporters opinions on Graham. How could someone not see an uptick in productivity if we switched Graham for Hopper. We heavily rely on poor Dion to do the heavy lifting of our midfield because Graham has been unable to take the next step.

Our centre clearance work is a massive weakness for us.

Lets look at both players uninterrupted 2021 seasons

2021 seasonGrahamHopper
Kicks10.013.5
Handballs9.012.8
Disposals19.026.4
Contested Possessions6.012.0
Centre Clearances0.72.3
Stoppage clearances1.14.1
Tackles5.53.8
One percenters0.70.9

What Hopper is going to offer us as a mid compared to Graham is chalk and cheese. One is a high productivity clearance mid, and the other applies pressure because he can't get the ball.

Reactions: 7 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I feel like i'm taking crazy pills when it comes to our supporters opinions on Graham. How could someone not see an uptick in productivity if we switched Graham for Hopper. We heavily rely on poor Dion to do the heavy lifting of our midfield because Graham has been unable to take the next step.

Our centre clearance work is a massive weakness for us.

Lets look at both players uninterrupted 2021 seasons

2021 seasonGrahamHopper
Kicks10.013.5
Handballs9.012.8
Disposals19.026.4
Contested Possessions6.012.0
Centre Clearances0.72.3
Stoppage clearances1.14.1
Tackles5.53.8
One percenters0.70.9

What Hopper is going to offer us as a mid compared to Graham is chalk and cheese. One is a high productivity clearance mid, and the other applies pressure because he can't get the ball.
Graham splits his time in the forward line, I'm not so sure it's apples for apples. Hopper is a marginal improvement for clearances but what are we actually giving up? If it turns out to be pick 19 & Graham I'm less than enthused.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Graham splits his time in the forward line, I'm not so sure it's apples for apples. Hopper is a marginal improvement for clearances but what are we actually giving up? If it turns out to be pick 19 & Graham I'm less than enthused.
Graham does that this year though because he’s been unable to impact in the midfield.

He’s played predominantly HF this year, and that can’t be his long term position. He’s a mid or bust. His HF position is more likely to be taken by Clarke/Short.

Reactions: 1 user

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
When comparing Hopper to Graham it's worth keeping in mind Graham had very little competition to get a midfield spot and still didn't get one, Hopper on the other hand is a walk up start in a side that has been hot competition for midfield spots for a long time now. Compare Prestia, Cotchin, Short, Ross, Martin/Bolton to Kelly, Coniglio, Hopper, Green, Taranto, Ward & Ash it highlights the difference in depth between the two

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
He was runners up in the B&F last year, I think this is a hasty & reactive move. Unless we get extra currency I cannot see any point trading him, Hopper is a similar type, albeit with a few extra runs on the board.
Yep. If Fridge was wanting to go back home to Sth Aust then do the best deal possibly obtained, but not sure he's one we'd want to be nudging out the door.
Everyone at footy clubs knows there's a certain amount of cut throat competition at the elite level, but clubs should always tread very carefully when looking at moving the core character out the door.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
This is a novel concept, taking over inflated contracts & being rewarded with draft picks. I'm all ears now, backload Taranto & Hopper & get him in. You can basically grab Cadman with 7 & 12, or you can get Jefferson & Keeler, so many options.
Are you forgetting that we need to pay Gee Whizz something for Tarantino n the Grasshopper Bully? Doubt that they'd leave us to keep picks 7 and 12 or 19 n possibly 30 for taking their salary dump.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
This is what the new ruling is.

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
Dont disagree re the need for role players but i see Ross taking the step up in the next few years and i see him as an upgrade to Graham. Short has just been terrible for almost 2 years now. Most of his metres gained have no real hurt factor and he is now becoming a complete liability without the ball and a lot of times even with it.
Gee, I like Ross but he hasn’t made it just yet. He’s still a whipping boy to many and he’s only just strung a few good games together. Graham is well ahead, but that’s only my opinion.
As far as Short goes, not many players have his kicking ability. He’s the polish you need when the team fires. Until then you wait patiently.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Are you forgetting that we need to pay Gee Whizz something for Tarantino n the Grasshopper Bully? Doubt that they'd leave us to keep picks 7 and 12 or 19 n possibly 30 for taking their salary dump.
I could be well wide of the mark here but if we are taking all of Hoppers salary, which IMO is a bargaining chip for us as they'll be over the cap if the trade isn't done, then that should mean they can't ask for top price at the trade table.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
I could be well wide of the mark here but if we are taking all of Hoppers salary, which IMO is a bargaining chip for us as they'll be over the cap if the trade isn't done, then that should mean they can't ask for top price at the trade table.
Yep.
The good thing is that the players have made the call as soon as the season ended, leaving plenty of time for all the meedjia speculation and list manager huffing and puffing while the genuine negotiations are carried out in private. Theoretically by the time trade week rolls around there's bugger all left to argue about n the deals go through without any fuss, unless of course someone decides to channel their inner Dodo n fudge the deal at the last minute.

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
He may split his time in the forward line, but they both kick as many goals as each other.
Graham to hopper isn’t even a comparison IMO, completely different players. Hopper is better in almost every aspect of the game, but that doesn’t mean I’d like JG to go.

With Jack, I think he’s in the age group we shouldn’t be losing. And with our recent history of not asking enough for players we have walked to other clubs, I’d rather us not trade him.

Reactions: 5 users

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Wow, this is a game changer, I'd be looking at ways to get that pick 7.
There will be 17 clubs trying I am sure, such a great opportunity but we would probably need to lose two players to make room as it must be a sizeable contract and then Bowes would also have to pick us.

tigertough12

Tiger Superstar
Jun 3, 2004
Graham is not going anywhere, he’ll be the Lambert replacement… in fact his contract will be extended next year

Reactions: 4 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
There will be 17 clubs trying I am sure, such a great opportunity but we would probably need to lose two players to make room as it must be a sizeable contract and then Bowes would also have to pick us.
17 clubs could try all they want but end of the day there is only 1 person that makes the decision and thats jack Bowes
He goes to the club he selects and GC has no choice but to deal with that club but you dont take a $1.6 mil salary dump for pick #7 and sacrifice your TPP and players like Bolton if it doesnt fit your list.

1. Off load players you dont need (Soldo , Castagna and maybe Graham if you see another player can do his role)
2. Convince Bowes to come on a new deal 3 x $500k

Thats the only way i see Richmond having any chance to get #7