Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite

Young and inexperienced I know.
But gets caught out of position, goes to ground and is so slow.
A liability tonight, if he was a few inches shorter he wouldn't get a game.
Hard on him but I can't see him making it

willo said:
Young and inexperienced I know.
But gets caught out of position, goes to ground and is so slow.
A liability tonight, if he was a few inches shorter he wouldn't get a game.
Hard on him but I can't see him making it

Too early to call for the type of player we think or hope he will be, 2nd or 3rd defender. But hard to disagree. I don't think the pace is a worry, or courage, its the fumbles that worry me.

tigersnake said:
Too early to call for the type of player we think or hope he will be, 2nd or 3rd defender. But hard to disagree. I don't think the pace is a worry, or courage, its the fumbles that worry me.

And composure, and losing one on ones, and...
Even when we won last few weeks he battled

fastin bulbous said:
Defenders had poor positioning all night. It was hard to see from out here in iPad land buts something was going really wrong down there.

At the ground we seemed to lose our defensive structure more as the game went on.

They seem to dominate the clearances and create an easy overlap running the ball from attacking positions which meant we couldn’t create the extra defender running across to spoil. Our defence was flat footed and could jump to spoil.

The sad story is there is none in the 2's.
Shocking list management.
No decent back up ruckman and no tall defender

He certainly seems to struggling under the weight of AFL footy.
Shows some signs here and there but he doesn't seem/look as though playing footy comes naturally to him.

Bullarto Tiger said:
He certainly seems to struggling under the weight of AFL footy.
Shows some signs here and there but he doesn't seem/look as though playing footy comes naturally to him.

To be fair Grimes looked like a player who less than 10 games under his belt last night. When the midfield is getting smashed & the ball coming in with ease he was always going to be under the pump. Brown was to big & god knows why Astbury didn't go to him when Brown was deep.

Smoking Aces said:
Hardwick through him under the bus tonight.

Grimes should have taken Browne.

Browns 1st goal was from a soft free against Grimes.
His 2nd from a soft free against Garth.
His 3rd from an out on the full.
His 4th he got out the back when the roos were streaming forward with loose players everywhere.
His 5th he outmarked Garth, and Balta.

Brown beat Garth, but i dont think he 'monstered' him.

Brodders17 said:
Browns 1st goal was from a soft free against Grimes.
His 2nd from a soft free against Garth.
His 3rd from an out on the full.
His 4th he got out the back when the roos were streaming forward with loose players everywhere.
His 5th he outmarked Garth, and Balta.

Brown beat Garth, but i dont think he 'monstered' him.

good post. Brown kicked 1 good goal.

Garth has done ok. I'd like to see him grab the ball more and back himself in. Seems hesitant to do so and continually taps it in front of him instead. At some stage he's going to have to start taking responsibility for some disposals but he's gaining some great experience.

Anyone would think that a young key defender with less than 20 games experience should be tearing games apart

Jason King said:
This was rubbish. Lynch would have to get his arm ripped off (hello Marley Williams you peice of sh!t) to get a free these days.
Dusty gets held like that when the ball is 100mtrs away.

Richo and Leppa do a rundown on Garthy in Coaches Corner this week. They reckon he's doing OK for a bloke thrown in the deep end this year and so do I.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/roar-vision

Agree. Our best one on one player this year and leading spoiler. There is a reason he is getting the big jobs ahead of Astbury and Broad. By the time Rance gets back it will be one of those two looking over their shoulder IMHO.

Bill James said:
Agree. Our best one on one player this year and leading spoiler. There is a reason he is getting the big jobs ahead of Astbury and Broad. By the time Rance gets back it will be one of those two looking over their shoulder IMHO.

Please. Best one on one player? Do you include contests where he has trailed his opponent?

Juries out for mine, yes he has time but he has average speed/agility. Can’t see him being a reliable long term key defender.

MD Jazz said:
Please. Best one on one player? Do you include contests where he has trailed his opponent?

Juries out for mine, yes he has time but he has average speed/agility. Can’t see him being a reliable long term key defender.

Slower then a 98 year old.
Astbury and him should be in the Guinness book of records, for the slowest competitive sports people.
It makes me sick thinking Collingwood got Roughead and we decided on Weller.