Pivotal draft selections | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pivotal draft selections

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I was enjoying some 2019 games yesterday and got to thinking that one of the most pivotal and unlikely draft selections that led to our dynasty was Rioli over Himmelberg in 2015. All the phantoms had us taking Harry and us preers were suitably shocked (and outraged in some cases). If you have a look here

It was quite an astute pick but more importantly it was the moment we went all in on intuitive, happy clappy footy that led to success. I am a fan of himmelburg but glad we went small!

Any other examples people want to share?

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'm looking forward to RCD becoming a star in 2022. This will be extra sweet after Carlton got spooked and sold the farm for Stocker when they traded a draft pick so they could get ahead of us.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
RCD , Dow , Sonsie , Ralphsmith , Ross hopefull all have great years and start pushing the older brigade for spots in the team

The future of our midfiled

Reactions: 3 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Himmelburg is a very good player.

I have often spruiked the idea of him being our Jack replacement if he wants to come over.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
In 2007 we took Alex Rance at 18
In 2009 we took David Astbury at 35
In 2012 we took Nick Vlastuin at 9

3 key parts of what I consider to be one of the best backlines ever, our back 6 in 2017. We stole Bachar from Essendon, picked up Grimes in the PSD and Broad as a late pick mature ager.

Assembling that backline was just as important as the mosquito fleet small forwards and the 3 traded in at the end of 2016 in that premiership success.

I’m hoping Gibcus over Hobbs may be seen the same one day. A long term high quality key back is very important imo .

Reactions: 12 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

3 key parts of what I consider to be one of the best backlines ever, our back 6 in 2017. We stole Bachar from Essendon, picked up Grimes in the PSD and Broad as a late pick mature ager.

Assembling that backline was just as important as the mosquito fleet small forwards and the 3 traded in at the end of 2016 in that premiership success.

I’m hoping Gibcus over Hobbs may be seen the same one day. A long term high quality key back is very important imo .
A great coach gets the very best out of his players.
Good drafting is important but player development more so.
We’ve got a great club and a great coach.
Our new draftees have every possible chance to be very good players at RFC

Reactions: 2 users

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
A great coach gets the very best out of his players.
Good drafting is important but player development more so.
We’ve got a great club and a great coach.
Our new draftees have every possible chance to be very good players at RFC
Chicken or Egg

you cant develop rubbish

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Chicken or Egg

you cant develop rubbish
Very few high draft picks are rubbish.
Look at the amount of high draft picks teams like Melbourne, Richmond and Carlton have burnt through in their bad times.
Until you get your club structures right, there’s every chance that a good young player won’t develop at a rubbish club.
Then look at the amount of rookies and PSD players that we’ve turned into very good players.
Coincidence? Luck?
I’m backing coaches and organisation over great drafting for our success.
And I prefer chicken

Reactions: 5 users

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Very few high draft picks are rubbish.
Look at the amount of high draft picks teams like Melbourne, Richmond and Carlton have burnt through in their bad times.
Until you get your club structures right, there’s every chance that a good young player won’t develop at a rubbish club.
Then look at the amount of rookies and PSD players that we’ve turned into very good players.
Coincidence? Luck?
I’m backing coaches and organisation over great drafting for our success.
And I prefer chicken
I would say at least 50% of high draft picks 1-20 would be a fail

as i said you cant develop rubbish

Talent recognition and drafting is the most important

Carltns development was always rubbish but talent rises above MacKay , Walsh Curnow , Cripps
rubbish fails LOB , Dow , SPS etc

Same club same develpment

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

Carltns development was always rubbish but talent rises above MacKay , Walsh Curnow , Cripps

And same recruiters

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London

Grimes 2010 pre-season draft must be at the top of that list. An astonishing pick in hindsight.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
2014 rookie draft deserves a mention here.

Pick 11 Short
Pick 29 Castagna
Pick 46 Kane Lambert
Pick 68 Ivan Soldo

Fair haul that.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

This is why I fear that eventually Carlton will become a good team. It is like Melbourne, when you are rubbish for so long even with poor player development eventually the sheer number of talented players coming in leads to some success.
We never had that when we were rubbish because we had compromised drafts with the suns and the giants coming in

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I was enjoying some 2019 games yesterday and got to thinking that one of the most pivotal and unlikely draft selections that led to our dynasty was Rioli over Himmelberg in 2015. All the phantoms had us taking Harry and us preers were suitably shocked (and outraged in some cases). If you have a look here

It was quite an astute pick but more importantly it was the moment we went all in on intuitive, happy clappy footy that led to success. I am a fan of himmelburg but glad we went small!

Daniel Rioli was the spark and changed the way we played and a big catalyst to our dynasty. His energy was infectious to his teammates. It was sad seeing him stagnate the last couple of years and you could see he wasn't enjoying his footy until the move to the backline. Hope he stays there as I can see him giving us alot of drive and energy once again. Big call - reckon he goes AA in the backline in '22.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

I dont think we could have got Himmleberg- he was an academy pick for the Giants.
we were lucky- we pikced Matt Kennedy first- But the Giants nabbed him as an academy pick before he moved to the blooze. we then picked Hipwood- academy pick for the Bears, before settling on Rioli.

Maybe Kennedy would have turned out alright with us. Hipwood would probably have been ok, if he could play the "richmond way". but glad we ended up with Rioli.