Players by draft number | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Players by draft number

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
NATIONAL DRAFT

2. Cotchin.
2. Taranto*. Ex GWS
3. Martin
7. Hopper.* Ex GWS
9. Vlastuin.
9. Prestia* Ex Suns
9. Gibcus

11. T Lynch** Ex Suns
13. Riewoldt
15. Rioli.
15. Tarrant** Ex North.
17. Browne.

21. Dow
25. Balta.
28. Sonsie
29. Bolton.
29. Banks
30. Clarke

31. Mcintosh.
35. Nankervis* Ex-Sydney.
40. Ryan
43. Ross
43. Cumberland
46. Ralphsmith

51. M Rioli
53. Graham.
54. Nyuon
63. Miller
67. Broad.

Pre Season Draft
Grimes.

Rookies
Short (now upgraded)
Castagna (now upgraded).
Soldo (now upgraded)
Baker (now upgraded)
Pickett (mid-season )
Bauer (mid-season)
Colina (Cat B).

PSSSP
Mansell

KEY
* Traded
** Free Agency

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Just in case you're interested
These are our player's original draft order

Most players come through the draft in the first 50

There are a few provisions below as to how we got them

* = traded

tigertough

Tiger Rookie
Dec 18, 2002
It would be interesting to look at the success rates of picks 50+ in the National Draft compared to the success rates of the rookie list selections. Since the scinece of the draft has only been in the last 10 seasons possibly we should look at this as of 2004. My gut feeling is that it is pretty similar.

Then , I would like to compare the RFC success rates against other teams. Are we having as much success as other clubs or are we less successful?

Then, we have the old argument, is it recruiting or development? :rofl :rofl

I would love to have the time to analyse this.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
nicely done DDT. Puts an interesting spin on the list. Post Beck, we've done pretty well. And when you consider the resources we had, very well. Also trajectory is up, (as are resources).

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Would be interesting to see other teams make ups and how many top 10 picks they have on their lists.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
SkillzThatKillz said:
Would be interesting to see other teams make ups and how many top 10 picks they have on their lists.

My guess is that our numbers are pretty high (ignore GWS and Suns) as other clubs (say over the last 5 to 8 year) who were cellar dwellers along with us include Melbourne (recruiting disaster), Carlton (about to trade out 2 recent top 10 picks), Brisbane (they are all walking out) - guess Essendon, North, Port and WCE would have similar numbers playing compared to us.

Having a high number in our top 22 is good as it shows we are recruiting well.

My back of the envelope analysis ignore previous regular finalist of Collingwood, Geelong, Sydney, St Kilda and Doggies.

Good work DDT - my reading of that list is that we haven't made the most of the cheapie pick ups (ie rookies)

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
This seems the perfect place for this.

Frank must get better at 2nd & 3rd rounders. This article makes so much sense.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/late-picks-more-important-than-first-rounders-in-longterm-success-says-draft-data-20141129-11v9ea.html

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
SCOOP said:
This seems the perfect place for this.

Frank must get better at 2nd & 3rd rounders. This article makes so much sense.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/late-picks-more-important-than-first-rounders-in-longterm-success-says-draft-data-20141129-11v9ea.html

Good one Scoop
Interesting to see a recruiter stated that recruiting is important but list planning, resources, infrastructure and development are also important. It's a holistic process.
I appreciate that the current RFC are very good at the holistic process.

B

Bill James

tigertough said:
It would be interesting to look at the success rates of picks 50+ in the National Draft compared to the success rates of the rookie list selections. Since the scinece of the draft has only been in the last 10 seasons possibly we should look at this as of 2004. My gut feeling is that it is pretty similar.

Then , I would like to compare the RFC success rates against other teams. Are we having as much success as other clubs or are we less successful?

Then, we have the old argument, is it recruiting or development? :rofl :rofl

I would love to have the time to analyse this.

Its hard to find a measure to compare players other than games played and then it becomes self defeating.

For example, if a team is brilliantly successful with its 1st round picks over 10 years then its second and third round picks will have less opportunity. Similarly if a team is crap with its 1st round picks, its second and third round picks will look inspired basically because 22 players have hit the field every week and if it aint the first rounders it will be the others. That said, games played is probably the place to start, especially across the whole draft not one club.

Reactions: 1 user