Poll: Was season 2022 a Success or Failure? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Poll: Was season 2022 a Success or Failure?

Was season 2022 a Success or Failure?

• Success

Votes: 38 30.4%
  • Failure

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • Cheese Sandwich

Votes: 28 22.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Pros: Finals achieved. Some very good kids blooded. Significantly less reliance on Dusty. Lynch having his best season with us. Growth of Bolton and Baker (and Ross to a lesser extent). No. 1 for points scored.

Cons: Should have made top 4, but lost all of the close games, some of them in farcical manner. Constant soft tissue injuries. Last in free kick differential. Lack of midfield/clearance depth. Defence giving away too many big scores. Disappointing seasons from the likes of Grimes, Balta and Castagna.

Reactions: 4 users
I voted cheese sandwich in the absence of “neither” or “where we should be”.

I had us finishing 7th at the start of the year so I’m not disappointed or overtly positive. It’s natural. We’re in the decline stage of the footy life cycle. And I expect we might decline a bit more next year before we trend back up.

We have a fair bit to work on and I think we’re about where we should be.

Reactions: 8 users
Certainly a fail and a wasted year. Our best is still good enough, but the gap to our worst is too great.

I'm not convinced we're in the decline phase just yet with the group overall with the proviso that:
- we recruit two quality midfielders who can win clearance/stoppage and use it;
- we get fit and rectify the soft tissue injuries experienced all season;
- we structurally address clearance/stoppage and associated ruck work;
- we redefine how we defend under the current rules - especially 6-6-6.
- we need to draft a young tall key forward to get 12 months VFL into.

Assuming Cotchin and Riewoldt go on & Dusty gets fit, I see us strongly in contention in 2023.

Reactions: 2 users
Cheese sandwich.

Bitterly disappointed as I always am after a loss, but my opinion is without Prestia we wouldn't have gotten any further anyway. Maybe not even with him. I thought our back half leaked too many easy goals that Grimes' presence would have stopped. We missed him terribly too. Those 2 out and we were pretty much doomed.

Very good experience for Sonsie, Cumberland, Miller and Gibcus, so that's something. We've found 4 there.
Need to find 1 more Cumberland (a bit taller please footy gods), 1 more Gibcus/Miller and 2 more Sonsies this off season.
If we can do that, then this year will be a roaring success.

Reactions: 2 users
Cheese Sandwich

We made the finals. Blooded some kids who look the goods. Forward line best in the AFL. Didn't get thumped by anyone.

Should have finished Top 4 if not for last minute brain fades. Threw away the game in the Elim.

Season wasn't a failure, nor a success. But we're in a good position to improve next year, especially if Truck comes back to Punt Rd and fixes the defence.

Reactions: 4 users
I voted cheese sandwich in the absence of “neither” or “where we should be”.

I had us finishing 7th at the start of the year so I’m not disappointed or overtly positive. It’s natural. We’re in the decline stage of the footy life cycle. And I expect we might decline a bit more next year before we trend back up.

We have a fair bit to work on and I think we’re about where we should be.
Same here, a toasted cheese sandwich which tasted good but the cheese kept sliding out.

Reactions: 1 users
Same here, a toasted cheese sandwich which tasted good but the cheese kept sliding out.
yep. i just had one for lunch with tomato, some cheese melted out but became that delicious crispy bit

'replenishing' is the word Dimma uses and i'm on that boat

the way we lost last night was a disappointing end to the season - for all the wrong reasons
and we'll take weird comfort in that - i think -

Failure for mine. I felt 2021 was an abberation because we were cooked after 2020. I went into 2022 expecting to make top 4 and be the main challenger to Melbourne.

Reactions: 1 user
Failure for mine. I felt 2021 was an abberation because we were cooked after 2020. I went into 2022 expecting to make top 4 and be the main challenger to Melbourne.
Yeah 2021 was aberration, but I'd call this season a failure if we didn't make finals. Best thing is that all/most losses were close and we could've/should've won and finished top 4. Playing the kids was also the positive sign.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s a pass for sure. No Martin and Lambert for majority of year. Blooded some great youngsters, and were robbed of a finals win.

Cheese sandwich for me. Success in that we finished higher than I expected and we unveiled some young talent and gave them valuable experience. Failure in the sense that we didn’t progress past the EF stage and seemed to not learn from mistakes by regularly giving up leads and suffering narrow losses.

It’s a very interesting question .

Yes we found some kids , however we also found out quite a few kids are not up to it

We lost premiership players which gives us a fresh start , we played some great footy, we had some of the most woeful 15 minutes of footy that have been played .

I give us a pass , though in saying that I thought we could have , should have played off in this GF with the talent we had , however injuries and form can’t be seen in the crystal ball

Our best is good enough to win it all. This might have been our last shot with our dynasty core. It was for sure Shedda's last shot. Some positives to come out of it but I have to call it a failure. If Lynch is still in his prime next year and Dusty is rejuvenated then maybe we can go again.

I went cheese sandwich.
Think I predicted us 11th.
Actually can't remember.

Maybe a fail...just.