Polygamy (Split from Christianity thread) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Polygamy (Split from Christianity thread)

Six Pack said:
I don't think you have grasped the nature of my question, Lily.
Don't get mad.

I've answered your question over and over again SuxPack.

However, why don;t you answer mine:

what is your ethical/moral thoughts on polygamy then?

Liverpool said:
Frankly, I don't give a sh!t whether it flies or not with you self opinionated morally superior beings.

Mate, ever heard of tongue-in-cheek? As for us being self opinionated and morally superior, LMAO. You're the one who brands anyone and anything that doesn't conform to your beliefs wrong and unnatural.

Disco08 said:
Mate, ever heard of tongue-in-cheek? As for us being self opinionated and morally superior, LMAO. You're the one who brands anyone and anything that doesn't conform to your beliefs wrong and unnatural.

and i have no morals.

Disco08 said:

Oh...I doubt VERY much that it is just about MY beliefs that anything but a man/woman union is unnatural.... ;)

Put it this way.....you have 2 desert islands.
Desert Island A has two healthy blokes on it who are attracted to each other.
Desert Island B has a healthy bloke and a healthy sheila who are attracted to each other.
Which desert island will still have a race alive on it in 150 years?

I don't think it's all about MY beliefs you know.... :)

I'm still waiting on yours, Lily. U have sidetracked, u have brought up the law, religion, how u were brought up, but u havent told us yr stance and why u have it.

Liverpool said:
Oh...I doubt VERY much that it is just about MY beliefs that anything but a man/woman union is unnatural.... ;)

Put it this way.....you have 2 desert islands.
Desert Island A has two healthy blokes on it who are attracted to each other.
Desert Island B has a healthy bloke and a healthy sheila who are attracted to each other.
Which desert island will still have a race alive on it in 150 years?

I don't think it's all about MY beliefs you know.... :)

Are you saying the people's parents should allow their children to mate with eachother? Don't you think they'd run into some trouble with this first generation cross-breeding?

Now, I reckon a desert island with one man and lots of women who weren't related (or vice-versa) would stand a far better chance. Seriously, if your looking to get your moral standpoint from what best promotes the human race, clearly polygamy is going to win hands down every time.

And Livers, anyone reading your posts would be left with no other conclusion to draw other than it's your way or the highway as far as you're concerned. You never budge on a single issue, even when your views are proved to be, well, let's say skewed.

Scouse is too soft for the christianity thread. Go back to politics.

Six Pack said:
I'm still waiting on yours, Lily. U have sidetracked, u have brought up the law, religion, how u were brought up, but u havent told us yr stance and why u have it.

I have told you my stance!
It is MY belief it is morally wrong when you have vows aimed at the love of one woman and then proceed to spin the same yarn to multiple women.
I don't know how much more I can simplify my stance to you... :don't know

Disco08 said:
And Livers, anyone reading your posts would be left with no other conclusion to draw other than it's your way or the highway as far as you're concerned. You never budge on a single issue, even when your views are proved to be, well, let's say skewed.

Considering society as a whole agrees with me so much so that the law of this country forbids polygamy and that gay marriage is still pie in the sky stuff....I doubt very much my views are as skewed as you make out... ;)
Last time I looked, the marriage of a man and a woman was the only type of marriage that the Marriage Act sees as legal.....correct?
So who between us has the skewed view then? You and Suxpack? or myself and the majority which the law protects? ;)

Six Pack said:
The law is protecting you from polygamy? Do tell!

The law protects the sacredness of marriage.
I shouldn't have to tell you that....it is quite simple to comprehend.
That is why inferior unions are classed as illegal and why my so-called 'skewed views' are what society classes as the benchmark of a married union.
So my views can't be that skewed, can they? ;)

Gay marraige pie in the sky? It's knocking on your front door and you don't want to know about it. It's legal in parts of europe, and California and Massachussets. Civil unions are also recognised in a number of other US states.

Please split this thread Disco - it don't belong here.

New York Tiger said:
Gay marraige pie in the sky? It's knocking on your front door and you don't want to know about it. It's legal in parts of europe, and California and Massachussets. Civil unions are also recognised in a number of other US states.
Please split this thread Disco - it don't belong here.

Why split it?

The Islamic religion is wanting polygamy legalised in this country.
Marriage is an important part of any religion.
And there is a line between the law, religion, and moral attitudes to society.
It is all interlinked.

As for gay marriage...of course it is pie in the sky stuff because even if it legalised due to the gay lobby pushing hard at weak left-wing governments, the union between a man and a woman will always be the majority and will always be superior in many respects.
Many religions see it this way....and many laws see it this way.

Seeing that this is the Christianity thread....I wonder what some of the devout religious people on here think of the polygamy slant from the Islamic community?
From the talk so far on here....I have put forward what i think and people (of course) lambast it...but I haven't seen too people answer the question themselves and out their views forward on polygamy being legalised....? :-\

New York Tiger said:
I'm an atheist, and i'm married. Marraige has nothing to do with religion. Marraige is about a deep commitment.
It don't belong here.

I agree it is a deep commitment which makes the polygamy being legalised a joke.
You may be an atheist NewYork....but marriage is still an integral part for all religions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_views_of_marriage

This foundational principle was first articulated biblically in the Book of Genesis (2:24). Later, Jesus set forth his basic position on marriage by bringing together two important passages from Genesis (1:27; 2:7–25). He pointed to the completion of the creation — "male and female he created them." Then he described marriage as a relationship, a union, so intimate and real that "the two become one flesh." As persons, husband and wife are of equal value. In truth, they are one. Finally, Jesus added his emphasis on marriage being God-made and lifelong:

Have you not read, he replied, that at the beginning the Creator "made them male and female," and said, "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh"? So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate (Matthew 19:4–6, Mark 10:6–9

Seems that bloke who walked on water had skewed views as well, Disco.... :hihi

New York Tiger said:
People have multiple children. Do they love one more than the others?
Not sure, but polygamy may be the same principal.

I can see where you are coming from mate but I think you are drawing a long bow, thats all.

At least with your own children they are all your flesh and blood.....you helped make them.

Polygamy to me is just an excuse for the man to have sex with different women and have it classed as 'morally right'.
Keyser Trad's missus summed it all up beautifully:

Asked if it was just about wanting sex with more women, she said: "Yeah it can be, but having it in the right way instead of having it in like go to prostitute or just date''

Liverpool said:
Polygamy to me is just an excuse for the man to have sex with different women and have it classed as 'morally right'.

Actually polygamy does have a proper purpose, and if you examine why it is introduced/tolerated you will better understand why some accept it.

Firstly, for Islam much of their laws were established by Mohammed after a period of intense war, and the male population was extremely low as a result. Polygamy was introduced in order to boost birth rate productivity (but because God said its so....).

Secondly, is procreation. Remember the rates of infant mortality were quite high until modern medicine came along, so throwing your seed at as many dart boards as possible IF you are good breeding stock was allowed and encouraged. Who was worthy was dictated by wealth, because they were either rich enough to afford multiple women, and the dowrys you would need to pay for your inevitable girls.

Thirdly, you have Gods Law. Mormons believe in polygamy because apparently its one of the things they need to do to go to heaven (unaware of exact details). Even though the Church changed this to comply with US law, the belief still exists, because many like yourself put God's Law above that of politicians they don't respect (as you have no respect for any law "Kevin07" drafts).

Finally you have economic. Men in many cultures (western and eastern) were holders of wealth, while women usually lose theirs when they marry. Marrying a man with money is therefore a priority, and for many women in days gone by, marrying a wealthy married man was better than marrying a single poor one.

Personally I think these issues are no longer relevant, but you could say that too about much of teh stuff in the Bible which people still cherish today. Traditions are hard to buck.

Liverpool said:
Why split it?

As originally alluded to the article you posted could have gone on various other threads too. It's not necessarily about Christianity though, so making it a devoted thread means it can be discussed in regard to the Race, Religion or Politics aspect rather than just Christianity.

It seemed like a reasonable request to me.