Possibly 30,000 at the GF?! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Possibly 30,000 at the GF?!

Jetboy

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2010
Melbourne.....sometimes Broome
It’s been put out there that we could have this.... also, smaller crowds (gradually growing) at games in the second half of the season.

No doubt the Corporates would get a gig, but it would be interesting to see how the ticketing arrangements would work if it was to happen....thoughts !

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It’s been put out there that we could have this.... also, smaller crowds (gradually growing) at games in the second half of the season.

No doubt the Corporates would get a gig, but it would be interesting to see how the ticketing arrangements would work if it was to happen....thoughts !

Ive contemplated this.

If it was 30,000 at the GF, and they didnt give competing clubs 14,000 each,

and the Tigers were in it and I got locked out,

I'd advertise a Tiger GF party on Facebook and PRE, with limitless free everything, at Gil's joint.

I think its why they are suggesting a best of 3 series? 90,000?

of all the dumb ideas, best of 3 is the one I hate the least.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Oh no, the Cats will be wanting it played at the Cattery.

• Angry

Jetboy

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2010
Yep, see your point about best of three, hence 90k......but, unfortunately it’d be the same Corporates at each game..and what if you had tickets to the 3rd game (thinking that it’d be the TRUE decider) and the Tiges polished off whoever in straight sets (which is more than likely)?

LIke your idea about a party at Gils, he lives around the corner from me...I wouldn’t have to worry about parking, or getting a cab lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Call me a conspiracy theorist.... (which I'm prone to be when it comes to the AFL)...
What's the chances that these scenarios are put out there to muddy the waters for members sitting on the fence in regards to keeping their memberships rolling?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I have been saying for a few weeks now that the AFL's insistence on a late October GF would suggest to me they have been talking to the state govt behind the scenes and are hopeful of crowds returning in some form in the latter stages of the season.

I think the corporates will miss out. I think listed AFL players will miss out. I think tickets to family members of competing teams will be restricted. If the GF is limited to 30,000, I reckon it'll be split 4 ways between members of the 2 competing clubs, AFL members and MCC members. so maybe about 7,000 tix each for members?

either way, as a priority one, platinum member, i'd be very disappointed if I missed out.

BTW, is anyone able to copy and paste this paywalled article from Jon Ralph so we can read it?

Jetboy

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2010
we've been speculating this number for the last 3 years. at a guess, i would say somewhere between 8,000-10,000.
Yep, reckon you are right Ian4.....and I’m with you, I’d be pretty pissed off if I didn’t get a ticket...maybe all the guaranteed members from both competing clubs (if there is an imbalance , top up the lower clubs numbers with the next tier membership from their base to make the numbers equal), then, split what’s left over between AFL and MCC members..... unfortunately, the AFL will see the corporates as part of their plan to stay away from financial ruin, hence I’m sure some will filter in

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
No chance the AFL will freeze out the corporates.
It will be a few thousand competing members at either end to give it "atmosphere" and the rest the corporates, MCC, and AFL members.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Call me a conspiracy theorist.... (which I'm prone to be when it comes to the AFL)...
What's the chances that these scenarios are put out there to muddy the waters for members sitting on the fence in regards to keeping their memberships rolling?
you could be onto something there.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
No chance the AFL will freeze out the corporates.
It will be a few thousand competing members at either end to give it "atmosphere" and the rest the corporates, MCC, and AFL members.

I guess there will be some obligations to sponsors and the like, but they will surely have to dump the corporate packages. if we are only allocated 5,000 tickets, they may just hand them to members that are priority 1 and are at minimum gold level? or something along those lines.

TV Josh

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2005
Melbourne, VIC
Regarding corporates over members at the GF, it will be interesting* to see how the AFL tries to override a contractual clause to a contract it isn't a party to, being the clause in the competing clubs' memberships that provide a "guarantee". Specifically, in the case of my Richmond membership:

"Guaranteed access to purchase a Grand Final ticket as well as Priority Access to purchase week 1-3 Finals tickets (both subject to Richmond participation)"

*infuriating. At worst, the tactic will be no tickets released to competing clubs at all. But 30,000 tickets released to "family and friends of players", 29,000 of which will be corporate sponsor friends who will be mandated to wear the colours of the competing teams so it looks like you have a passionate crowd.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I note the comments about corporates and I fear the AFL will move in the opposite direction but my view is that this is a great opportunity for them to make a statement that the AFL is about the fans ie to maximise Ticket allocation to competing club members.
I have a “guaranteed” GF ticket as a Maurice Rioli club member but that may not mean much this year

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
The GF guarantee is interesting. I can't see how they could let anyone in without meeting the obligation to these groups first. i.e. Fine if no one can attend, but as soon as you let people in - surely this group must be first in line. Full disclosure: I have a GF guarantee, so this is absolutely a self interested post. :mhihi

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Yep, see your point about best of three, hence 90k......but, unfortunately it’d be the same Corporates at each game..and what if you had tickets to the 3rd game (thinking that it’d be the TRUE decider) and the Tiges polished off whoever in straight sets (which is more than likely)?

LIke your idea about a party at Gils, he lives around the corner from me...I wouldn’t have to worry about parking, or getting a cab lol

How to you achieve social distancing in a corporate box? And the answer is not, "Invite Donald Trump"!

• Haha

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
The GF guarantee is interesting. I can't see how they could let anyone in without meeting the obligation to these groups first. i.e. Fine if no one can attend, but as soon as you let people in - surely this group must be first in line. Full disclosure: I have a GF guarantee, so this is absolutely a self interested post. :mhihi

what if there aren't enough tix to cover members who have the GF guarantee? They may have to cap it for people who have achieved a certain amount of years of consecutive membership. I suggested the other day it might have to be capped at gold level.