What's Dusty worth? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What's Dusty worth?

Using the scale of recent trades, what's Dusty worth?

• TWO first round picks

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • TWO top-end first round picks (say, both are top 10 selections)

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • The first ever THREE first round pick trade

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • TWO first round picks plus ONE second round pick

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • TWO first round picks plus TWO second round picks

• Straight swap for a gun (e.g. Bontempelli, Fyfe, Cripps or Kelly)

• Can't bear the thought of it... off to read the next thread!

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Cheese sandwich

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Absolutely, utterly priceless

Votes: 25 40.3%

• Total voters

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
With the break in the season, many of us have been revisiting the old matches and deepening our appreciation for Dusty’s genius (if that’s possible).

A lot of trades in recent years have overvalued the player, in my opinion. But given that's the context we have to work with, what's Dusty worth in comparison?

A factor to consider is his age (28). But against that is undeniable match winning ability and preparation standards that I suspect would make most AFL players blush.

Some recent trades…

• Adam Treloar + GWS Pick #28 (2015) for Collingwood Picks #7 and #65 (2015) and Pick #8 (2016) o_O
• Joe Daniher offer by Sydney Pick #5 and Pick #25 (2019); Essendon refused o_O and requested Pick #5 and Pick #9 (2019) o_Oo_Oo_O — that is if Sydney could have secured Pick #9 from Carlton in the unrealised Tom Papley trade
• Taylor Adams straight swap for premiership player Heath Shaw
• Dayne Beams + Brisbane Picks #41 and #44 (2018) for Collingwood Picks #18 and #56 (2018) plus Pick #18 (2019) o_O
• Lachie Neale + Fremantle Pick #30 (2018) for Brisbane Picks #6, #19 and #55 (2018)
• Devon Smith + GWS Picks #24 (2017) and Pick #38 (2018) for Essendon Picks #11 and third rounder (2018)
• Dylan Shiel + GWS Pick #42 (2019) for Essendon Pick #9 (2018) and Pick #14 (2019) o_O
• Dion Prestia + Pick #24 (2016) for Richmond Pick #6 (2016) and Pick #38 (2017)
• Tim Kelly + Pick #52 via pick swap with Essendon (2019) and third rounder (2020) for West Coast Picks 14, 24, 37 (2019) and first rounder (2020)

For my money, Kelly is the only one on this list who is Dusty's sphere of greatness so the conversation must start at two top-end first rounders.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
When you look back at 2004 when we had 4 x 1st rounders and how they turned out, I'd say Dusty's worth is incalculable

Reactions: 1 users

cagedtiger

Be Feared
Nov 19, 2004
Sydney
Proven big game match winner. At his peak. Premierships come with him. First ever 1st round 3 picks.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If the AFL was the Premier League.
He would be the highest paid player, by a country mile.
His transfer would command a fee over £100 million.
Going back to the AFL,
He would be a direct swap for Fyfe or Bomtellelly.
Or
He would be worth at least 2 top 10 picks.
Or
90% of Carlton's list.

Collingwood have done some beauties, 2 first rounders for Treloar.
An upgraded version of Matty White.
Giving away 2 first rounders for Beams is sackable.
2nd rounder for Murray, unbelievable

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
When you look back at 2004 when we had 4 x 1st rounders and how they turned out, I'd say Dusty's worth is incalculable

Thats almost 20 years ago.
The top 20 these days, alongside decent development the kids are usually good.
Martin is a one in a generation footballer.
His value could be 4 first rounders today.
Saying that, they can all keep there picks.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Martin has 7 or 8 years left in him. He will eventually do what Matthews did and play forward 100% of the time

Would not trade him for anything.

Reactions: 4 users

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
Collingwood have done some beauties, 2 first rounders for Treloar.
An upgraded version of Matty White.
Giving away 2 first rounders for Beams is sackable.
2nd rounder for Murray, unbelievable
. Zips I would also argue that Shaw's contribution to GWS is greater than Adams"

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Dusty would be the highest valued player in the AFL, his value would be higher than Judd who commanded the equivalent of pick 3 and 19 and Kennedy from memory .

Kennedy was a pick 6 selection which makes the deal picks 3 ,6 and 19

Dusty's ability to dominate in finals puts him above Judd and by the time he retires will probably surpass Lethal as the greatest player in modern times.

Picks 1 and 2 would be a minimum starting point with a pick in the mid teens as a sweetener..

Having said that I want Dusty to be a Richmond player for life.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
. Zips I would also argue that Shaw's contribution to GWS is greater than Adams"

Adams is on the same line as Shaw.
Massive butcher with the ball.
Highlighted in the 2018 Grand final, when he bubbled a short pass that was intercepted by Yeo.
And he stood there as the runner copped the blame.
Ive watched it many times, it was a typical Adams crap kick.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Dusty would be the highest valued player in the AFL, his value would be higher than Judd who commanded the equivalent of pick 3 and 19 and Kennedy from memory .

Kennedy was a pick 6 selection which makes the deal picks 3 ,6 and 19

Dusty's ability to dominate in finals puts him above Judd and by the time he retires will probably surpass Lethal as the greatest player in modern times.

Picks 1 and 2 would be a minimum starting point with a pick in the mid teens as a sweetener..

Having said that I want Dusty to be a Richmond player for life.

Bingo.
I wouldn't trade him at 35 for 3 first rounders

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
IF he came to us and said I want out, and we were able to trade.....A FREAKING LOT!!

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Brad Ottens was worth 2 first round picks. Which sounds really good. Until you draft Adam Pattison and Danny Meyer.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I don't think you can really compare trades because there are so many factors at play.

If we traded him tomorrow it would probably be for two first rounders because that's about all anyone could realistically give up for one player.

Fair point. There are limits on how many picks you can trade away so more than two first rounders is probably not even allowed.

For mine, a more reasonable prospect would be a trade of players that is based on each clubs' situation.

For example, if the Tigers were in rebuild mode (shudder) take a chance on a young but emerging star of the game, and trade with a club in the premiership window.

Jeez, I do feel dirty even contemplating a Dusty trade.

I guess what I'm actually trying to establish is what Dusty is worth given some players who are clearly a rung or two behind him have been traded for two first rounders.

Surely it makes Dusty's trade value incalculable...

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Yeah like BR says, too many what ifs. BUT, IF, for arguments sake, Dusty fell madly in love with someone from Perth and wanted a trade there, ah la Judd, 2 top 10 picks and a genuine young gun player. (You could get more if we weren't over a barrel by having to trade).

Apart from a scenario like that, right now, he is priceless, untoucheable.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Some of Dodoro's best work right there!

BTW Can't we have that old Mastercard ad as an option @Number8 ? ..... Priceless!

Done, @aoc1974 !

Looking back at the Dev Smith trade, I think the Bombers came out of that OK but the Shiel trade was very, very poor.

To then back that up with the Daniher/Fantasia shemozzles just beggars belief!

Have the sense that club will be mediocre for a very long time.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
What's Dusty worth?

He's worth putting on the football ground in a Richmond jumper each and every week.

It's like when I get asked what my house is worth: it is worth living in.

Not for sale, trade or anything else, Dusty is for playing for Richmond.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 2 users