Practice match results - somethings dont change | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Practice match results - somethings dont change

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Swans down off-line Tigers

The Sydney Swans ended their pre-season on a positive note with a 15.13 (103) to 8.14 (62) victory over Richmond at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Adam Goodes, Jason Saddington, Nick Davis and Stuart Maxfield impressed while Barry Hall kicked eight majors for the Swans.

Richmond will rue its missed chances kicking seven behinds in the opening quarter and five in the third, with Matthew Richardson the main culprit booting 1.6.

Ray Hall got the visitors off to a great start booting a major within the first minute, but the opposing Hall replied with one of his own ten minutes later.

Richardson should have hit straight back from a free kick adjacent to the posts but missed, and failed again 30 metres out directly in front four minutes later.

Former Swans ruckman Greg Staffords goal was matched by Halls second late in the term before Sydney new recruit Nick Davis kicked a goal to edge the Swans in front 3.7 to 1.1.

Davis edged the home side closer with his second early in the second quarter from a Goodes short kick, before Ryan O'Keefe kicked them in front.

Both teams traded goals before Hall's third for the red-and-whites saw his team go into the main break leading by one point.

The third quarter was a behind-a-thon as both teams nailed four apiece until the 22nd minute when Jared Crouch and Goodes combined for a Paul Williams major.

Richardson then kicked his sixth of the game - and Richmond's fifth of the term - before Hall kicked his fourth for Sydney.

Leon Cameron's goal on the siren narrowed the gap to six points with Sydney leading 8.7 to 6.13 going into the final term.

The final quarter was all Sydney with Davis kicking his third, Hall his fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth from an acute angle before being rested, as Scott Stevens and Ben Mathews booted their first.

Sydney: 2.1 6.3 8.7 15.13 (103)
Richmond 3.7 5.8 6.13 8.14 (62)

Goals: Sydney: Hall 8, Davis 3, O'Keefe, Williams, Stevens, Mathews. Richmond: Hall 2, Stafford 2, Coughlan, Richardson, Cameron, Blumfield.
Best: Sydney: Davis, Saddington, Goodes, Hall, Kennelly, Maxfield, Williams.
Richmond: Hall, Cameron, Rodan, Stafford, Schulz
Injuries: Sydney: TBC. Richmond: TBC
Reports: Nil.
Crowd: 2,057 at the SCG

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Re: Practice match results - somethings dont chang

Good to see Rodan and Schulz among the best.

damnfine

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dec 18, 2002

Plus Hall as well given the Ottens situation.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com

A report on the Coburg Forum states that Dragga played well for Coburg today although was crunched late in the game and suffered a bit of a shoulder injury, but was able to return later on.

Ruthless_Richmond

hunger to win
Feb 28, 2003
The Gong
Re: Practice match results - Match Report

Attended the match today intending to take notes to provide a decent report, however in taking three kids I ended up distributing food, going to the loo and preventing their flags impaling various nearby members of the crowd. ::)

So here are my thought on what I saw in between the above diversions.

Coughlan played a very good game with Blumfield, Cameron, Rodan, Johnson all showing enough to encourage me that our options in getting and delivering the ball forward have been strengthened over last year. Also noticed that Wayne Brittain addressed the mid field group in the huddle.
Rory Hilton was useful and his tough approch will be welcomed back this year.
Tivva kicked a right footer under pressure and hit the target! He also put the body in a couple of times. Later he copped a forearm to the head which decked him and resulted in a report to a Swans player.
Jay Schulz worked hard and was given plenty of game time - the guy has potential, but looked lost a couple of times.
Gas and Andy Kellaway did OK. A decent belt in the head forced Gas from the field and he sat out the last quarter. It was only after this that Sydney cruised home. Vardy had no answer to Barry Hall's strength and fast leads. We really need Holland!
Razor was useful and toiled away with Staff in the absence of Ottens both around the ground and down forward. I also thought Campbell worked hard.
Richo led well and took some grabs, but as reported in the media couldn't find the goals. In the last quarter he spent some time up the ground - I like to see him go for a run occasionally.

Apart from the poor conversion rate the other concerns were typical of Richmonds weaknesses - ordinary delivery into the forward line and lack of pressure to keep the ball in the forward line when it hits the deck. If we had been able to make more of our opportunities up forward I felt we could have been well in front at half time.

All in all we still need to improve a lot. The thing I like most is that the newer players attack the ball and the man with a bit of intensity.

A

admin

Thanks Ruthless, Good stuff. Love your description of footy with young kids.  :D
What position did Schulz play, and did he get much ground time?
Who played on Barry Hall, and what was the problem with stopping him.  
I think Gas has a problem with strong fast leading forwards, but hopefully Dutchy will be back for reinforcement before we meet up with that problem.
Was Leon played forward like he was against Carlton?
Did Rodan play most of the game in the midfield, he did against Carlton.
Thanks, hope you don't mind the interrogation.
Anyway glad this practice and pretend stuff is over.
It gets fair dinkum now.
Bring on the Pies, Hopefully the March/April premiers have peaked early and have nothing left in their tanks, ha. ;D
Go Tiges.

Rodan#18

Fijian thunderbolt
Jan 19, 2003

nothing left in the tank ? didn't last years wiz cup loser win round 1 ? In convincing style. On that subject...don't we look unstoppable when the midfield are hitting richo and co on the leads ?

I'm sure Spud and and co. will have the boys up for round 1. BTW : selection prophecy. Based on gut feeling. SCHULZ WILL PLAY AGAINST COLLINGWOOD.

Ruthless_Richmond

hunger to win
Feb 28, 2003
The Gong

What position did Schulz play, and did he get much ground time?
Who played on Barry Hall, and what was the problem with stopping him.  
I think Gas has a problem with strong fast leading forwards, but hopefully Dutchy will be back for reinforcement before we meet up with that problem.
Was Leon played forward like he was against Carlton?
Did Rodan play most of the game in the midfield, he did against Carlton.

Rosy in answer to your questions;
I think Schulz mostly played half back and yes he got a lot of ground time. Even after a knock (he was set up by a hospital pass) they rushed him back on after a check by the physio. He looks solid enough to get a run in the real stuff.
Barry Hall kicked 4 goals in the last quarter on Vardy. Hall was too fast and too strong. Gas and AK had been cutting across in front of Hall earlier in the game, but when Gas went off late in the 3rd Qtr with claret gushing from the side of his head Hall was freed up.
Leon pushed forward on occasion and his delivery and linking play was a big positive for me, he looks to over the injury which troubled him last year.
Rodan got plenty of game time, rotating through the midfield and also up forward.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002

The most impormtant thing to come out of the game (more to point what thankfully didn't) was there were no injuries or reports. Not too concerned with the last quarter as Gas and our other topliners were rested. The last two practice games I get the impression (although I haven't seen the games) that we are winning enough ball in the middle and around the stoppages which is a good sign. Can't blame them if the forwards deserve to have their legs chopped off :mad:. The more Johnson, Cogs, Campo, Blumfield, Bowden, Rodan etc...play together the better we'll get. Which means we should improve as the season progresses. Good to see Campo and Blumfield get more match practice and fitness. Ruthless, did both play a full game on saturday?

The poor kicking for goal reminded me that our conversion rate last year was from memory (read it somewhere) the worst in the league. Most sides were around 55% while we were about 45%. That in itself can cost you something like 3 goals a game. Plus you allow the other side to remain in the game as we did on the weekend instead of it being all over red rover by qtr time. After kicking 20.5 the previous week were our fowards and runners forced wide when having shots or was the problem above the shoulders? I heard Richo miss two sitters (that's our Richo ::)). His first few shots on goal seem to indicate how he'll go for the rest of the game. He also appears to do better when he doesn't have time to think too much about it. Need to get him some blinkers..ha. Get the yips out of the way before the real stuff Richo ;).

Quietly confident about round 1 . Go Tigers :).

Ruthless_Richmond

hunger to win
Feb 28, 2003
The Gong

MT,
Gas was rested in the last quarter because he suffered a decent gash on his cheek (from a head clash I think).
Yes Campbell & Blumfield played full matches.
Re the midfield winning the ball - I think the improvement is in the area of being able to break free of the traffic after gaining possesion. I really think the likes of Johnson, Coughlan and Rodan can muscle their way through the packs making life easier for the receivers and giving them more space to hopefully deliver better into the forward line.