PRE 2018 Phantom Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PRE 2018 Phantom Draft

North choose Angus Hanrahan:

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “A hard-running, classy outside player whose foot skills and overall clean disposal will have attracted strong interest from numerous clubs."

OVERVIEW

Angus Hanrahan, the younger sibling of the Hawthorn-listed Oliver, is a smart, classy outside player who sets up play off half-back and can hit the scoreboard across half-forward. Strong TAC Cup form early in the season warranted Vic Metro selection for the Under 18 National Championships — where he did his draft chances no harm — averaging 16 disposals. Whether it’s across half-back, half-forward or even through the midfield, Hanrahan oozes class and composure, rarely wasting his disposal. This was displayed early in the Dragons’ TAC Cup campaign. In a round two clash against the Oakleigh Chargers, Hanrahan dominated outside play, with 29 disposals at 86 per . cent efficiency together with seven handball receives — confirming his status as a designated playmaker — and nine marks, leading the Dragons to a strong 23-point victory. Then, a fortnight later, the St Kevin’s College student proved a handful for the Murray Bushrangers defence, booting 3.2 from 18 disposals, showcasing his ability to hit the scoreboard. Later selected to play for Vic Metro throughout the under-18 National Championships, Hanrahan impressed with his foot skills, particularly against Vic Country, earning the praise of St Kilda legend Leigh Montagna for his “beautiful delivery” inside the forward 50. It was a season that led to a National Combine invite, where Hanrahan again impressed with a top ten finish in the goalkicking test.

Tigers of Old said:
Cats

Hugo Munn

Zane Barzen

Mind you didn't we just swap our picks with the Pies?

I just saw that in the paper, good deal for Geelong.

Doing a phantom draft really gives us an idea of the talent available at even picks #60-#70

Im just looking at players that i like and whilst some have already been taken which i noted for later picks there are still another 4-5 players that i thought may have already been taken.

Im really starting to hope that Richmond can get a deal done with GC for trading our #17 for the 2 picks GC have in #24 & #29

North bid on Toby Bedford:

Toby Bedford is one of this year's notable line breakers, and he played a key part in Dandenong's 42-point win against Sandringham. A Melbourne Next Generation Academy prospect, Bedford managed 13 disposals, six tackles, three goals and two score assists, and crucially hit the scoreboard in the second and third quarters when the game was there to be won.

Bedford's point of difference is his pace and agility with ball in hand; he can often be found running 30m at a time before disposing of the ball. He is in the conversation as one of this year's fastest and hardest to catch with ball in hand. His tackling is a strength also, racking up at least six tackles in each of his past four matches.

With clubs showing in last year's draft they'll pay a premium to acquire players with speed, Melbourne will need to nominate Bedford in the national draft with a bid likely to come in the second half. Bedford's game bares some likeness to Lewis Jetta with comparable speed, agility, slipperiness and desire to take on the game with his pace.

tigertim said:
North bid on Toby Bedford:

Toby Bedford is one of this year's notable line breakers, and he played a key part in Dandenong's 42-point win against Sandringham. A Melbourne Next Generation Academy prospect, Bedford managed 13 disposals, six tackles, three goals and two score assists, and crucially hit the scoreboard in the second and third quarters when the game was there to be won.

Bedford's point of difference is his pace and agility with ball in hand; he can often be found running 30m at a time before disposing of the ball. He is in the conversation as one of this year's fastest and hardest to catch with ball in hand. His tackling is a strength also, racking up at least six tackles in each of his past four matches.

With clubs showing in last year's draft they'll pay a premium to acquire players with speed, Melbourne will need to nominate Bedford in the national draft with a bid likely to come in the second half. Bedford's game bares some likeness to Lewis Jetta with comparable speed, agility, slipperiness and desire to take on the game with his pace.

Match

North bid on Irving Mosquito from Gippsland Power:

Exciting ground level forward Irving Mosquito is dangerous every time he is near the ball and has built a reputation for applying heavy forward pressure. Mosquito looms as a possible Paul Puopolo successor and may feature late draft. 175cm.

(Don’t think Hawthorn can match it?)

tigertim said:
North bid on Irving Mosquito from Gippsland Power:

Exciting ground level forward Irving Mosquito is dangerous every time he is near the ball and has built a reputation for applying heavy forward pressure. Mosquito looms as a possible Paul Puopolo successor and may feature late draft. 175cm.

(Don’t think Hawthorn can match it?)

Hawks can match because they get a 197 point discount, pick 56 is worth 194 points.

Sammy is away so I'll match for Hawthorn.

Hawks will 100% match this bid as they dont need points to match with the discount making it free by just using their next selection

Sheesh...

Ok, North play it safe and select Joel Crocker:
At 191cm, Crocker is a versatile player – an option in both the midfield and the forward line. Son of Kangaroos premiership player Darren Crocker, Joel unfortunately suffered a season-ending foot injury this year.

tigertim said:
Sheesh...

Ok, North play it safe and select Joel Crocker:
At 191cm, Crocker is a versatile player – an option in both the midfield and the forward line. Son of Kangaroos premiership player Darren Crocker, Joel unfortunately suffered a season-ending foot injury this year.

So you got used to making bids that you thought may as well make a bid on your own player as well :rofl

turk-d-tiger said:
So you got used to making bids that you thought may as well make a bid on your own player as well :rofl
We coulda been here all day otherwise. ;D

tigertim said:
We coulda been here all day otherwise. ;D

Will Hickmott , Ben Silvagni ;D

Basically any bids made after #50 wouldnt need points to match after the discount i believe so the team would just match it if they want the player

Sammy not back until tomorrow morning so we will keep Port's pick open.

Moving onto the Bulldogs & I've been waiting patiently for this pick because there's a fair bit of history as to why I picked the Dogs this year. For those unaware, Scoop, Leysy & myself had lengthy discussions about the Doggies drafting last year & the reasons I would have tackled it a bit differently (for better or worse). Those who followed the thread would know that I wouldn't have picked Naughton & Richards, instead opting for Darcy Fogarty & Noah Balta. Schache would also have been bypassed given the Dogs stitched up their KF at pick 9, leaving me with a KD in Sam Taylor & James Worpel as their third rounder. So basically I need to find a running defender in this draft to fill the sizable hole that Richard's absence has created. Not suggesting that this player will have the same impact as Richards but I'd hope that he gets a few games next year.

Pick 59. Tom McKenzie

Pretty sure that Tom goes a bit higher in the real deal but you could even make a solid argument to select him with a second rounder. What appeals most is his elite kicking skills & his raw pace. Having won the sprint at the combine in addition to some excellent games at state level I think he has the tools to make the grade at AFL level. Whilst he didn't achieve the metres gained I was expecting I think with some good coaching he could eventually develop into an ultra attacking back flanker. TAC form was also good & there's even some scope to play midfield as time progresses.

North select Noah Answerth, 183cm mid From Oakleigh Chargers.

bullus_hit said:
Sammy not back until tomorrow morning so we will keep Port's pick open.

Moving onto the Bulldogs & I've been waiting patiently for this pick because there's a fair bit of history as to why I picked the Dogs this year. For those unaware, Scoop, Leysy & myself had lengthy discussions about the Doggies drafting last year & the reasons I would have tackled it a bit differently (for better or worse). Those who followed the thread would know that I wouldn't have picked Naughton & Richards, instead opting for Darcy Fogarty & Noah Balta. Schache would also have been bypassed given the Dogs stitched up their KF at pick 9, leaving me with a KD in Sam Taylor & James Worpel as their third rounder. So basically I need to find a running defender in this draft to fill the sizable hole that Richard's absence has created. Not suggesting that this player will have the same impact as Richards but I'd hope that he gets a few games next year.

Two things Bully if I may;

1) The Dogs had Schache before the draft, so you can't bypass him and take the extra picks. You had the picks going into the draft.
2) You pushed so hard for the Tigers to take Schache on here for so long and now you decide The Dogs should bypass him. Bit each way?

SCOOP said:
Two things Bully if I may;

1) The Dogs had Schache before the draft, so you can't bypass him and take the extra picks. You had the picks going into the draft.
2) You pushed so hard for the Tigers to take Schache on here for so long and now you decide The Dogs should bypass him. Bit each way?

Completely different set of circumstances.

Point 1.

I had Balta ranked over Schache, he was featured at 11 in my top 50. The question was even asked by Mr Brightside who I would prefer well before trade time, I gave an unequivocal nod to Balta. The same would have gone for Richmond's pick but I had zero clue Clarke was going to use pick 25 on Balta which would have been our Schache currency. Don't know how to make it any clearer, Balta was in my sights well before any of the Schache discussions even came up. I've duly acknowledged I would have taken Schache ahead of CCJ, that's also documented in the thread. So whilst not being anti-Schache like most, I never gave the club a blank cheque. Think my views have been misrepresented a fair bit. And for the record I don't think he was a bad selection, more to the point others offered a fair bit more.

Point 2.

Darcy Fogarty was ranked at 6, so it's pretty clear I would have taken him over Schache too. So basically that's one KF & KF/KD with the first two picks. Clearly a hole in the list has been addressed. Now if you are giving me complete control over the decision making process I'm not taking a third KF, that's clearly overkill. The Dogs wanted and needed a defender & picked Naughton, I would have countered by picking Taylor in the second round. The Worpel pick obviously an unexpected bonus but given I had him ranked at 19 you can be sure as hell I would have picked him up for the Dogs.

I mean all this is hypothetical nonsense but it makes this game a bit more interesting. And as far as the Naughton / Richards debate goes, you may still be correct. Out of interest who would you have picked with the Schache selections?