Premiership Medals - Who should get them? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Premiership Medals - Who should get them?

Who should get Premiership Medals

• Only the selected Premiership 22

• Anyone who played in Finals

• Anyone that played a senior game that season

• Entire squad

• Whatever Dimma wants

• Cheese Sandwich

Results are only viewable after voting.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Thought I'd throw up a poll as there's a bit of chatter around.

Bringing our entire squad onto the ground in their jumpers to celebrate on Sunday was a great look. No doubt one that will be copied by everyone. It hammers home that the club wins the Premiership, not 22 players.

I think the squad should get medals. Even if only the 22 are awarded them on the ground as part of the celebration, there should be 44 or 45 minted. At a minimum at least every player that played a part in the finals campaign.

Then again, I'm happy to blindly agree with whatever Lord Dimma or Richmond says should happen.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
All members too.
There's an idea. Next year, instead of a cap or scarf, they should send out a replica medallion.

Imagine the salt from oppo supporters if 100,000 members show up to round one with a premiership medallion around their necks.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I reckon the cup itself is a recognition of the club. The squad, the coach, the administrators and the members.

Like it or not, through hard work, skill, heart or luck, the 22 are the ones who have to get it done on the day. They should get some sort of special recognition. The medal works for that.

Aussie rules is weird, in that finishing top of the ladder is not the be all and end all. It has a unique level of importance on the day of the Grand Final. The 22 have all that pressure on their shoulders. They're the ones who have to stand up. The premiership is won by the club, but the grand final is won by them.

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i don't think it should be restricted to the 22 that play in the GF, but I also don't think it should be given to a listed player who has made absolutely no contribution. At a minimum Jack Graham deserves one. You're a harsh man if you don't agree with that. So finals participants is a yes for me.

I think we just need to work out what constitutes "a fair and reasonable contribution" over the course of the season? 5 games? 10 games? I'm thinking somewhere around 25% of games and above, plus everyone who played on GF day.

Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
It would be great if there was something for all listed players. I'd support a separate premiership "team" medal for everyone on the list who didn't play on the day, which would still leave a small increase in prestige associated with medals for those who played on the day.

Reactions: 2 users

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
I personally think the 22 only get the medal.

Although believe maybe something is given to all players for being part of team in a premiership year.

I know the yanks give rings.
Maybe a replica small cup that is unique to them in design or even a medal or both.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Do the minor premiers get medals?

I guess I'm kind of torn between 2, just the 22 or anyone that played in the finals series.

if you look at other sporting codes, lets look at soccer. If a club wins the premier league (similar to minor premiership), all players that played a minimum number of games (I think 10, roughly 25%) get a medal. In cup competitions (like the FA Cup, Champions League), just the 11 that go on the field win a medal.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
In the NBA all players on the roster get a championship ring if the team wins the finals series.
They have been doing it for so long that it has become an accepted norm for the competition.
The players of course still know who played in the finals series.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
In this article, Dimma makes some comments supporting the idea that more than grand final participants be awarded premiership medals. He believes a change to the current situation is overdue.

B

Bill James

No one. If all players deserve a medal because the 22 get one, do all the coaches deserve a medal because the senior coach receives one? If the assistants deserve one, do the recruiters deserve one? After all, it's easy to coach good players. If the recruiters, the fitness staff, hell why not just give a medal to every member? I'd prefer to give a medal to Collingwood for losing, Peter Moore enjoyed receiving his as I recall.

That said I was tempted to donate the inaugural the Bill James trophy to be awarded to every player who plays in a premiership on debut. :)

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I think recognition should be made to all those that played seniors that year.

I look at it like this.

This year we were crippled with injuries. Players came into the side who (small part) played the Richmond way and somewhat helped us keep our head above water, especially through to the bye.

People may say , do you give them to all. My answer would be , NO. Only those players that played seniors. Exempt to this would be , im sad to say it would be Rance(injured first round). Compensation would be he is awarded some form of recognition for his part in stabilizing the back line with his teachings, his leadership in helping Grmes become a clone in the image of himself, his selfless act in holding back and not returning to play again(knowing IF he got injured the effect it may have on the group).

Things like that.

I know within the club walls , ALL players would be recognised by the club for their achievements and the part they played in the year as a WHOLE. Jack spoke about the club being a WHOLE CLUB."

How we do that?

The players involved get their premiership medallion.

22 of them.

The rest .Get nothing. I think they should. What should it be? A medal? An award? How do we do it? Out on the ground? Do we need to do that and prolong the presentation of the cup with the captain & coach? Probably not. Behind closed doors? Away from the cameras?

Yes.

So my idea would be a medal too. A different color. Dont know what color with maybe words engraved on the back ' IN RECOGNITION OF THE PART YOU PLAYED ". Simple.

Now obviously i wouldnt want it to be an AFL initiative but a club initiative.

Just a thought. \\I could probably come up with better ideas if i gave myself a few days to think more about it.

Last edited:

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Ideally it should be the matchday 22 but I can see an argument for those that played a part in the finals. An example is Jack Graham. He would have been a cert for the final but for injury as he played a big part in our final series but he gets nothing

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
Similar to waiting. The 22 get one with 22 printed on it. The rest of the entire squad get one with SQUAD written on it.

Presentation of ‘squad’ either by the club at a club function, or ...

... the ‘squad’ stand on field in a line and a line of little leaguers steps up all at once and drapes them all at once, getting it over fairly quickly (or one person walks down the line with a quick succession of drapes, Olympic team medal style), followed by the standard 22 presentation.

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
It would be great if there was something for all listed players. I'd support a separate premiership "team" medal for everyone on the list who didn't play on the day, which would still leave a small increase in prestige associated with medals for those who played on the day.
This would be my preference.
Pretty sure Andrew Gaze has an NBA Championship ring even though he only played a part of the season and was effectively off the list throughout the finals. Doesn't sit quite right with me.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
I don't know. Think cup is for the club, and medals are for the participants.

Don't want a Paul Collingwood situation where he received an MBE for making 17 runs.