Progress toward a republic stalls | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Progress toward a republic stalls

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Gypsy__Jazz said:
lefty said:
It surprises me that so many of the chest beating, flag waving nationalists that inhabit this place want to retain the monarchy. You would think that this proud Aussie element would want us to stand on our two feet and break the ties with the old country.

I was surprised too, Lefty. Clearly they are Johnny backers all the way.

Gypsy,
Like I said on a previous post...the Republic and the flag are two separate issues, and while the republican movement and their supporters continue to link the two, then I doubt very much a republic will happen in the near future.

There are many people out there who have no problem changing from the current system we have to a republic, but are happy and proud of the flag we have at present.
Some of these would be the chest-beaters both yourself and Lefty are talking about.

Just because there are people out there who are satisfied with the current flag, doesn't mean they are Howard-voting, Queen-loving monarchists.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Liverpool said:
Gypsy__Jazz said:
lefty said:
It surprises me that so many of the chest beating, flag waving nationalists that inhabit this place want to retain the monarchy. You would think that this proud Aussie element would want us to stand on our two feet and break the ties with the old country.

Gypsy,
Like I said on a previous post...the Republic and the flag are two separate issues, and while the republican movement and their supporters continue to link the two, then I doubt very much a republic will happen in the near future.

There are many people out there who have no problem changing from the current system we have to a republic, but are happy and proud of the flag we have at present.
Some of these would be the chest-beaters both yourself and Lefty are talking about.

Just because there are people out there who are satisfied with the current flag, doesn't mean they are Howard-voting, Queen-loving monarchists.

Thats a ludicrous post even by your standards liverpool. Are you suggesting we could get rid of a pommy head of state but keep the pommy flag in the most prominent position on our flag, or vice versa? I think its pretty safe to say that the vast majority of republicans would jettison both.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
Thats a ludicrous post even by your standards liverpool. Are you suggesting we could get rid of a pommy head of state but keep the pommy flag in the most prominent position on our flag, or vice versa? I think its pretty safe to say that the vast majority of republicans would jettison both.

I won't go toe-to-toe with you regarding the "pommy head of state", as I have made my point and posted it a few times now..
Republicans believe it is the Queen (see Anduril's post and link)...whereas, monarchists claim it is the Governor-General (see one of my earlier posts with a link).
Either way, you will believe who you support.
The only fact is, that the Constitution here in this country does not name a head of state. Full stop.

Regarding republicanism and the flag...yes, I believe there are people out there who wouldn't be too adverse about going to a republic in the future, yet love the flag the way it is.

Changing to a republic may be of some benefit in the future.
I'm against it at the moment, because currently, the Queen doesn't interfere with the internal decisions made here in Australia by our elected government, and we do have the best country in the world.
In the future, if the monarchy is ruled by someone else other than the Queen, then maybe this situation might change.

However, the flag is the flag...it is what we watch when it is raised after an Olympic gold medal victory.....it is the flag that is worn by the crowd when attending sporting events here and overseas...it is the flag that servicemen wear on their uniforms and fight under.
It is OUR flag.

I don't understand why people want to change something that is a banner that represents us.

People who want to change to a republic, change the flag, burn the Constitution, change our national anthem....I really wonder why they bother to be here, if they feel so embarassed and ashamed of our history and what we have been able to achieve.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
This is ridiculous. Have you ever heard the term 'the crown'? Crown land? the case of Liverpool Versus the Crown? I dunno where you get this GG is the head of state stuff from, and I din't really care, its wrong.

As for the banner representing us. Yes thats the way it should be. Currently the flag represents us, and Britian. If you cannot get you head around that, well, it doesn't surprise me.

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
TS Liverpool is wrong.
Liverpool said:
Republicans believe it is the Queen

The Australian Government states that our Head of State is the Queen as pointed out in a previous post.

As to the Australian flag, I like Jerry Seinfeld's quote " It's Britain by night".

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
Andy
That seinfeld quote is brilliant.

I really struggle picking if its the aussie or the kiwi flag at times.

Liverpool
I for one am very glad that we dumped God Save the Queen. Not that I am a huge fan of Advance Australia Fair

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Michael said:
Andy
That seinfeld quote is brilliant.

Liverpool
I for one am very glad that we dumped God Save the Queen. Not that I am a huge fan of Advance Australia Fair

I too think our anthem sucks.

Australians let us all ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Hey Chilly Willy, are you gonna be wearing those huge moon boots to the footy again this year to protect your toes from the cold ? Haaaaaaaargh haaaaaaaaaargh haaaaaaaargh......

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Anduril said:
TS Liverpool is wrong.
Liverpool said:
Republicans believe it is the Queen

The Australian Government states that our Head of State is the Queen as pointed out in a previous post.

As to the Australian flag, I like Jerry Seinfeld's quote " It's Britain by night".

thats quote is a pisser.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Liverpool said:
Republicans believe it is the Queen (see Anduril's post and link)

So by that logic the Govenor General is a Republican too. (see Anduril's post and link) ;D

As for the flag, I'm not fussed about changing it at all, despite my wish to see an Australian republic at some stage.

Sure it has an English flavour but it is indisputable that England has strong ties to Australia, like it or not, it is an integral part of this country's history.

At the end of the day the flag's just a design on a bit of fabric and like any design it's subjective to personal taste.

There's been a gazillion competitions to redsign the Australian flag and no matter what they come up with, there is guaranteed to be someone/group that doesn't like it. Like the anthem, one can't help but wonder if anyone will grow attached to a new flag anyway.

It's very hard to some up a changing nation with a few lines and squiggles so why bother changing it?

lefty

Another famous lefty!
Sep 20, 2006
I vote for the Warumpi Band's 'My Island Home' as the new national anthem. :clap :clap

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Michael said:

Liverpool

Michael,
It is quite simple:

The Australian flag is the one with the BIG WHITE star and the other smaller WHITE stars:

Flag_Australia.gif

...and the New Zealand flag is the one with the small RED stars on it:

flag2.jpg

And I agree with you. I also have no problem that we dumped 'God Save the Queen' as our anthem.

Tigers of Old said:
There's been a gazillion competitions to redsign the Australian flag and no matter what they come up with, there is guaranteed to be someone/group that doesn't like it. Like the anthem, one can't help but wonder if anyone will grow attached to a new flag anyway.

Exactly.
Australians have grown up with the current flag.
Everyone overseas knows that this is our flag.
So what if we have the British flag in our corner?
Are we that ashamed of our history? is it something we must try and hide or forget about?

Seeing we are on a Tigers forum, I'll use a footy analogy.
Just think of people wanting to get rid of the "we're from Tigerland" theme song...lets change the words to that....and the jumper, get rid of this yellow sash on black, let's do something modern to try and please everyone.....and why not change our name from the Tigers to something else as well?
Just think of the uproar and disgust at these changes to our footy club from our members.
Well, what we are talking about on this thread isn't just a footy club, but our nation, our country, and our history.....one that we are all members of.

lefty

Another famous lefty!
Sep 20, 2006
I don't think you got the blue in the background on the Australian (or is it the Fijian) flag correct. It's more the shade of the one below, the NZ flag (or is the Fijian?)

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
lefty said:
I don't think you got the blue in the background on the Australian (or is it the Fijian) flag correct. It's more the shade of the one below, the NZ flag (or is the Fijian?)

The Fijian flag, by request:

flag_fiji.jpg

lefty

Another famous lefty!
Sep 20, 2006
Liverpool said:
lefty said:

The Fijian flag, by request:

Fiji-Islands_flag.gif

gee i got that one wrong! its a black background with a little white square in the corner, a red cross in the square.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
lefty said:
gee i got that one wrong! its a black background with a little white square in the corner, a red cross in the square.

You've got me on that one Lefty....? ???

baktiger

Tex Walker....
Dec 17, 2002
Coburg, Melbourne
Gypsy__Jazz said:
lefty said:

You know, I don't think I've read on this thread one single person that has actually been a
"Chest beating, flag waving nationalists that inhabit this place want to retain the monarchy".

Not one person has said "no to a republic" yet.

The argument is about the importance of it and the when of it.

It's like at work (you know- where you do stuff and get paid for it). There is always some
bastard that stuffs around with irrelevant things and expends enormous energies on
stuff that is completely just not a priority - just to make it look like they are working -
or in the worst case - they are given rubbish to do so they don't stuff up the people doing
the real work - just to make them feel good.

It's just not a priority.

lefty

Another famous lefty!
Sep 20, 2006
baktiger said:
Gypsy__Jazz said:
lefty said:

You know, I don't think I've read on this thread one single person that has actually been a
"Chest beating, flag waving nationalists that inhabit this place want to retain the monarchy".

It's like at work (you know- where you do stuff and get paid for it). There is always some
bastard that stuffs around with irrelevant things and expends enormous energies on
stuff that is completely just not a priority - just to make it look like they are working -
or in the worst case - they are given rubbish to do so they don't stuff up the people doing

usually the 'bastard' is the boss, in my experience.

baktiger

Tex Walker....
Dec 17, 2002
Coburg, Melbourne
lefty said:
baktiger said:
Gypsy__Jazz said:
lefty said:

usually the 'bastard' is the boss, in my experience.

Too true! But I have much experience with the non-boss types as well!

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Here we go again... ::)

I guess if they keep having referendums, then sooner or later they'll get their way...

Rudd backs republic, but says referendum can wait
Ben Doherty
July 26, 2007

IN A stereotypically Australian setting, sitting under a eucalypt in a Melbourne backyard, Kevin Rudd has put an Australian head of state back on the agenda.
Speaking to families gathered at an Aspendale Gardens home in the city's south-east, the Opposition Leader said a Rudd Labor government would re-open debate on a republic.
"Can I say this, we're going to consult the people again," he said, after being asked his views on an Australian republic.
"We haven't fixed a time frame for doing that, but I think the time will come before too much longer when we do have an Australian as our head of state."
While Mr Rudd described himself as a "lifelong republican — and I won't change", he said a republic was not a "first order concern" for Australian families right now.
"I think what they want us to deal with are the problems we've been talking about here, the kitchen table concerns — housing affordability, child care, health costs, as well as WorkChoices and the effect on penalty rates and overtime," he said.
"It will just take a little while. We've asked the people once, they said 'no'. You've got to respect that.
"But we'll work out when we'll ask them again."
The Opposition Leader said the 1999 republic referendum was flawed in its questioning and had confused people.
He said any subsequent questions put to Australia on the issue should be clear and fair.
The 1999 referendum asked whether Australia should become a republic with a president appointed by a two-thirds majority of federal Parliament, and whether a preamble should be inserted into the Australian constitution.
Neither passed, and only 45.13 per cent of Australians voted for a republic

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/rudd-backs-republic-but-referendum-can-wait/2007/07/25/1185339079921.html