Punt Road Redevelopment | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Punt Road Redevelopment

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Was called the Dave Chessell Stand, I have no idea who that was, likely a cricketer as the ground was originally a cricket ground.

Just looking at the objections to pulling this down again, I note that the objectors claim this is one of the last intact Edwardian grand stands still around. Did they look at their own picture, here's one:

fred.jpg

Now, take a good look at the pic. The roof is different, the detail under the roofline is different, the stand has been expanded, the stand is no longer as open as it was back in the 1920s. Plus, the caption under this pic points to this being a final in 1927, sorry, but not possible, all finals in 1927 were played at the MCG.

The research the Bloodied Wombat lot do is woeful, their claims should be treated with contempt.

I don't disagree with Guy Rundle that our cities are being wrecked by not keeping significant buildings, but you can't keep all the old buildings. I have fond memories of massive crowds, well over 100,000 at the MCG in the 1970s, and the old Southern Stand was an icon. But it still had to go as it had become unfit for purpose.

DS

Cheers DS

14tempany

Tiger Rookie
Apr 12, 2009
I am neither a do gooder or a tree hugger but I am supporting any group who wants to save this building
I am a 61yo who did not get to watch any VFL at this ground ( too young ) but it means a lot to me, the family and to many in the wider community
I wish more people would go and watch the film on at the moment called Lost Melbourne - it is about the wanton destruction of a lot of Melbournes beautiful and not so beautiful old buildings in the 50s to 70s before people finally realised what a terribe thing t hat was
Once something is gone it is gone
I felt differently aged 20 to what I feel now
I appreciate the history of people and places
The stand is not beautiful, it is not a good example of an edwardian stand , it used to be called something else - none of that is relevant
I hope the club is at least forced to look at other options to incorporate it
I also do not believe this idea the club would be forced to move away entirely - simply wont happen and if it did watch some other club ie melbourne or collingwood swoop in and take it over

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I am neither a do gooder or a tree hugger but I am supporting any group who wants to save this building
I am a 61yo who did not get to watch any VFL at this ground ( too young ) but it means a lot to me, the family and to many in the wider community
I wish more people would go and watch the film on at the moment called Lost Melbourne - it is about the wanton destruction of a lot of Melbournes beautiful and not so beautiful old buildings in the 50s to 70s before people finally realised what a terribe thing t hat was
The stand is not beautiful, it is not a good example of an edwardian stand , it used to be called something else - none of that is relevant
I also do not believe this idea the club would be forced to move away entirely - simply wont happen and if it did watch some other club ie melbourne or collingwood swoop in and take it over
There is no wanton destruction in the proposed removal of the JD stand.
The stand is an add on to the ground.
Both are intended and were always intended for the use and enjoyment of the Richmond community and one cannot work without the other.

The facility is not privately owned where some private interest in preservation might conceivably trump the broader public interest.

Simply the ground can’t be used for its purpose without a major rebuild. The rightful sense of loss and grievance that arises with the demolition of the old and beautiful has no place here.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
14, I sympathise, but I really cannot agree that we are preserving heritage when we are keeping what is not a good example of an Edwardian Stand. I, too, am too young to have seen games there but I remember seeing that stand there for years from the train, walking to the MCG and we all know it is part of our club's history. But we don't get to keep all of our history.

I live in a suburb where we are trying to stop the local excuse for a council from destroying the suburb by allowing lots of apartment blocks to go up, I do believe in heritage and, despite how awful it is, maintaining the Sir Kenneth Luke Stand at VFL Park was a great decision because it was a good example, and possibly the only example, of brutalist architecture from the 60s and 70s. But some heritage we don't get to keep, and some is not worth keeping.

The Chessell Stand is falling down, it is not fit for purpose, the ground is still in use as a training venue and as a venue for games in the VFL and AFLW. The ground cannot continue to be a training venue or a venue for VFL and AFLW games while that stand remains. Losing this stand does not destroy the heritage of the ground, a lot of which is already gone such as the old stand where the current training facilities are. The reality is that, not only did the widening of Punt Rd in 1965 mean we could no longer play games there, it fundamentally changed the way the ground could be used and the playing area is simply too close to Punt Rd now, and has been for over 50 years. No-one is offering to stop the stand falling down, lots of gnashing of teeth about the stand but where is their solution? Just leave it standing (or falling), how do they propose RFC continue to use the ground? The stand is in the way because of the wider Punt Rd, this is just reality.

The most telling factor is, for all the debate over this, I'm yet to see anyone offer to either restore the stand or to pay for its removal and relocation. They want to preserve it, they can have it, take it away.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Unfortunately there are some buildings that just don't really require to be saved. This is one. It doesn't serve any purpose to the community whatsoever. I'm all for saving buildings that can be saved but when their quality and condition is too far gone and restricts improvements then they unfortunately need to be replaced.

I'll give Wembley stadium as an example. As a pom I loved Wembley, went there many times and had some great memories of watching England, FA Cup finals, promotion play offs there, there is a place in my heart for it. There were 2 iconic parts of that stadium, the Wembley stadium walk from the tube station, and the 2 twin towers that were visible as you walked up Wembley way, it gave you a great deal of excitement of what was to come before you as you walked towards that great stadium.

So when I heard they planned to demolish it and rebuild I was gutted. It was a very special place for me, even as a young buck of 18 at that time. You do look back in hindsight and see how old the stadium was, the seating, the facilities etc were severely outdated.

The new stadium though is magnificent, they have replaced the old twin towers with a very iconic arch and they even made Wembley way better, by rotating the entrance to the Wembley Park tube station, so you ahve this truly iconic view from an elevated position (you have to walk down a ramp towards Wembley way) with the view going from the station, up Wembley way, towards the stadium.

Unfortunately things like football stadiums, become old, tired and restrictive and need to be replaced. I think the Jack Dyer Stand is one of those. The alternatives to demolishing it are completely gutting it and retrofitting the entire internals of the stand (therefore it is no longer then stand it once was, purely a shell of it) or you demolish it and build something that provides the growth for the club that we require.

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The alternatives to demolishing it are completely gutting it and retrofitting the entire internals of the stand (therefore it is no longer then stand it once was, purely a shell of it) or you demolish it and build something that provides the growth for the club that we require.

This too is a good point, it isn't as if the old stand would resemble what it has looked like for many years if kept, as it needs a complete renovation.

DS

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
What is of greater historical significance, the grandstand or the Richmond Football Club being based at Punt Road?

Because it sounds like one of these things has to go.

Reactions: 5 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
What is of greater historical significance, the grandstand or the Richmond Football Club being based at Punt Road?

Because it sounds like one of these things has to go.
yes well put.

It's all about cost benefit. 1. How much do we need to demolish and rebuild? 2. How sacred and special is the stand? 1. My own view is, as TBR suggests, it has to go so we can stay. 2 the stand is nice, but not an exemplar. I've never heard anyone say they love the stand. People love PRO and the stand is part of that, but still.

I've always thought it was pretty average. Its just not a building you look at, from afar or up close, and go wow. The only bit I've always loved is a the various Black and Yellow patterns and signs on the roof. There's a couple in Ballarat, the City Oval and the Eastern Oval, which are rippers.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
If you’re talking about cost benefit, then there needs to be a far bigger and better social club on the ground floor underneath the rebuilt JD stand. Anything short of this is unacceptable.

They should have a massive bar and bistro exclusively for Richmond members. Would be a money factory all year round.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
A Bar and Bistro would be problematic. Yes, there are a lot of Richmond supporters and members, but apart from game days it is not a great location. So while you have a captive market, you are also a captive of that market in that all those supporters and members are only there on a few occasions. If it was multi-purpose and only open when there is a game, and also able to be hired for weddings, events etc it could work. But it isn't near anything apart from the MCG (not used most days) and Punt Rd (used even less). Plus parking and access are terrible.

I suppose you could fill it with pokies . . . I'll run away now!

Social Club could work but again, you would want to use the space for something else between times when it is open.

All of this means demolishing the old stand though. It is simply in the way with the land the ground has been limited to since the widening of Punt Rd 57 years ago.

I went to look for pics of City Oval and Eastern Oval, where has Boyles Footy Pics site gone? Seems to have disappeared, such a shame.

DS

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
A Bar and Bistro would be problematic. Yes, there are a lot of Richmond supporters and members, but apart from game days it is not a great location. So while you have a captive market, you are also a captive of that market in that all those supporters and members are only there on a few occasions. If it was multi-purpose and only open when there is a game, and also able to be hired for weddings, events etc it could work. But it isn't near anything apart from the MCG (not used most days) and Punt Rd (used even less). Plus parking and access are terrible.

use it for every event at the MCG and give Richmond members a 20% discount. How many events do they have at the MCG annually including cricket and concerts? 60+? Then you have events on at Rod Laver and AAMI park… while its on the wrong side of the train tracks, people still use it for parking for non-MCG events… It’s a 15 minute walk from the Swan bars to AAMI Park. Or a 5 minute walk from PRO over the walk bridge

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
use it for every event at the MCG and give Richmond members a 20% discount. How many events do they have at the MCG annually including cricket and concerts? 60+? Then you have events on at Rod Laver and AAMI park… while its on the wrong side of the train tracks, people still use it for parking for non-MCG events… It’s a 15 minute walk from the Swan bars to AAMI Park. Or a 5 minute walk from PRO over the walk bridge

I agree, I'm all for multi use venues, and being close to Swan Street, the MCG, Rod Laver, Melbourne Arena and AAMI, it provides opportunities to be open a lot more than just RFC match days. Advertise it as a pre-event / gig location.

A quality restaurant would also add benefits IMO. This is a big option for the club to continue to grow and diversify our revenue stream. We've done that with Aligned Leisure and we could potentially move towards a quality entertainment venue within the PRO.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I agree, I'm all for multi use venues, and being close to Swan Street, the MCG, Rod Laver, Melbourne Arena and AAMI, it provides opportunities to be open a lot more than just RFC match days. Advertise it as a pre-event / gig location.

A quality restaurant would also add benefits IMO. This is a big option for the club to continue to grow and diversify our revenue stream. We've done that with Aligned Leisure and we could potentially move towards a quality entertainment venue within the PRO.

1668564202680.png

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

Exactly, just open when an event is on, with decent priced meals and drinks and it would do really well.

They could also use it for club functions and things like a long lunch where training is on for people to watch, then players and coaches come in for a quick chat afterwards. Easy AFL appearance money for the players, great member engagement and nice profits to be made by the club.

Reactions: 3 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Yes, project was originally slated to start mid to late 2022, that ain't going to happen and there is little detail coming out from the club.

I just heard Benny Gale on SEN defending playing the AFLW final at PRO despite the lack of capacity and facilities. He also mentioned we are committed to building our new 76 Million facility, (just in June the costing was 65 Million), have we added a new wing to the building or something or did we just use the same consultants as Government's use for their infrastructure projects thus guaranteeing a cost blowout:rolleyes:.

Last I heard Federal and State Gov's have jointly granted $30 million towards the project. Only 46 million to go, no wonder it is delayed

So Bulldogs 77 Million dollar facility going to be completed by 2024, helps when they get 40 odd million from state and federal governments.
Hawthorn $100 million Dingley facility to be completed by the end of 2024, helps when they sell their pokie's licences for 32 million dollar profit.
Meanwhile Richmond's $76 million dollar facility in limbo due to funding and heritage crusaders :mad: :(
Despite our recent success a bit embarrassing to have close to the worst facilities in the AFL.

Long Lost Hernaman

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 19, 2007
So Bulldogs 77 Million dollar facility going to be completed by 2024, helps when they get 40 odd million from state and federal governments.
Hawthorn $100 million Dingley facility to be completed by the end of 2024, helps when they sell their pokie's licences for 32 million dollar profit.
Meanwhile Richmond's $76 million dollar facility in limbo due to funding and heritage crusaders :mad: :(
Despite our recent success a bit embarrassing to have close to the worst facilities in the AFL.

Forget Dingley. It will be a better equipped Seaford. There's just no way that's a desination young blokes want to go to work at every day, however good the facilities.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We’re falling behind where our facilities are concerned. Sydney, Carlton and Brisbane have all just opened up their new state of the art facilities at costs between $50m to $70m. They all look amazing and make ours look second rate. The Dogs will have theirs up and running in 2024.

Meanwhile we have stalled. We’ve been going around in circles on this for years.

Is there some high powered legal people and/or benefactors or people with inside relationships - anyone - who can help push this through because it’s incredibly frustrating for the overwhelming amount of members who support it.

Gotta get moving.

Last edited: