Punt Road Redevelopment | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Punt Road Redevelopment

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
You can make that statement but back it up with an idea that gives the football dept and the club state-of-the-art facilities whilst keeping the stand

It can't be done practically or economically. The reconfiguration of the oval to conform with the MCG dimensions means that the JD stand has to go. Imo if the stand was called the Bill Bloggs Stand I doubt that we'd hear much of a squawk about it being demolished. (As much as I hate to say it) It really is past it's use by date.

Ralphie

Tiger Rookie
Dec 6, 2015
It can't be done practically or economically. The reconfiguration of the oval to conform with the MCG dimensions means that the JD stand has to go. Imo if the stand was called the Bill Bloggs Stand I doubt that we'd hear much of a squawk about it being demolished. (As much as I hate to say it) It really is past it's use by date.
I'm very sentimental about the stand, I'm A LOT MORE sentimental about the RFC being embedded at the PRO for years to come

Reactions: 2 users

14tempany

Tiger Rookie
Apr 12, 2009
You can make that statement but back it up with an idea that gives the football dept and the club state-of-the-art facilities whilst keeping the stand
I am not an architect or have any skills in the area of building design
What I dont like is that the club has never made a statement that they went into it in depth with maybe various architectural firms and it ended up being just not possible to incorporate SOME of the stand in the design.
Look at many other cities in Australia and the world - they have successfully kept heritage buildings intact or tastefully and meaningfully kept part of it in the design of the new building. I also look around the world and see many many famous old sports grounds that look as if they have been preserved
And as for me personally being sentimental about it being the "Jack Dyer " stand - for me that is not important at all as it began life as just a simple stand made to provide weather protection and a place to sit and watch the team.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I am not an architect or have any skills in the area of building design
What I dont like is that the club has never made a statement that they went into it in depth with maybe various architectural firms and it ended up being just not possible to incorporate SOME of the stand in the design.
Look at many other cities in Australia and the world - they have successfully kept heritage buildings intact or tastefully and meaningfully kept part of it in the design of the new building. I also look around the world and see many many famous old sports grounds that look as if they have been preserved
And as for me personally being sentimental about it being the "Jack Dyer " stand - for me that is not important at all as it began life as just a simple stand made to provide weather protection and a place to sit and watch the team.
acknowledge all that but the JD stand is not heritage listed nor is it a famous old sports ground, its a suburban oval with a pretty ordinary stand that is a bloody fire hazard thats full of possums and possum *smile*.

Problem with "in depth with maybe various architectural firms " is that it costs a truck load, no-one does anything for nothing (except quotes) in the construction game

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The Dave Chessell Stand is in the way if we want decent facilities at Punt Rd, they cannot expand the playing area without demolishing it.

To be honest, it is not that great a stand anyway, and it has been modified since it was built. Plus, if the club just leaves it alone it will fall down of its own accord.

What is being asked of the club is to spend big bucks, more than the cost of demolishing and starting from scratch, to retain the old stand. Are those advocating to retain the old stand willing to stump up the funds to restore it and make it fit with the redevelopment?

DS

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
i Wonder if a train stop could be tunneled so it pulls up just under gate 5 at the G , bloody long walk from the London to Punt rd Oval and then to the G

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i Wonder if a train stop could be tunneled so it pulls up just under gate 5 at the G , bloody long walk from the London to Punt rd Oval and then to the G

Which is why i have argued for many years a massive beer barn and bistro should be built underneath the new JD stand.

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Nobody seems to want to touch this but the AFL are completely shafting our club & WE members are the ones who're going to have to pay for it.
Fundraising from member$ to address a $50m shortfall?! Give me a spell.

Staying in the pokie business to build new change rooms? Ok then. Dion't preach about all the good you're doing for the community.
On top of that, there's talk of our club going into debt to pay for this facility? How are we going to pay it back? Fundrai$ing/pokies??

Meanwhile AFL House funneling all their funds from the TV rights into the expansion franchise$ (money pits).
The AFL have basically said that there's no money for us. In fact they cut our budget by $2m this year!
We are in this position because we doubled in size as a club overnight due to the a new league being introduced.
Sure it feels nice but the AFLW team makes basically no money & costs a truckload of funding to keep afloat.
Unless we build this new facility there is a genuine chance we can't stay at Punt Road.
This is the no 1 issue for our club leaders right now & it should be for club members too. Ask questions, don't stay quiet.

Reactions: 1 users

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
Anyone have an update on the start date for the redevelopment?
Just heard an interview with Nicole Livingston (AFLW boss). She said there will be an AFLW game on AFL Grand Final morning, but it can’t be held at Punt Road this year because of the redevelopment.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Anyone have an update on the start date for the redevelopment?
Just heard an interview with Nicole Livingston (AFLW boss). She said there will be an AFLW game on AFL Grand Final morning, but it can’t be held at Punt Road this year because of the redevelopment.
All our AFLW home games this season are at Ikon Park, so you’d think they’d be starting after the VFL wraps up?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Today the State Government cancels the games due to budget blowouts..apparently the budget has increased by 3 x the forecast budget.

Just how much EXACTLY is the Punt Road Oval redevelopment costing our club as it stands today versus 2 years ago when the project was started (initial budget forecast $60m)?

Can our football club actually afford this project given the way construction costs have blown out? I sure hope we are being prudent with our finances.

There were rumours of it blowing out to $90m six months ago. How much is the project going to cost now?
Will we members see the results of the tender?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
We could change our name to the Barossa Uni Blues Polo Ponies and Gil would stump up the lot on his way out.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Today the State Government cancels the games due to budget blowouts..apparently the budget has increased by 3 x the forecast budget.

Just how much EXACTLY is the Punt Road Oval redevelopment costing our club as it stands today versus 2 years ago when the project was started (initial budget forecast $60m)?

Can our football club actually afford this project given the way construction costs have blown out? I sure hope we are being prudent with our finances.

There were rumours of it blowing out to $90m six months ago. How much is the project going to cost now?
Will we members see the results of the tender?
Tender is being tightened up as we speak.
Last estimate of $90m as per Benny's aside at Dimma's exit press conference.
The diff between original $60m estimate two years ago is not just cost blow-out but also increased scope / facilities, which will require increased funding participation from other parties.
In other words, that "gap" is not gonna fall back solely onto members / supporters / patrons.
I believe we are being prudent with our finances and I believe the delay is due to further risk mitigation to protect from cost blow-out.
Its an exciting project and one that is much needed imho - hoping a FID (Final Investment Decision) is announced shortly.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Need to get on with it and start the work. Of course it will cost more than the original estimates, everything always does. I do find the prices of commercial building a bit ridiculous, $90m? Really?

DS