QANTAS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

QANTAS

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
What a complete dog. At least the unions announce their strikes in advance. My booking is through BA but operated by QANTAS. He doesnt need to worry about unions killing the company, he's doing it himself.

*smile*.

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
Elmer said:
What a complete dog. At least the unions announce their strikes in advance. My booking is through BA but operated by QANTAS. He doesnt need to worry about unions killing the company, he's doing it himself.

*smile*.

Qatar or Singapore Airlines, Elmer. Haven't touched BA/Qantas for years and am much better for it.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
I don't know much about it, but if it's true that Qantas shares have fallen from $6 to $1.50, why did shareholders approve his $2m bonus?

Imagine his bonus if the share price had gone up.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
I don't know much about it, but if it's true that Qantas shares have fallen from $6 to $1.50, why did shareholders approve his $2m bonus?

Being paid to kill the unprofitable Qantas brand off and focus on Jetstar and expansion in asia.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
mld said:
Being paid to kill the unprofitable Qantas brand off and focus on Jetstar and expansion in asia.

Think you hit the nail on the head !

I doubt he would have done such an action without the support of the board and he is using the union(& their demands) as his tool to acheive this goals.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
mld said:

Bingo. Qantas wages are based on the days of $450+ airfares to Sydney. Those days are long gone. Jetstar was set up as a different company with different wages and conditions to allow for competative airfares so they can kill off Qantas and be profitable with Jetstar.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Total Tiger said:
Bingo. Qantas wages are based on the days of $450+ airfares to Sydney. Those days are long gone. Jetstar was set up as a different company with different wages and conditions to allow for competative airfares so they can kill off Qantas and be profitable with Jetstar.

Makes sense. Would be one of the few industries where prices have gone down (dramatically) in the past 30 years.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Can someone explain to me why it was not possible for Qantas to give a few days warning that if industrial action continued the airline would be grounded ? Why was it necessary to do it without warning ?

Phar Ace

"PRE just banned my biggest fan!"
Jun 17, 2004
Queensland
Streak said:
Good point Sinners.

Joyce just has no idea. If he thinks he is winning popular support, he is sadly mistaken.

Geez, you'd be hardly judging him fairly if you think he is trying to win popular support. These are not decisions for the CEo alone and anyone wishing to pillory him on that is misguided.

TT - Qantas domestic is highly profitable, it is the international sector of the business that is non-performing.

Always thought Joyce was a wrong choice in this role - this is his acid test right now.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Phar Ace said:
Geez, you'd be hardly judging him fairly if you think he is trying to win popular support. These are not decisions for the CEo alone and anyone wishing to pillory him on that is misguided.

I reckon Phar Ace that he is hoping to get some public support for his stance. Hence talking about receiveing death threats and the like.

Phar Ace said:
Always thought Joyce was a wrong choice in this role - this is his acid test right now.

While I would not know how suitable he is for the role, I'd agree it is his acid test.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Grounding all flights has nothing to do with trying to gain sympathy or public support. The Qantas board are trying to force the government to intervene using emergency powers under the Fair Work Australia laws and end the industrial action. From all reports it looks like it's going to work, at least for a while.

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
Streak said:
Good point Sinners.

Joyce just has no idea. If he thinks he is winning popular support, he is sadly mistaken.

Qantas should have appointed John Borgheti as CEO, started off the bottam at Qantas and worked his way up to management level at Qantas, great people person and well respected but the CEO job was given to Joyce and Borgheti has moved to CEO of Virgin Blue where he is doing great things