Re: Bachar Houli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Re: Bachar Houli

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Apparently Port are investigating that Bachar was racially abused during the game.

Smoking Aces said:
Apparently Port are investigating that Bachar was racially abused during the game.

I think it was only the lady that heard it (non Tiger fan?) and reported it. Not sure if Bash actually heard it, and even so, he wouldn't do a Goodes or Labamba drama queen act, and would just take it on the chin.

TigerForce said:
Not sure if Bash actually heard it, and even so, he wouldn't do a Goodes or Labamba drama queen act, and would just take it on the chin.

I don't see why someone should have to cop racism 'on the chin'.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Is it racial or religious vilification? I mean, the Koran does call on Muslims to slay non-Muslims ('infidels').
The Quran says many things that are contradictory to that, the Bible also says "an eye for an eye ".

We all think the moderate muslims should do more to counteract the radical elements and try to be part of Australian society. Bachar Houli is exactly that. He and his family live what we are calling out for Australian Muslims to be. ( I have personal experience with members of the Houli family)

This sort of garbage ( calling him a terrorist) needs to be called out for what it is. Vilification, racial or religious doesn't matter.

If we want moderate muslims to have a voice then we have to encourage them to speak out, just like Bachar does.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Are there any quotes from Bachar in print which renounce e.g. the actions of ISIS?
This is not for the footy threads really but Bachar lives his Muslim faith rather than saying a lot. What he does with Muslim youth, the Bachar Houli Cup, the way he lives as part of the society is what he and his family do.

Actions rather than words. Whether he publicly buys into Iraq and syria is up to him.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Is it racial or religious vilification?

I'd only heard one report that described it as a 'racist attack' when I commented, and they didn't say what was said. Racial or religious, he still doesn't have to cop it. And I don't think it's his job to condemn ISIS. That sort of thing is a very big ring to throw your hat into for a bloke who just wants to play footy. Promoting diversity and encouraging Muslims to play the game is one thing, but that is a whole different thing.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Are there any quotes from Bachar in print which renounce e.g. the actions of ISIS?

Should Joel Selwood come out and give his political views?
How about player X comment on the Catholic Church's behaviour? ::)
Take your prejudices back to the race/religion thread L2R. Has no place on the football board.

Sintiger said:
This is not for the footy threads really but Bachar lives his Muslim faith rather than saying a lot. What he does with Muslim youth, the Bachar Houli Cup, the way he lives as part of the society is what he and his family do.

Actions rather than words. Whether he publicly buys into Iraq and syria is up to him.

TJsFurrow said:
I'd only heard one report that described it as a 'racist attack' when I commented, and they didn't say what was said. Racial or religious, he still doesn't have to cop it. And I don't think it's his job to condemn ISIS. That sort of thing is a very big ring to throw your hat into for a bloke who just wants to play footy. Promoting diversity and encouraging Muslims to play the game is one thing, but that is a whole different thing.

Fair comments, though the reluctance to denounce helps to perpetuate the inscrutability (and hence ignorance) surrounding Islam in this country which led to the incident in the first place.

I'm another one with local knowledge of the Houli family , great in the community. If anyone is interested http://bacharhouli.com.au/.

Back to the footy. I was there and yes, Bachar made some errors, but there were at least a dozen players worse than him. He at least tried to do something.

sportshow said:
worlds gone mad ..... political correctness out of control ::)

agree, if you cant go around calling someone a terrorist because they are muslim what can you do?

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

personally i am disgusted Miles, Ablett and every other Christian footballer hasnt denounced that actions of the pedophelic priests and the church that has covered it up, supported those priests and attacked the victims.

Tigers of Old said:
Take your prejudices back to the race/religion thread L2R. Has no place on the football board.

true.

Tigers of Old said:

Yep, getting off track, but it was an honest question. Frankly I think this is at the very lowest end of the scale of vilification, given the current climate.

joegarra said:
I'm another one with local knowledge of the Houli family , great in the community. If anyone is interested http://bacharhouli.com.au/.

Back to the footy. I was there and yes, Bachar made some errors, but there were at least a dozen players worse than him. He at least tried to do something.

I disagree. I'm a fan of Bachar but I actually think he was close to worst on ground.

Back to the main topic. It saddens me when people make comments like that but it also saddens me that we are in a world where the only way to stop this behaviour is to make a severe example of the few offenders that get caught. It would be much better if the community could remind people that it is not acceptable whenever it happens.

A Richmond 'supporter' in bay Section S123 made a similar comment about Bachar on Sunday. I didn't hear it but my mate did. He turned around, made eye contact with the imbecile and shook his head. The offender and his mates soon realised/remembered that the comment was unacceptable and appeared to become embarrassed. Presumably they will think twice before saying (or thinking) something similar next time. I am sure there were dozens of other ignorant people at the ground that made similar comments and Bachar wouldn't have heard any of them. To me, it would be much better to have a dozen people do what my mate did rather than one person report it and start a witch hunt; a witch hunt that some people (e.g. the offenders) will dismiss as 'political correctness gone mad'.

Im a little wary now when someone has apparently heard something in the crowd ,

Ill give you an example of something I saw and heard this year ,

Swans Richmond at the G in June ,

A few rows behind me an old fella yelled out , ya mongrel Goodes ,

A couple of rows in front of me a girl turned around in disgust and said to her friend pointing at the bloke , did you hear that , he just called Goodes a monkey ,

True Story