Regroup and make changes. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Regroup and make changes.

We cannot go into next year with the same group.
Cotchin or Riewoldt 1 needs to retire.
Edwards & Lambert retire.
Nakas or Soldo 1 stays 1 goes.
Bring in players to fit holes.
Hopper Green Tarranto McLean
Try to get Powell Pepper. He is properly Ports best ball winning mid. Tough as nails, he would be exactly what we need
Get a real fitness & conditioning coach.
We must make changes otherwise, Bolton will get up and leave and then we will be waiting another 36 years
We need a tallish marking forward like Jackson or tbat bloke from Port Adelaide its a priority even if jack plays on

Reactions: 1 users
It’s full rebuild time, not half arsed *smile* that keeps us in the middle of the ladder for years upon end. I don’t want it. We’ve been there before. Last years draft crop look decent so far, go again this year and next. Go hard for as many draft picks as possible. Then in 2 years start picking off a trade here and there.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree. Unfortunately, 2022 is not another 2016. Prestia, Nank and Caddy were brought in to complement 4 absolute legends in Rance, Martin, Cotchin and Reiwoldt. Plus great players at the peak of their powers in Houli, Grimes Vlas, Lambert, Edwards...etc. Then along came Tom Lynch and emerging stars in Rioli, Bolton, Baker and Short.

We were star studded. About 15 elite players all clicking at the same time. This is not the case now. I think the draft is the only way out of this...and its going to take some time...and some pain....and nailing our first and second rounders!

I think bringing in Taranto or Hopper through trade (most likely for our first rounder + maybe more) is equivalent to Hawthorn getting in O'Meara when all their dynasty stars were slowly disappearing. Very good footballer. Brought in as a 23 year old. Now 28. Helped Hawthorn a bit but will he be part of Hawthorn's next premiership team? Highly unlikely.

Trade out for draft picks is what I think we should do.
Yep exactly I don't see Taranto or Hopper putting us in the frame so go to the draft put a few big names on the table and load up with picks and target free agency and few kids on the outer at other clubs.

Paddy Dow will take games away from kids and he aren't worth it.

Maybe we don't make radical changes. Maybe we just keep bringing young players through gradually like we are with an aim to win another flag in a few years.
Natural attrition of a successful group is underway but there's plenty of green shoots.

Don’t agree Oldie. We are stuck with our coach who has done poorly ever since the rule changes (stand and 666), which were both designed to reduce the amount of football played in and around packs.
(However Saturdays game was played quite differently by Dimma, and hopefully we will see similarly revised strategy(s) become the norm).

As for our list it needs to be shaped to prioritise clean hands, disposal and speed.
Can see at least 4 of our greats soon to be out the door and players like Castagna, Graham and Nankervis offered fewer incentives to stay.

T
Nah mate, the Richmond model
How many flags you think we win without Cotchin Pick 2, Dusty pick 3?
That was when Elvis was alive.
We have got 2 first rounders right in over the last 14. Rioli & BigV.
Vickery, Lennon, Ellis x2, Higgins, Dow, Collier Dawkins,
Special mentions to Coleman Jones & Griffens.
You can't trust us at the Draft we will be waiting for another 36 yrs.
We hand Geelong a pick 2 yrs ago and they snag Holmes.
We should stick to what we are good at, taking risks on kids and we absolutely smash it when it comes to Rookie picks.
We should off load ND picks, use them to fill holes and then hit the Rookie or Preseason Draft with multiple picks.
It's proven now kids in the ND think there shiit dosent stink, Horne Francis, King, Rankins, Durrsma etc.
Where kids coming out the other drafts are hungry and accept things thrown at them
Milocheck Lambert Bresut Sandilands Foley the kid yesterday for Collingwood 2 goals in the last qtr.
1st rounder use to sound good, the bees kness but not for me especially with the donkeys we have selecting them.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Id take dow but not sure what would get it done this years second rounder and next years?
Dow? As in Paddy Dow? 2 2nds!! Carlton couldn't rip them out of your hand fast enough. 1 pick between 45 and 55 would be enough to get him based on historical trades.

Reactions: 2 users
How would it be if we got all 3(Taranto/Hopper & Green) and still keep Norths pick.
Do you think one club will let three players walk to one club? We wouldn't have the capital to make it happen.

The issue we have is quite simple we are now hurting by not having two quality mids out of the Ben Lennon, Corey Ellis, Jack Higgins, RCD and Thompson Dow picks.

If we had uncorked two B-B+ mids from these picks. our list would be in so much better shape.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Do you think one club will let three players walk to one club? We wouldn't have the capital to make it happen.

The issue we have is quite simple we are now hurting by not having two quality mids out of the Ben Lennon, Corey Ellis, Jack Higgins, RCD and Thompson Dow picks.

If we had uncorked two B-B+ mids from these picks. Our list would be in so much better shape.
We have the capital with a capital D.
Dusty & Pick 9 for the 3.
How many bums on seats do they get at West Sydney?

We have just had Kane hanging up his boots and I think we can expect at least two more, maybe three of our aging stars to follow suit at seasons end. I think Shane will walk after an illustrious 300 odd game career and one or both of Trent and Jack although they may want to go on for another season. I would rather see a great player and club man go out at the top of his game than see a shell of a player struggling in one season too many. It may mean we will have a problem next season with boys trying to fill a mans boots but we need to look at progression before we can hit the heights again

We rolled the dice, it came up snake eyes… it happens. No one, not even the pro gurus here predicted such a cliff or soft tissue for some of our aging stars hello dusty, Lynch, shedda and lambo… nor that a couple probably haven’t come on as envisaged… bloody odd year really.
Minor reset, some will retire, some will get cut, few off field fresh ideas and we are up n running again

Maybe we don't make radical changes. Maybe we just keep bringing young players through gradually like we are with an aim to win another flag in a few years.
Natural attrition of a successful group is underway but there's plenty of green shoots.
i reckon you are right. we have been more than competitive this year without much impact from Dusty, Lynch, ShEdwards, Jack and Lambert. Grimes and Nank have been ok without being at their best, likewise Prestia. I reckon we are a chance to contend again next year, if things go a bit more right than they have so far this year, especially if we trade in a good mid, and from there much will depend on the kids who are on the edges now.