Retire / Trade / Delist | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Retire / Trade / Delist

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
We want to win the premiership, Olds. Why would we trade half of the best wing combo in the comp, when wongers are so important on the G?

Plus, forcing out loved players to bring in outsiders is a short cut to Riftsville.
Of course we want to win the flag but younger players have come in this year and played roles well. Don't think we should be fearful of giving youth opportunity.
McIntosh has been a superb player & is a much loved clubman so I'm glad it's not me making these decisions.
However he did have a calf issue this year & could walk away to a better much offer at the end of next season for nothing.
All I'm saying is that if it means improving our list longer term I think it should be considered. Sometimes you need to sell at the highest point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Of course we want to win the flag but younger players have come in this year and played roles well. Don't think we should be fearful of giving youth opportunity.
McIntosh has been a superb player & is a much loved clubman so I'm glad it's not me making these decisions.
However he did have a calf issue this year & could walk away to a better much offer at the end of next season for nothing.
All I'm saying is that if it means improving our list longer term I think it should be considered. Sometimes you need to sell at the highest point.
If he walks for a better offer next year we'll get a compo pick.

Sam Banks is not going from zero games to premiership wingman in 12 months.

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Apparently the Westies want 2 first rounders for Taranto and a top 10 pick for Hopper....good luck with that
Why? TT is worth that, and we could do it. And the pick 10 is a reasonable opening bid, we'd counter, will take some doing, but doable.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
From a pure numbers perspective, we don't need to delist anyone do we? Sheds, Lambert, Caddy all retired, that's 3 senior slots. The number of players we delist might indicate how many picks we intend to use and/or trade.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I used Cerra in my initial post. Not sure why I need to address that again.

I think its well known that Essendon massively overpaid on Shiel so not sure why we would use that one.

Neale was traded for 6 and 19 (some 50's junk pick too), with 30 coming back and is a better player than both Taranto and Hopper.
In hindsight they overpaid massively for Shiel, but at the time it was just a regular marginal overpaid, just like we did for injury-prone 'midge' Prestia. Its a valid reference, regardless of what you think of him then or now, he, like TT, was a high profile midfielder in his prime from the GWS coming home.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
If he walks for a better offer next year we'll get a compo pick.

Sam Banks is not going from zero games to premiership wingman in 12 months.
Brando fetched us pick 39 in compo. Be something similar or even less so wouldn't be banking on that.

Banks may not be ready to fill that role but Ralphsmith might. Besides I'm far from convinced we're in the premiership window for next season still.
Been a brilliant wingman for a while now but an aging Kamdyn could have continuing calf issues next year for all we know.

Anyways I'm just chewing the fat.:cool:

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Why? TT is worth that, and we could do it. And the pick 10 is a reasonable opening bid, we'd counter, will take some doing, but doable.

For me TT is worth similar to Cerra...first rounder and a future first. Yes Freo got pick 6 for Cerra but that's purely because Carlton had that pick. Ours is 12. Take that or next year's first. Perhaps compensate with a 2nd rounder instead of the future third.

Hopper averaged 19 disposals this year at 67% with average of 4 clangers....hardly a top 10 draft pick.

Still think our first rounder, next year's first rounder and our 2nd rounder should be enough for the package

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Brando fetched us pick 39 in compo. Be something similar or even less so wouldn't be banking on that.

Banks may not be ready to fill that role but Ralphsmith might. Besides I'm far from convinced we're in the premiership window for next season still.
Been a brilliant wingman for a while now but an aging Kamdyn could have continuing calf issues next year for all we know.

Fair enough but I doubt anyone will give us much better than 39 for Kam anyway. I'd rather trade Hugo.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

We got absolutely shafted by the AFL (again) with that Ellis compensation.

Yet another proof point with those aholes.

Reactions: 5 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
What's Short worth? 2019 Stack could cover the position and would be delicious lining up next to Drioli.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Anyone who listened to Lambert’s retirement speech will appreciate Shorts standing at the club

Reactions: 6 users
Feb 25, 2007

AFL trade news: Jacob Hopper requests trade from GWS Giants to Richmond​

Jacob Hopper has officially requested a trade from GWS, leaving Richmond with a mighty task to land two midfield stars. See how the deal could get done and have your say.

Greater Western Sydney star Jacob Hopper has chosen Richmond as his trade destination as the Tigers dragged another Giants star out of the NSW club with a long-term deal of more than five years..
Hopper is set to be part of an astonishing trade double act that will see the Tigers recharge their midfield with two of the Giants most exciting players with Tim Taranto joining the club on a seven-year deal.

Geelong had been a strong suitor for Hopper, who is a GWS academy player growing up in the small Riverine town of Leeton but boarded in Ballarat while at St Patrick’s College.

But the Tigers are believed to have pitched a more lucrative deal and have also offered more years, potentially up to the seven seasons they have offered Tim Taranto.

The Cats will now plan their next move, unwilling to significantly up their offer given they pay players in fairly strict bands to ensure fairness across the list.

Richmond has long believed it could secure one of the Giants midfielders given the tight salary cap that GWS is trying to rectify this year.

But to secure both Taranto and Hopper will immediately put the Tigers back in as premiership contenders if it can orchestrate trades for the pair.

It seems likely Richmond will have to hand over most of picks 12, 19, 30 and next year’s future first-rounder for the pair and potentially throw in a player like ruckman Ivan Soldo.

GWS will ask for two first rounders for Taranto but the market for experienced mids of his quality in recent years has normally been two first-rounders with a second-rounder handed back.

Richmond believes Taranto’s vast tank will allow him to play as a more defensive mid who wins key stoppages but then can two-way run and allow Shai Bolton and Dustin Martin to play a more offensive role.

Hopper, a former No.7 draft pick, had his 2022 season ruined by a knee injury but last year averaged 26 disposals, 98 ranking points, 12 contested possessions and 6.3 stoppages a game.

At only 25 the Tigers will believe they can get 150 exceptional games from him and keep their premiership window wide open.

Hopper is under contract but the Giants are prepared to trade him as they shed as much as $1 million of cap space to realign their salary position for future years.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021

AFL trade news: Jacob Hopper requests trade from GWS Giants to Richmond​

Jacob Hopper has officially requested a trade from GWS, leaving Richmond with a mighty task to land two midfield stars. See how the deal could get done and have your say.

Greater Western Sydney star Jacob Hopper has chosen Richmond as his trade destination as the Tigers dragged another Giants star out of the NSW club with a long-term deal of more than five years..
Hopper is set to be part of an astonishing trade double act that will see the Tigers recharge their midfield with two of the Giants most exciting players with Tim Taranto joining the club on a seven-year deal.

Geelong had been a strong suitor for Hopper, who is a GWS academy player growing up in the small Riverine town of Leeton but boarded in Ballarat while at St Patrick’s College.

But the Tigers are believed to have pitched a more lucrative deal and have also offered more years, potentially up to the seven seasons they have offered Tim Taranto.

The Cats will now plan their next move, unwilling to significantly up their offer given they pay players in fairly strict bands to ensure fairness across the list.

Richmond has long believed it could secure one of the Giants midfielders given the tight salary cap that GWS is trying to rectify this year.

But to secure both Taranto and Hopper will immediately put the Tigers back in as premiership contenders if it can orchestrate trades for the pair.

It seems likely Richmond will have to hand over most of picks 12, 19, 30 and next year’s future first-rounder for the pair and potentially throw in a player like ruckman Ivan Soldo.

GWS will ask for two first rounders for Taranto but the market for experienced mids of his quality in recent years has normally been two first-rounders with a second-rounder handed back.

Richmond believes Taranto’s vast tank will allow him to play as a more defensive mid who wins key stoppages but then can two-way run and allow Shai Bolton and Dustin Martin to play a more offensive role.

Hopper, a former No.7 draft pick, had his 2022 season ruined by a knee injury but last year averaged 26 disposals, 98 ranking points, 12 contested possessions and 6.3 stoppages a game.

At only 25 the Tigers will believe they can get 150 exceptional games from him and keep their premiership window wide open.

Hopper is under contract but the Giants are prepared to trade him as they shed as much as $1 million of cap space to realign their salary position for future years.

The negativity in the article is there for everyone to see.
We offered more yrs. 2 more then Geelong.
We offered more money, more then Geelong.
BUT we need to come up with Trade value to get the deals done.
I'm pretty sure GWS have already marked them to leave because of Cap issues.
It's not like we haven't got anything.
We have 2 1st rounders
The highly sort after pick 19.
Pick 30.
And if GWS are interested on Collier Dawkins or Ralphsmith or Dow or Soldo or Graham or Short.
There's plenty to choose from.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
:mhihi Spitty Watson on Ch 7 news "and later in sport Mitch, another star has declared he wants to play for a big
Melbourne club"

It was news hours ago idiot!!! No use hiding who's who.