Retire / Trade / Delist | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Retire / Trade / Delist

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Grimes was a PSD pick himself. Early draft picks alone are not the only solution.

It is better to try to replace your aging stars by taking multiple players and developing them. There are enough Premiership players on our list that were taken with late picks.

All I am suggesting is that we need to take a pair of key defenders, a key forward and two midfielders to round out our list. We will have too many talls in the short term but this will provide cover.
2 key forwards & 2 key backs these must be our priorties in the next two years of selections

Reactions: 1 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
We have plenty of young key defenders on the list - we're fine on that front.

We traded Taranto and Hopper to somewhat replace Chimp. With Dusty and Meatball moving out of the midfield in coming years, that area is fine to keep drafting people in.

Key forwards and small/medium forwards that can split through the middle (replacing Lablett and Shed) could still do with stocking up as well.

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
We have plenty of young key defenders on the list - we're fine on that front.

We traded Taranto and Hopper to somewhat replace Chimp. With Dusty and Meatball moving out of the midfield in coming years, that area is fine to keep drafting people in.

Key forwards and small/medium forwards that can split through the middle (replacing Lablett and Shed) could still do with stocking up as well.
I reckon most people think we are fine for midfielders. I say keep on buying. Chimp , Dusty Prestia aren't getting any younger and the cupboard is bare. Sonzie shows promise but Dow will be gone in a year and we don't have any other developing mids.

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I think I heard on the wireless that the Pies delisted Poulton who was a high pick and played 11 games in his first season, I know nothing about him , however is he worth a punt ?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I think I heard on the wireless that the Pies delisted Poulton who was a high pick and played 11 games in his first season, I know nothing about him , however is he worth a punt ?
He’s a nice looking player, tall smooth moving mid. Wonder why Collingwood dumped him. Not sure if after getting T&H another mid is what we need.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I think we need 2 tall forwards, 2 mids and a young ruck on the list. I agree that we probably have enough young defenders, but if 1 of those talls became a defender, thats ok too. We will likely lose 2 more key defenders at the end of next year (Tarrant and Grimes) so you'd think Miller and Biggie might be needed to fill those gaps, unless we go back to a shorter defense when we might only need 1 of them to come in.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
I think we need 2 tall forwards, 2 mids and a young ruck on the list. I agree that we probably have enough young defenders, but if 1 of those talls became a defender, thats ok too. We will likely lose 2 more key defenders at the end of next year (Tarrant and Grimes) so you'd think Miller and Biggie might be needed to fill those gaps, unless we go back to a shorter defense when we might only need 1 of them to come in.

Gibcus and Balta will be holding the defensive keys for the next decade ILHO.

Biggie and Miller in support. Loads of depth/options.

Reactions: 4 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
All I am suggesting is that we need to take a pair of key defenders, a key forward and two midfielders to round out our list. We will have too many talls in the short term but this will provide cover.
Will also provide trade capital for others looking for talls in the ensuing years.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
The biggest concern is that Tarrant, Riewoldt, Cotchin and possibly Grimes are all at, or near, the end of their careers. We may end up using the mid season draft to replace one of them next year.

I would look at a like for like replacement for each of them now. It will probably unbalance our list slightly because we will go into the season with too many talls but it seemed prudent to start blooding their replacements ASAP.

Jack, Cotch and Grimes are all generational players and will not be easy to replace. We will need several irons in the fire to do it successfully.
When’s grimes contract up

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
We suffered at draft time over many years as a result of their arrival but credit where credit is due.
GWS and Goldy have become excellent feeder clubs and we should continue to foster our relationships with their incoming players, potential and other.

Last edited:

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
The decision by the AFL to permit the transfer of former 1st pick JHF to Port Adelaide, is perhaps a matter the authority felt it couldn’t interfere with.
Intentionally or not however this transfer has created a significant precedent.

From this decision it is now clear that
1) contracts continue not to mean much as far and the players are concerned, and that the current AFL approach invites players to seek a transfer whenever they please notwithstanding any prior existing contractual obligation.
2) The preservation of any contractual obligation to remain a player at the drafting club, not only isn’t applicable to players who are into their second and third contracts, but also now to kids of 18 or so who are in the very first year of their very first contract.

Suggest that there will soon be some pushback from the clubs as the above situation causes the competition to become more and more lopsided.
This may include the introduction of a US style arrangement where players can be traded to another club (and city) irrespective of the wishes of the player concerned.

Last edited: