Retire / Trade / Delist | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Retire / Trade / Delist

You know Cumberland has kicked 8 goals in his last 2 games and is coming off An ACL last season Rancey ?
Yep well aware. Im not expecting him to be moved on (just like I dont expect Ross or Aarts to be moved on), however the jury is still out on him. In hindsight it is probably a bit unfair to put him in the same basket as these other two who we do know a fair bit about already.

Ill move him to a "watch this space" category with Biggie.

Yep well aware. Im not expecting him to be moved on (just like I dont expect Ross or Aarts to be moved on), however the jury is still out on him. In hindsight it is probably a bit unfair to put him in the same basket as these other two who we do know a fair bit about already.

Ill move him to a "watch this space" category with Biggie.
Nothing wrong with having an opinion on a player Rancey, 12 months down the track you maybe spot on. More often then not all clubs hold on to players a year or 2 too long .

Reactions: 1 user
Retire - Houli, Astbury
Trade - CCJ, Chol, Castagna
Delist - Egg, Garthwaite, Miller, Mansell.

I think the club will do something like this:

Delist: Houli (wants to continue to play), Eggmolesse-Smith, Chol, Naish, Garthwaite, Miller, Parker

Retire: Astbury

Trade table: Caddy

Retire - Houli, Astbury
Trade - CCJ, Chol, Castagna
Delist - Egg, Garthwaite, Miller, Mansell.
Houli want's to play on, I'd like Astbury to play on, as there is no obvious replacement, Miller & Biggy unkown quantities.

Chol probably goes as FA, but SFA in compo, Naish, Eggmollesse-Smith & Garthwaite gone.

If we can find a home for Caddy he'll be traded, even if we have to pick up a % of his wage, stuck with Aarts.

Hard calls to be made on Parker & Pickett, don't believe we can carry both, Kmac has currency, Ross stays, Mansell's a rookie so gets another year at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The number of delists etc will be dependent on what we bring in and how many picks we take to the draft.

Initially though
Delist = Egg, Garth, Naish (reckon we will keep Miller on a 1 year base contract)
Trade = Chol (probably goes as a FA, hopefully get a 3rd back), Caddy (salary dump for a 5th round 2022), Pickett might be available
Retire = Houli and Astbury (houli you'd think is a certainty as much as I love him, Astbury will depend on other players I suspect)
In limbo = Parker

People talk about our salary cap as if its super tight, we only have 10 players signed after the end of next year right now (Balta, Bolton, Graham, Grims, Nank, Hugo, Dusty, Prestia, Lynch, Vlastuin)

I'd be looking at a mix of the now and the future in the off-season.

If we can get Crouch as a FA, or alternative is to trade 1 of our 2nds back for him if we get a 3rd for Chol. Essentially a slight pick downgrade but swap Crouch for Chol. Would significantly improve our current ability to compete at clearance and control territory better.

Depending on number of players traded out etc, we may need to try and move a few picks into next year. The dogs would be interested in that to get some more points this year for Darcy.

Houli want's to play on, I'd like Astbury to play on, as there is no obvious replacement, Miller & Biggy unkown quantities.

Chol probably goes as FA, but SFA in compo, Naish, Eggmollesse-Smith & Garthwaite gone.

If we can find a home for Caddy he'll be traded, even if we have to pick up a % of his wage, stuck with Aarts.

Hard calls to be made on Parker & Pickett, don't believe we can carry both, Kmac has currency, Ross stays, Mansell's a rookie so gets another year at least.
Considering Houli's age and how Rioli is going down back I'd make the call on Houli.
Astbury looking slower by the minute IMO.
Miller - 4 years and no exposure at the top level is poor list management.
Biggie is an interesting one, I've liked what I've seen from him down back of late, definite keeper.
Naish has shown some good traits, wouldn't be moving him on just yet.
Caddy I'm neither here nor there on and the Egg needs to be flipped.

Depending on who we trade out etc, but lets say we go with the below.

Delist - Egg, Garth, Naish
Retire - Houli (we'd probably trade him to another club for like Pick 100 or something to get him where he wants to be rather than delist)
Trade - Caddy
Free Agency - Chol

Assuming Chol gets around 3 years @ $400k which I think would be likely, he'd probably get band 5 compo so Pick 47 (right after our 3rd).

With that, we'd have 6 out and can only bring 5 in. I'm wondering if we bring Crouch in for Pick 27 (so we can pay him less and aren't under the FA rules, plus we'd lose the Chol compo), so people think we can trade the 3 picks we'd have in the 40's for say the Dogs 2nd and 3rd next year?

Ie. we trade Picks 42, 46, and 47, and bring in the Dogs 2nd and 3rd next year. Those picks are worth 1042 points which would get them pretty close to Darcy with their 1st. Exchange for say Picks 34 and 52 next year (788 points), so may need something else to gloss over the points, maybe an upgrade of our 2nd to their 1st. I'm not sure they'd do the last bit, or maybe we can get Lipinski thrown in.

We'd then have 4 spots left on the list (1 of them is a rookie spot), we'd take 9, 16 and 28 to the draft this year, and again have a great start for next years draft. 2 1sts, 1 2nd and 2 3rds.

Would be lucky to get $250k

If thats all he's offered then we would be keeping him. He'll get a lot more than that or stay at Richmond. He won't be delisted by the club. He'll either re-sign or move to another club via FA.

I'm not going to worry if he stays or goes.
I don't mind him I just don't think he's irreplaceable., depth player IMO.
I tend to agree on Mansell. They won’t delist or trade him, but he is very replaceable or upgradeable. Lot of the Steve Morrises about him.

If thats all he's offered then we would be keeping him. He'll get a lot more than that or stay at Richmond. He won't be delisted by the club. He'll either re-sign or move to another club via FA.
We will know in a few months

I am going against the grain here. I want it keep Houli. I am against tipping out guys who set the culture of our club. There are others ahead of him in the queue.

Reactions: 5 users
The number of delists etc will be dependent on what we bring in and how many picks we take to the draft.

Initially though
Delist = Egg, Garth, Naish (reckon we will keep Miller on a 1 year base contract)
Trade = Chol (probably goes as a FA, hopefully get a 3rd back), Caddy (salary dump for a 5th round 2022), Pickett might be available
Retire = Houli and Astbury (houli you'd think is a certainty as much as I love him, Astbury will depend on other players I suspect)
In limbo = Parker

People talk about our salary cap as if its super tight, we only have 10 players signed after the end of next year right now (Balta, Bolton, Graham, Grims, Nank, Hugo, Dusty, Prestia, Lynch, Vlastuin)

I'd be looking at a mix of the now and the future in the off-season.

If we can get Crouch as a FA, or alternative is to trade 1 of our 2nds back for him if we get a 3rd for Chol. Essentially a slight pick downgrade but swap Crouch for Chol. Would significantly improve our current ability to compete at clearance and control territory better.

Depending on number of players traded out etc, we may need to try and move a few picks into next year. The dogs would be interested in that to get some more points this year for Darcy.

We might get something decent for that bloke you have listed there called Dusty. ;)

I think he will be with us for a while yet (signed 7 years at the end of 2017).

We might get something decent for that bloke you have listed there called Dusty. ;)

I think he will be with us for a while yet (signed 7 years at the end of 2017).

I think you misread what I stated. I said that we only have 10 players signed AFTER next year and Dusty was in that group, highlighting that our cap might not be as tight as some seem to think, particularly when you look past next year.

Retire: Houli, Astbury
Delist: Garthwaite, Miller, Eggmolese-Smith,
Trade: Castagna, Aarts, Caddy,
Outgoing FA: Chol

Incoming FA: Billings, Talia, Dunstan, Crouch

Trade up 3rd and 2nd rounders.
Trade in: Taranto

4 picks in ND

That’s pretty close to how I see it playing out. I’d delist Chol regardless and do anything we realistically can to hang onto CCJ. He can share ruck with Nank next year and allow Soldo to rehab properly via VFL.

Parker back to Perth & up to Pickett as to what he does. If RCD or Ross can be traded to new homes, they can go. Big summer in gym & on tan for other kids.

I am going against the grain here. I want it keep Houli. I am against tipping out guys who set the culture of our club. There are others ahead of him in the queue.
I agree. Wont play as many games but would be invaluable to keep him on minimum $'s mentoring Stacky and Riolo