Rex Hunt for President? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rex Hunt for President?

tigerjoe

EAT 'EM ALIVE TIGERS!
Aug 24, 2003
Melbourne
As touted on 3aw tonight there are calls from Richmond members to get Rex Hunt to be President.
Well what do we think of that?
Would it be good to have Rex, (who shares an enormous media image with that Collingwood suck), as the boss bringing with him enormous publicity and attention.
I have heard him say that he does not have the time and isn't interested, but what if there was a huge ground swell of support, could that change his mind?
Could he be the one (along with a new coach) to get us out of the misery we are in now?
I was at Punt Rd for Jack Dyers wake and couldn't help but feel that now the great man has left us we are as Rex would say "a ship without a rudder".
Going back to the Richmond museum upset me because it has been way too long since an additional trophy or even sniff of success has been added to it.
Not to say that we can't continue on in the tradition of Jack, but we have lost an icon who was the most important man ever at our club.
Let us not fool ourselves, we are in trouble.
We have struggling membership numbers, leaked memos, poor dudd recycled players, poor coaches,
poor recruiters and no success for 23 years.

I think Rex (who is Richmond through and through) would be great for us. His passion, his tell it like it is and take no crap attitude is what we need.
I am not advocating that Clinton Casey has done a bad job, but if Rex was to say yes surely it would be a great thing for the club.

Make no mistake, I can't speak for other Richmond supporters, but I am not going to sit back and let my once great club wallow in the crap that it is in at the moment. Yes things take time , but I see no light at the end of the tunnell except a 15 carraige freight train that steam rolls us every time we take the field!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
If there is no clear direction from the club and we continue with this band-aid, short sighted recruiting, I urge all richmond supporters to write a letter to Rex pleading to him to use his influence to run for presidency and get rid of the current board and footballing department. We cannot just sit and take it anymore and have blind faith in these people............the people running the place are not Richmond..... we, the supporters are richmond.............they do not have richmond in their hearts, only in their wallets...................I for one will be writing to Rex.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
I'd rather not have Rex at Punt Rd.

Rex is too much of a tripper and is definately from a different planet.

We want people with brains not tripped out hippies.

We need people such as Caroline Wilson to be considered.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Harry said:
If there is no clear direction from the club and we continue with this band-aid, short sighted recruiting, I urge all richmond supporters to write a letter to Rex pleading to him to use his influence to run for presidency and get rid of the current board and footballing department. We cannot just sit and take it anymore and have blind faith in these people............the people running the place are not Richmond..... we, the supporters are richmond.............they do not have richmond in their hearts, only in their wallets...................I for one will be writing to Rex.

Harry, if we continue along this absurd path of utter incompetence and resulting failure (which we will with the current bunch of losers on the board and in the Football Department), then you can back it in that by the middle of next season there will be a revolt.

I'm not a radical, but geez I know continual incompetence and lack of talent when I see it. And when I see no improvement over a reasonable length of time, then I demand change.

I for one will be happy to participate in any coup.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
2 questions here what exactly has clinton casey done wrong here? and what makes people think rex would do a better job?

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
I suggested that Rex should be out President on this Forum over a month ago (see below). I received mixed responses but I stand by my thoughts that he would be an excellent leader of our club.
And don't get me started on Casey again please ...........any bloke who puts a plaque outside the main reception of the club with his own name on it just proves to me this bloke is only in it for self interest.

Just on Rex Hunt, I reckon he would be a fantastic President for our Club. He may come across as a bit of a larrikin, but Rex is a very astute businessman, is a passionate Tiger, is a former Tiger great who would do anything for the club to be a power again. Our current President has no idea about football, is in it for self interest (imo), repeatedly talks crap in the media, does not lead by example and is the second worst President in the Club's history (behind Alan Bond).
Furthermore, Rex has a National Profile that would help to market and promote the club. Look at Collingwood, one man has turned around the fortunes of that club - Eddie McGuire. Rex is similar to Eddie in profile and would be a fantastic President. What does everyone else think?

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
I agree, Johnno, I don't think it's yet time to lop off the President's head. By all means lead some of his underlings to the guillotine, transport some players to Devil's Island, and get the secret service out into the countryside to find new recruits to the Black & Yellow cause.
After being reminded that we recruited Big Lee and The Flea from Mildura, I say let's hear it for Sunraysia, bring back the recruiting territories, take back the Magoos, onward and upward, ever upward. We want successive flags, we need successive flags, and don't let's stop this time at just two.
Hey, you guys at Punt Road, not you Rosy, I mean RFC, if you *smile* your collective ears, you just might hear a distant rumble, it's the tumbrils coming to get you.
Viva Le Tiger!!!

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Just after the end of 1999 season, after another year of extreme mediocrity and the "resignation" of Geischen, my brother and I found ourselves sitting behind Rex in the Member's at Flemington one day.

It was just before Daphne stood down and Casey took over but we urged Rex to go back to Richmond as President. We were just starting to see the effect McGuire was having at Collingwood and Malthouse had been appointed coach.

Rex was really good and we had a good chat to him about the club. He said that the Presidency was something he would consider but not right then as he still needed about five years to set himself up with his business interests etc. He was, and still is, like most of us distraught at the level of mediocrity and ineptitude at RFC, particularly from a football perspective. He got stuck into the club for recruiting has been hacks like John Rombotis from other clubs and that they couldn't attract high quality coaches.

Well that was 4 years ago so I reckon it's not far from the time that Rex will seriously consider a return to Punt Road. Make no mistake, he is no dill, which gives him a start on most of the imbeciles there at the moment. Everything he does on TV and radio is theatre but he has made himself a very rich man by being very astute in business. He has the high profile and contacts that we need to pull this club out of the mire and get back on a level footing with Collingwood and Essendon, who have left us so far behind in the last few years because of our mediocrity.

Regarding Casey, he may have done an OK job with regard to off field matters and the finances of the club but let's get real, most of the hard work in that area was done by Daphne & co. I'm yet to see any great benefits that the Casey ticket has delivered. We continue to lag behind most clubs in sponsorship revenue and he appointed the most inept of General Managers in Mark Brayshaw.

But Casey's biggest failing is his acceptance of failure and mediocrity from the football department. He appointed Frawley and he has allowed proven failures like Hutchinson and Beck to remain and keep failing year after year. He has no vision for the return of the RFC to it's former powerful glory. Just compare where the team sits now to where it was at the end of 1999 when he took over. At the time it didn't seem possible, but we are worse!

Rex Hunt would not accept continued failure and mediocrity. He is a winner and will not let it happen. He is exactly what the RFC so desparately needs to stop us disappearing into oblivion.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
johnson2richo2003 said:
2 questions here what exactly has clinton casey done wrong here? and what makes people think rex would do a better job?

Put simply Casey has been at the helm for 4 years and we are no better now than when he took over and you could argue strongly that the club is actually worse off. He oversaw the appointments of Trevor Poole and Mark Brayshaw, membership is down, he oversees an inept board who have no vision or direction, and to top it off he has spent more money on the football department than ever before yet we only have a 40% win/loss record during his time.

I won't argue that Rex Hunt would do a better job but he couldn't do much worse.

tassiedave

Wingman of the future!
Aug 5, 2003
I am not sure that Rex as Pres would be the way to go straight away, but get him on the Board at least. Clinton has done some good work financially and things could be a lot worse than they are. Let Casey & Campbell conitinue their work and get Rex involved at some level.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Rex as President - No. But if he were to come to Richmond, I think he would be fantastic in a marketing role. He would be a great front man.

P

PuntRoadRoar

Rex Hunt For Prez? YES YES YES!!!

this was brought up a few months ago and it is something that needs to be done, with Channel Rex and such a high profile as Rex he could do what Eddie has done for collingwood, and the best thing about rex is if he has something on his mind he doesnt hold back.

no offence to casey but he doesnt have that high profile that we need at the club right now.

Rex Hunt for Prez...where do i place my vote?????

Ill put a giant speaker on my car with yellow and black balloons tied on and will go up and down everystreet callling Vote 1 for Rex

yibbida yibbida

thank ya mother for the rabbits........

YeahNah

Attitude + Expectation = Culture
Dec 19, 2002
Upper Yarra Valley
I think Casey has been good. I think Rex would be better. If Casey trully has Richmonds best interests at heart, I think he'd make way for Rex if Rex showed the willingness and commitment.

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
Rex would be great for Richmond.
We need Richmond blood flowing from the top to the bottom of this club-not people in it for the money and no success where it counts for Richmond people out there - on the field.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
regarding casey appointing spud is hardly a valid point it wasnt as if spud was our 1st choice.
im not fussed who is president in fact id rather have daphne back.
the way i see rex while there is no doubt his love for the club but i dont think ego,s and presidency dont go hand in hand.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Ridley said:
Regarding Casey, he may have done an OK job with regard to off field matters and the finances of the club but let's get real, most of the hard work in that area was done by Daphne & co. I'm yet to see any great benefits that the Casey ticket has delivered. We continue to lag behind most clubs in sponsorship revenue and he appointed the most inept of General Managers in Mark Brayshaw.

I think you will find Ridley - that we have secured some big $$$ sponsorships in the past few months that rival the big Clubs.

And you will find that Leon Daphne appointed Brayshaw - you need to remeber that Casey took over as President in late 1999 (DEC?) or early 2000.
Brayshaw was appointed in late Sept early Oct 1999.

Ridley said:
But Casey's biggest failing is his acceptance of failure and mediocrity from the football department. He appointed Frawley

Again Danny Frawley was originally appointed in 1999 by Leon Daphne. Casey and the board then extened his contract in 2001 - the year we made the premlim final

nick the tiger

I'm a llama!
Aug 21, 2003
I'm not so sure that Casey hired Harry Potter(Brayshaw). My understanding was that both Brayshaw and Frawley were put in place just prior to Casey becoming president. At least he did oversee Brayshaw's "resignation".

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
His blind faith of frawely and the coaching department and his ridiculous comments about frawely being on the right track and the right man for the job is enough to suggest he has no vision on footballing matters.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
nick the tiger said:
At least he did oversee Brayshaw's "resignation".

There are changes going on at the Club. Some of them we don't really get to hear about.

As things are sorted out, changes are made. But it takes time, if you want to get the "right" people, rather than making changes just to be seen to be doing something or to appease people.