Rex Hunt for President? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rex Hunt for President?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Happy to stand corrected Lill if Casey did not in fact appoint Frawley or Brayshaw. All of these appointments happened after the 1999 season and I can't remember the exact sequence in which they took place.

Not unhappy with Casey's performance in off field matters and if we're about to announce bigger and better sponsorships that's great. What I am unhappy about is the continued acceptance of mediocrity with regards to the playing list and the football staff, in particular Frawley, Hutchinson and Beck.

And I think Rex would bring a far greater, more positive profile to the club, and all the financial trimmings that come with that.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
IMO, the absolute last thing Richmond needs right now is board level upheaval. The absolute last thing.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Surely Rexy running for a seat on teh board wouldnt hurt though. That would have minimal impact compared ot a total overhaul and new president. Surely seat on the board would be a first step.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Dean3 said:
IMO, the absolute last thing Richmond needs right now is board level upheaval. The absolute last thing.

Totally agree with you Dean. For this to happen now, it would only harm the Club, rather than help it.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
I have no real problem with Clinton CASEYS's performance, but Rex has one thing that CASEY will never have. Inside knowledge on the game at the elite level.

He has a football background, has played at the elite level and played in a Premiership.

More importantly he bleeds Yellow and Black.

Maybe I am wrong here, but I can't help but suspect that Ian CAMPBELL may have played a large part in securing these new contract with his vision.

Someone said that Presidents and Ego's don't go well together.

I would suggest that they have worked beautifully at WOBBLE land unfortunately.

Rex has an ego, but at least it is underpinned in Yellow and Black like Eddies is black and white.

At the end of the day our success will be judged by our onfield performance not out boardroom etiquette unfortunatley.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Can anybody seriously see Rex Hunt sitting with the other knights of the round, oval, oblong, rectangular or whatever shaped table at Board meetings, etc. on a regular basis? To me, he just doesn't come across as someone who fits the bill of an executive.

He's good at the things he successful at because he loves doing that. I don't think he would get the same enjoyment from being Prez., because it's just not him.

Have him at the Club in some capacity, doing what he's good at, rather than have him in a role he's just not suited for.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Caroline WILSON, yes a smart person, but when did she ever play AFL football. If you ain't been there how can you ever understand the inside working of life in the AFL.

My apologies to some of the informed ladies who post on this forum, but unless you have been there and done that you will never fully understand what is required.

Rex has been there and done it.
Clinton CASEY hasn't.

Rex is a true Richmond Person
Clinton CASEY is not.

Rex is a very successful Business man
So is clinton CASEY

Rex has played in a Tiger Premiership
Clinton CASEY has never played AFL football.

I don't mean any disrespect to clinton CASEY here, but if you aint been there and done that how can you lead from the front.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
MC24 said:
Can anybody seriously see Rex Hunt sitting with the other knights of the round, oval, oblong, rectangular or whatever shaped table at Board meetings, etc. on a regular basis? To me, he just doesn't come across as someone who fits the bill of an executive.

Definitely can imagine that MC. I wouldn't even care if he showed up wearing waders to board meetings, I care more about what a person does than how they look.

I've seen Rex decked out in suit and tie behind the scenes of the Sunday footy show and he is very serious and in control.

Don't let a portrayed image deceive you.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
gustiger12 said:
Caroline WILSON, yes a smart person, but when did she ever play AFL football. If you ain't been there how can you ever understand the inside working of life in the AFL.

My apologies to some of the informed ladies who post on this forum, but unless you have been there and done that you will never fully understand what is required.

Rex has been there and done it.
Clinton CASEY hasn't.

Rex is a true Richmond Person
Clinton CASEY is not.

Rex is a very successful Business man
So is clinton CASEY

Rex has played in a Tiger Premiership
Clinton CASEY has never played AFL football.

I don't mean any disrespect to clinton CASEY here, but if you aint been there and done that how can you lead from the front.
neither did greame richmond,ian wilson,leon daphne,alan bond :eek:

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
gustiger12 said:

If you were talking about coaching I might agree Gus, but I definitely don't think lack of onfield experience should disclude a female from being on the board or possibly even president.
There are other attributes far more important that how good someone was at getting a kick.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne

I ask do you know her backround. If you cut her vein it would bleed yellow and black. Her father was on the board during our great era. She would have been blooded very well and also grew up with a good understqanding of how the club works internally. Something many of us would have no idea on. :D

Thanks for your perspective Al Bundy, but I agree.

If you haven't been there, done the hard yards, worked your a**e off time and time again, then it's difficult to understand what's going on in those boys' minds. I'm not saying someone that hasn't been there and done that can't be successful, that's already been proven wrong. But I DO think we need someone who full understands the boys' psychologically.

Can't agree more that we need someone that bleeds black and yellow though...

TS

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Captain Blood said:
Run that past again? Do you mean he's "just not suited" because you can't see him sitting at the table at board meetings. How can you tell us what he'd get enjoyment out of?

Because he has said, in the past and again on the weekend, that he wouldn't want to take on the role.

He has other things on his plate at the moment that he enjoys. I'm sure it's a hard decision for him to make. Go fishing or be Prez. of RFC?

As successful as he is, the man is an entertainer. He is successful because he is good at what he does, otherwise you could argue that he may not be the successful man he is.

gustiger12 said:

I appreciate what you say J2R, but where is it set in stone that unless you have been there and done that then you cannot be successful?

One man alone does not bring success, but everybody working together can.

P

PuntRoadRoar

to my displeasure the big man yibbidda yibbida said on his show yesterday that when questioned by sheedy about becoming Richmond's next president..he said no...it made my day so incomplete. Rex said that he is a humble fisherman trying to make a living and doesnt have what it takes to be our president...

i think he knows he could to it blind folded but doesnt want it just yet.......

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
J2R, I believe Graeme Richmond did play u/19's with Richmond in the 50's, but the less said about the Alan Bond era the better.
He couldn't evne pronounce the Captain's name right (Dale WINEMAN!)