Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland

IF Mansell can make this the standard then he has a spot in this team. Anything less then that showing and he goes back to VFL

but his intent doesn't waiver.

if footballers could control everything,

we'd have no need for mother-in-laws

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Like others has to maintain that level always room for a hard nut in your side.

Reactions: 1 user
he was all over Stewart in the 2nd half and got stuck into him.. and got in his head ..

no mean feat giving up a lot of height, bulk and experience.

Stewart got confused, assisted by the Boos

Reactions: 4 users
Mansell did a great job, but I think it’s also showing up that Stewart is a good player who was made look better by the side around him. And yes, despite his protests to the contrary, the booing did get into his head.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
he was all over Stewart in the 2nd half and got stuck into him.. and got in his head ..

I think the turning point for Stewart was the free kick. Rhyan simply outsmarted him and he lost the plot after that.

Reactions: 5 users
There were two frees in that contest one was for sheparding in a marking contest and the other for holding,

Mansell got the rub of the green and was awarded a free, Stewart could have been awarded a free for sheparding in a marking contest.

Given our free kick discrepancy over the last 6 seasons I'm glad Mansell was awarded the free.

Reactions: 8 users
Mansell dud a great job, but I think it’s also showing up that Stewart is a good player who was made look better by the side around him. And yes, despite his protests to the contrary, the booing did get into his head.
One player I think the booing spurred on was Milne. He usually played very well against Richmond and I wondered if the Tiger supporters had have kept quiet maybe he may not have played as well.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Against the Suns Cumberland's primary opponent- some no name- was near BOG. Against the Cats, Mansell's primary opponent (at least in the 2nd half) was Tom Stewart- a 17 time AA- he barely had an impact.
Have never defended Cumberland’s Sun’s game. And I acknowledge Mansell’s better game last night. Though being at the game I don’t think he actually played on Stewart for much of it - maybe a quartee

There were two frees in that contest one was for sheparding in a marking contest and the other for holding,

Mansell got the rub of the green and was awarded a free, Stewart could have been awarded a free for sheparding in a marking contest.

Given our free kick discrepancy over the last 6 seasons I'm glad Mansell was awarded the free.
There were no free kicks in that contest in my opinion. Mansell was entitled to hold his ground all day. Stewart leant on him - play on all day

Pretty sure you're still allowed to hold front position when you are one out in a marking contest, no shepherding at all. Spewart is a great footballer when he's allowed to play uncontested loose man intercept, he reads the incoming superbly. Make the bastard accountable by putting an honest blue collar on him and like most of these floating lurkers they struggle a bit when they have to play honest footy.

• Love
There were no free kicks in that contest in my opinion. Mansell was entitled to hold his ground all day. Stewart leant on him - play on all day
Any other match, especially without Richmond so we fans can watch it without bias, we will hear the commentators discuss it on replay
"Thats the free there, the moment he puts both arms around him."
(This bits often Richo) "the umps are looking for that. Once they see both arms around the player they blow the whistle"

Every time. 2 arms around the waist is a holding free kick.
Mansell did pin one of stewarts arms in. The other arm was all Stewarts doing.

You may think it shouldnt be a free. You may think its soft. But AFL players know its a free. The Pauper knew what he was doing

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Pretty sure you're still allowed to hold front position when you are one out in a marking contest, no shepherding at all. Spewart is a great footballer when he's allowed to play uncontested loose man intercept, he reads the incoming superbly. Make the bastard accountable by putting an honest blue collar on him and like most of these floating lurkers they struggle a bit when they have to play honest footy.
Yeah big All Australian Tom Spewie struggled when someone stood next to him

Reactions: 2 users
Won’t be in our next Premiership forward line. Is a junkyard dog and I admire him but…

Disposals per qtr - 1,5,1,2
One goal was a total charity.

Wasn’t invisible tonight so played a ‘great game’, the ‘benchmark.’
I know people are excited but come on.
Cumbo could only dream of being measured like this..

You have been uber critical of Rhyan, but leysy thinks you are quite naive to what the coaching staff expect from the small forward role at our club.

It is a devlishly difficult position to fill. You only need to look at the churn rate to know this - Rioli, George, Butler, Higgins etc etc.

Interesting interview with Rhyan this year when asked what was the hardest thing about moving from defence to attack.

His replied, (almost still in surprise) that easily it is when we have the ball you are told to lead where the ball isn't going (to take your man away from the targets) and equally when we don't have the ball to move where the ball isn't i.e. cover the fat side of the ground to prevent a switch.

It's a thankless role (outside the 4 walls of the club) that minions have no appreciation for.

And why possession stats like you bring up have no real relevance to what the role is being asked of.

Now whether that should be the instruction is a different question. But that aint the players fault.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users

Stewart was on 80 super coach points at half time. He ended up with 115. Great for Mansell and RFC not so great for my supercoach as I had the VC on him.

You have been uber critical of Rhyan, but leysy thinks you are quite naive to what the coaching staff expect from the small forward role at our club.

It is a devlishly difficult position to fill. You only need to look at the churn rate to know this - Rioli, George, Butler, Higgins etc etc.

Interesting interview with Rhyan this year when asked what was the hardest thing about moving from defence to attack.

His replied, (almost still in surprise) that easily it is when we have the ball you are told to lead where the ball isn't going (to take your man away from the targets) and equally when we don't have the ball to move where the ball isn't i.e. cover the fat side of the ground to prevent a switch.

It's a thankless role (outside the 4 walls of the club) that minions have no appreciation for.

And why possession stats like you bring up have no real relevance to what the role is being asked of.

Now whether that should be the instruction is a different question. But that aint the players fault.
Oh the old decoy..!
Good post and I get all that about the role. I am happy to throw stats out the window if everybody else does with other players..

I just think that role can and will be filled by somebody who is more athletic, talented and can be more dangerous.
I admire Mansell for all his positive traits - I just think he will get passed over.
Even playing that role, there are opportunities to impact - a forward is still a forward. Otherwise any footballer could play that role
He may be handy for a while but…

Watching the replay back, Nigel was super impressive.
Certainly runs in straight lines.
Craves contact.
We've got a few in that category.
Mr Pickett.
Nankenstein
Wrecking Ball Baker
The Chimpah
FlossTone
AstonMartin

You get the feeling Beavis loves Nigel.

Any other match, especially without Richmond so we fans can watch it without bias, we will hear the commentators discuss it on replay
"Thats the free there, the moment he puts both arms around him."
(This bits often Richo) "the umps are looking for that. Once they see both arms around the player they blow the whistle"

Every time. 2 arms around the waist is a holding free kick.
Mansell did pin one of stewarts arms in. The other arm was all Stewarts doing.

You may think it shouldnt be a free. You may think its soft. But AFL players know its a free. The Pauper knew what he was doing
Don’t agree. Stewart’s arms rested above Mansell’s hips with no force at all, didn’t grab his jumper and didn’t retard him, as Mansell held his ground and blocked Stewart’s path to the ball, legally. The arms weren’t even ‘around’ his waist. Was just a good football contest.
Richo knew it wasn’t a free. Stewart knew he does that 100 times a season and doesn’t get pinged