Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland

I do not think he could have predicted the outcome of his bump when both were both going flat out for the ball with eyes on it yet the AFL in their wisdom were, unfairly in my opinion. just happy to throw the book at him . However, once a player is concussed the other protagonist is guaranteed to be considered guilty of rough play so a suspension would be inevitable. Not his biggest fan but feel sorry for him on this

Reactions: 1 users
3 weeks :mad:

Selwood and Dangerfield would've got off :mad:
Of course. A player like Mansell is expendable, no one really cares if he misses games outside of Tigers supporters. It won’t generate any radio talkback and be a passing mention on 360.
Danger, Cripps etc..are golden children of the AFL and will always get the benefit of the doubt.

I do not think he could have predicted the outcome of his bump when both were both going flat out for the ball with eyes on it yet the AFL in their wisdom were, unfairly in my opinion. just happy to throw the book at him . However, once a player is concussed the other protagonist is guaranteed to be considered guilty of rough play so a suspension would be inevitable. Not his biggest fan but feel sorry for him on this

If they were consistent with that philosophy fair enough, but they're not.

Its absolutely chooklotto that no one least of all the players have any idea of what they can expect from one game to the next, let alone from one round to the next.

Reactions: 1 user
AFL clearly don't want players going in hard anymore. Those days are gone now. Who's going to risk tackling or fighting for possession when the games gets willing ? The AFL are killing the goose that laid the golden egg. The things that have made the game unique, exciting and that take great courage and spirit have all be eroded.

They don't want contests, they want clean handball chains and lots of scoring. Mmm yummy all that revenue ! Plus we can't go scaring the pants off all those helicopter parents.

It's starting to make sense now the whole campaign to rub certain players (like Marlion being umpired) out of the game. The two weeks Marlion got last year for bumping a bloke over, shoulder to shoulder, a bloke who got straight up, wasn't tested for concussion and played out the game with no ill effects (who can say what the cumulative effects are from a whole footy career ?) was staggering at the time in light of other suspensions. There was no contact with the head. They didn't care, Marlion bumped him over hard and that was enough. Cue Mansell running too hard, too fast and the impact knocking the headband off. It was just TOO confronting ! Ooooh aaaaaah

(I'm sorry for Aish who was concussed but he did contribute to his own injury imo)

Here's the problem tho, compare those to the clearly premeditated hits by Kozzie and McAdam which were human missile launches (as was Degoeys although that got 4w) with intent to hurt and there's just no consistency. How can they be given the same penalty ??

Who'd be a player now ? Where is the line ? How do you play on the edge ? The edge is crumbling beneath your feet mate ! Coaches will have to stop encouraging hardness and toughness and concentrate purely on pretty skills. The great axiom of the game was to make the footy your object and go in hard.

BTW what happened to the severe reprimand ? Listen Rhyan, you went in bloody hard there mate and even though technically you didn't get him high, you need to watch your technique, yes you're allowed to protect yourself, but you did concuss the bloke and we are trying to protect the head. It's a bad look unfortunately. So you're getting a severe reprimand this time ok ? I don't want to see you back in front of the tribunal again this year ok ? Yes Mr Tribunal, point taken.

Taggers have been rubbed out. It looked ugly right ? We want midfielders like Merrett getting 40 possies a week running around by himself and hoisting the Midlow Medal at the end of the year after all. How's he going to do that if he has a tagger hanging off him all game !?! Tagging, not scragging that is. Clear difference.

The bump is being consigned to history (because even if you bump shoulder to shoulder as taught as a fundamental of the game) if they get hurt it's on you, even if you were going for the ball. Cotch would get 4 weeks today for his bump on Shiel. However, two players still need to be able to contest/fight for the ball physically or we are playing another game entirely. Of course you should be still able to bump. But if you get them high you wear the consequences. If you concussed them you wear the consequences. In isolation, Mansell had no intent to injure or hurt, no intention to even bump until he realised he needed to brace for impact. Aish entered the contest like he was picking up a loose ball out on the wing. He didn't brace for any impact and now, somehow the guy who did brace gets three weeks. Spectacularly inconsistent and laughably incompetent argument by the AFL counsel. Slow down before impact or tackle. In that situation ? Give it a rest.

The great irony of course is that flopping, diving, dropping your knees to draw head high contact, shrugging your shoulder to draw head high contact and throwing your head back like you've been shot by a sniper to win a free kick have all been and continue to be rewarded repeatedly in almost every game and are further encouraged with 50m penalties and free shots on goal, 20m out. Actively encouraged, through reward. Cheating. This is where we are. Can you believe it ?

It's interesting to note that there hasn't been a single player fined or even warned about staging this year. Yet in almost every game someone flops or dives or initiates head high contact and they're now trying to say it's a SKILL ! Cheating is a skill. FMD

The transition to netball/basketball AFLX is nearly complete. Thanks Gil. Thanks Christo. Thanks Scott Bros. And thanks to that little twat Hocking.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Bring on touch footy. Maybe they can put in an NCAA style direction arrow. Depending on which way the arrow points, that side may take the ball from the contest.
This game is *smile*.

Reactions: 4 users
Mansell paid the no-name price with the Richmond tax on top. Dan Butler got the 'oh, you're playing Richmond this week' discount.

Reactions: 5 users
The AFL thinks these players are playing the game in slow motion. They have lost all feel for the game and are entering dangerous territory in where they will take this game. It’s baffling.

Reactions: 6 users
The AFL thinks these players are playing the game in slow motion. They have lost all feel for the game and are entering dangerous territory in where they will take this game. It’s baffling.
Yep, the tribunal said Mansell intended to bump from 2m away. That's 0.2 of a second.

Reactions: 3 users
AFL wish to make it a non contact sport
Only way to stop it is for crowds to stay away

How long will play stop for while they while they tie the ribbons on again? What happens if the ribbon rips into two? Do you get a free if you find a ribbon lying on the turf and show it to the umpire?

I don’t think you have thought this through.
Thats fine, the AFL is very comfortable with introducing the rules at this level and adjusting as we go.
With any luck there will be an interpretation memo to allow velcro ribbons

So really what they're saying is the only way Mansell could have avoided suspension was to slow down, give up the 50/50 contest for the ball. Split second earlier Mansell wins the ball, Aish still gets his silly headband knocked off his head and it's all ok.

It really has become a joke. Every suspension now is for a bump or a tackle, the very skills that have made AFL footy what it is.
Unfortunately T-Love thats a fair and reasonable statement.
If Aish had his head down over the ball its expected that Mansell would slow down, not contact his head and not bump and attempt to tackle.

If Aish got to the ball first the very strong recommrndation is not bump but tackle.

The AFL expects and knows these elite players make split second decisions.
So a 0.2sec timeframe isnt abnormal. He could assess from 5m back if he would get there in time

The difference in this Instance is that Mansell miscalculated. He was later than Aish. But its such a fine line, extremely microscopically fine.
And suspensions dont allow for miscalculations that are in the spirit of footy

I want Mansell to attack the contest.
I loved the moment.

But the outcome is consistent with an AFL using signals to determine actions - 'Mansell shaped to bump' and 'his eyes deviated away from the ball'
(both reasonable footy actions imo)

Reactions: 2 users
The problem we have now is the Mansell v De Goey bumps. Both 3 weeks.

To me Mansell was closer to contesting the ball than De Goey was. Is 3 weeks for both fair? No way. Do what in the system is flawed?

Reading Glessons take on this is utter baloney. He says this> The vision shows that from a metre or two from the point of impact he turns and bumps Aish,” Gleeson said.

That is incorrect, the vision actually shows both players less than half a meter from the ball. Mansell is facing the ball but in this split second will turn to protect himself. Now, if he doesn't do this their heads will smash.

AFL also suggested that Mansell could have tackled Aish. Really? Aish doesn't even have the ball, if he attempts to tackle it will be called holding the man.

mansell.jpg

MANSELL BANNED FOR THREE WEEKS

Richmond forward Rhyan Mansell has been banned for three matches after the AFL Tribunal ruled he concussed Fremantle’s James Aish with a bump.

The Tigers had tried to argue that Mansell was bracing and “not driving through in a classic bumping motion”.

They also claimed his attack on the ball was legitimate and it was only the final bounce of the ball which determined who was going to take possession.

Mansell denied he could have slowed down or changed direction given the split second he had to make such a decision.

“If I had kept running straight on, I would’ve opened myself and both of us up to injury,” he said. “I don’t think I had any other option but to protect myself.”

The tribunal panel of Melbourne great David Neitz, former AFLW player Talia Radan and chairman Jeff Gleeson took 30 minutes to find Mansell guilty.

Gleeson said the tribunal was satisfied Mansell was in the act of bumping when he injured Aish.

“Although he approached the contest at speed, the vision shows that from a metre or two from the point of impact he turns and bumps Aish,” Gleeson said.

“This was not simply a reflexive or involuntary bumping into an opponent. It was a bump.

“This bump caused forceful contact to Aish’s head The question then arises as to whether Mansell was contesting the ball. We find that he was not.

“From a metre or two prior to the collision, he turned and bumped. His hands were not reaching for the ball.”

Mansell will be sidelined for a month given the Tigers have the bye following this weekend’s clash with St Kilda.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users