Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland

How the rule interpretation changes in a couple of seasons or so. Remember when Sydney Stack buried Viney into the the MGC turf and was lauded by the pundits as a great bump and no referral. Forward to Mansell who does a near identical bump with both players running to each other and the callers condemn him and he goes straight to the tribunal. Mind you, Aish did lose his hairband so someone has to pay

Reactions: 1 user
It’s going to get to the stage where contact will be banned players will have 2 ribbons one on either side of their body near their waist hanging off their shorts
Instead of tackling you snatch the ribbon hold it up and ump decides if it’s holding the ball
For gods sake don't give the rules committee any ideas!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
How the rule interpretation changes in a couple of seasons or so. Remember when Sydney Stack buried Viney into the the MGC turf and was lauded by the pundits as a great bump and no referral. Forward to Mansell who does a near identical bump with both players running to each other and the callers condemn him and he goes straight to the tribunal. Mind you, Aish did lose his hairband so someone has to pay
Yeah, the parameters of the perfect bump just keep getting reduced. Some Coaches have already stated they'd prefer their players not to bump. It will disappear from the game.

I can't believe that AFL player contracts don't acknowledge that:
  1. it is a contact sport and signatories waive entitlements for injuries that occur while playing and training
  2. with the amount of money in the sport there isn't competition-wide insurance policy and a slush fund for payments like the racing industry has for jockeys.

Reactions: 5 users
It looked to me that Nigel turned at the last minute so that he didn’t bump Aish but it seemed more of a block to protect the ball.

1. it is a contact sport and signatories waive entitlements for injuries that occur while playing and training
  2. with the amount of money in the sport there isn't competition-wide insurance policy and a slush fund for payments like the racing industry has for jockeys.
10000000%. If it is not in the contract then put it in and after every concussion clubs need to offer the player retirement. Player signs a legal document to acknowledge he has the choice to retire and not risk further concussion injuries. Put the onus back on the individual and personal responsibility.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you ever thought, that Christian might feel a bit trapped by the AFL policy, so he's kicking it up to the tribunal so he isn't the one making a call on this stuff?
I don't imagine a guy who played all this years ago, would be super excited about the direction this is taking. He could - if he wanted - manufacture a rating so it's out of his hands.
Then he shouldn’t be in the job if he hasn’t got the stones to do it properly. I don’t like to upset Gil so I’ll give it to someone else to do it.

Taking money under false pretences if that’s the case. Either way it’s time for Christian to go.

Then he shouldn’t be in the job if he hasn’t got the stones to do it properly. I don’t like to upset Gil so I’ll give it to someone else to do it.

Taking money under false pretences if that’s the case. Either way it’s time for Christian to go.
I want Christian to go as well, but I don't think anyone can do his job successfully right now. The AFL are in a shitshow re: head knocks.

I want Christian to go as well, but I don't think anyone can do his job successfully right now. The AFL are in a shitshow re: head knocks.
What is the NFL in America doing to combat this situation? Their whole game is predicated on collisions and they’re not suspended players left right and centre.

They must be doing something to protect the game from being sued out of existence by players suffering from those collisions. Are the players asked to sign a waiver saying they understand the risks and take full responsibility for any long term injuries as a result? If so, couldn’t the AFL do something similar?

No head contact with Stacky's bump, pruned Viney's ribs for him.

What is the NFL in America doing to combat this situation? Their whole game is predicated on collisions and they’re not suspended players left right and centre.

They must be doing something to protect the game from being sued out of existence by players suffering from those collisions. Are the players asked to sign a waiver saying they understand the risks and take full responsibility for any long term injuries as a result? If so, couldn’t the AFL do something similar?
No idea what they're doing. Don't really follow the NFL. I'd imagine our league is following them closely though.

Yeah, the parameters of the perfect bump just keep getting reduced. Some Coaches have already stated they'd prefer their players not to bump. It will disappear from the game.

Yes, but what are they supposed to do? Tackling is a minefield now too, unless the incompetent umpires call holding the ball or a ball up a lot quicker tackles will remain a minefield.

DS

I don’t know the answer but it maybe that the incidence of permanent injury arising from concussion is so great that insurers won’t take on the risk.

It’s going to get to the stage where contact will be banned players will have 2 ribbons one on either side of their body near their waist hanging off their shorts
Instead of tackling you snatch the ribbon hold it up and ump decides if it’s holding the ball
How long will play stop for while they while they tie the ribbons on again? What happens if the ribbon rips into two? Do you get a free if you find a ribbon lying on the turf and show it to the umpire?

I don’t think you have thought this through.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Yeah but his name isn't Patrick Dangerfield.

I also noticed that following the collision he immediately turned and tried to let the Fremantle people know that their player was in difficulty.
No one came to remonstrate with him.

Everyone knew it was an accident.

(No one could act that out. Ditto the Dangerfield dogact, who never looked at NV because he wasn’t at all surprised by what had occurred).
……

Just to add to the discussion on the Dangerfield dogact, I was watching the replay of that GF a few weeks ago and noticed that later in that first qr Dangerfield looked to have attempted a similar forearm bump on Titch Edwards head, but missed.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Whatley's love child Duckweed bumped Nigel in the head..............nothing to see, not even a ******* free kick !!!!

Great that the AFL is consistent with contact to the head :mad:

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users
We all know how works and has worked for years still, even in this climate of protecting the head…, blah blah blah.

If you are a name player you have a good chance to get off or nothing to see.

How Lynch got off still makes me question my above thinking as many in the media were coming hard for him, wanting 3 weeks.

Whatley's love child Duckweed bumped Nigel in the head..............nothing to see, not even a ******* free kick !!!!

Great that the AFL is consistent with contact to the head :mad:

i dont reckon Mansell should go, but the reality is incidents that happened last year, or previous, or not comparable because the interpretations keep changing, even if those changes are not always made clear.