Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland

I just don't see what Mansell consistently brings to the team. Cameos don't cut it for me and he is just a journeyman VFL player that fills a hole in AFL when needed. IMO, lucky to get a new contract. He is taking up a spot on the list when a more skilled player would be of better use
Plays his defensive forward role well and in latter games this year he hit the scoreboard to. Fulfils the role given to him. We have a number of options in Hugo’s wing/hb role available to us and he is probably the worst in that role.
Mansell had been signed for more than a month but the club hadn’t announced it. Hugo still unsigned.

Reactions: 3 users
Plays his defensive forward role well and in latter games this year he hit the scoreboard to. Fulfils the role given to him. We have a number of options in Hugo’s wing/hb role available to us and he is probably the worst in that role.
Mansell had been signed for more than a month but the club hadn’t announced it. Hugo still unsigned.
Who plays this role for Collingwood and Brisbane, out of interest? My point being, they need to be able to attack as well. I wonder if Bobby Hill has a version of this 'defensive' role? Castagna at his best was dynamic attacking as well as defensive. I think we need better than Mansell but I suppose the Club knows that, but for now we need him

Mansell at the club another year won't bite us ... Yze will find a way to use him

Reactions: 2 users
Hugo is 18 months younger. Size and speed count. And has a defined role. Speed kills in modern footy. We don't have it. Wouldn't be kicking out one of the few blokes who has it.

Mansell doesn't get it enough, 8 time a week at 180cm. It's just not enough. Doesn't have a role.

Agree. We need more speed not less. Mansell is average and can be covered by a kid. Doesn't provide any outstanding attributes.

Not sure Hugo will make it but I'd like to see the new coach utilise his speed and tank in a more effective manner. Perhaps the half forward role where imo the fastest and hardest runners should be played.

Million percent agree we need speed, been posting it for months, but just as much we also need guys that compete.

To go along with Hugo's lack of composure and skills, he chooses when he wants to go.

You can never ever say that about Mansell. If push comes to shove with one spot left (like it likely has here), you go with the guy with competitiveness.

He'll never place in a B&F but he was above VFL football late in the year. Still improving.

Agree though, we need to target footspeed with anyone we target that's not key position this off-season. Even moreso mid/forward.

Reactions: 7 users
Million percent agree we need speed, been posting it for months, but just as much we also need guys that compete.

To go along with Hugo's lack of composure and skills, he chooses when he wants to go.

You can never ever say that about Mansell. If push comes to shove with one spot left (like it likely has here), you go with the guy with competitiveness.

He'll never place in a B&F but he was above VFL football late in the year. Still improving.

Agree though, we need to target footspeed with anyone we target that's not key position this off-season. Even moreso mid/forward.
Classic Richmond battler type we’ve carried for far too long.

Incredibly brave, will go every time Mansell, doesn’t choose, one speed, flat out, in the top 5% for braveness and attack on the ball. But bottom 5% in getting the ball and doing smart things with it.

I admire him, I really do. Got everything out of himself. But we need to do better.

Reactions: 7 users
Classic Richmond battler type we’ve carried for far too long.

Incredibly brave, will go every time Mansell, doesn’t choose, one speed, flat out, in the top 5% for braveness and attack on the ball. But bottom 5% in getting the ball and doing smart things with it.

I admire him, I really do. Got everything out of himself. But we need to do better.

Can't disagree with any of that too much.

Except we are only talking whether he can do better than Hugo. Which he is his/can.

Reactions: 2 users
Putting on my brightsider hat for a moment- why not, its Oct, the GF is long forgotten, and what is the off season for if not hope- Mansell is a kid who didnt go through the elite pathways as a kid, focussing on other sports, he has neat skills, good speed, tackles and is hard. He showed late in the year he is a step above VFL level.
he stats this year were very skewed by being starting sub 5 times, and getting subbed off once. he played a role he hadnt played before with instructions to be very defensive. considering the game time he missed as sub, he stats were closer to 10 disposals and a goal/game.

while i wouldnt have lost any sleep if he was delisted, this years premiers, and our 3 premierships, showed that guys who sacrifice to play their role can play a big part in success.

Reactions: 8 users
There’s talk of Harmes coming as a possible tagger. Well we have a guy here who’d be an excellent prospect as a tagger.

Reactions: 1 user
There’s talk of Harmes coming as a possible tagger. Well we have a guy here who’d be an excellent prospect as a tagger.
Agree, I don't think Mansell is classy enough in any specific roll. Maybe as a tagger when needed in the team his toughness and iron will would be enough to get a game.

Does he have the tank to be a tagger?
IMO he’s a backman he has no xfactor or forwad craft to play in the forward line

Reactions: 1 users
Putting on my brightsider hat for a moment- why not, its Oct, the GF is long forgotten, and what is the off season for if not hope- Mansell is a kid who didnt go through the elite pathways as a kid, focussing on other sports, he has neat skills, good speed, tackles and is hard. He showed late in the year he is a step above VFL level.
he stats this year were very skewed by being starting sub 5 times, and getting subbed off once. he played a role he hadnt played before with instructions to be very defensive. considering the game time he missed as sub, he stats were closer to 10 disposals and a goal/game.

while i wouldnt have lost any sleep if he was delisted, this years premiers, and our 3 premierships, showed that guys who sacrifice to play their role can play a big part in success.

Interesting re: his possessions.

Was at Club80 this year and he was asked about what it's like playing forward.

Completely paraphrasing - but he said he's enjoying it, but still finds it weird being instructed to go where the ball isn't going. Then said so long as it gets him a game he'll keep doing it.

So essentially leading his opponent away from the play.

Gives an insight into why we have such a churn rate (and lack of impact) in the small forward position.

Reactions: 4 users
Of those 10 goals a few were for buckling the knees and rolling the shoulders, he received these in his earlier games but the umipres were wise to his tactics and didn't

many free in later games. If he can't win the ball in contest the his out put next year will drop.

Another who has limited talent being a little lucky in getting another year at the club. I know he tries hard but in my book that is no a substitute for skill and nous

Signed on for 2024.
Rather Mansell than Hugo.

Needs to find his place ................. unfortunately right now there just isn't one and other juniors are now ahead of him.

Limited by the position he can play but he's a grafter gotta give him that.

Prefer him on the list to Hugo because he has minerals and is hard at it. Doesn't shirk the issue.

Rather Mansell than Hugo.

Needs to find his place ................. unfortunately right now there just isn't one and other juniors are now ahead of him.

Limited by the position he can play but he's a grafter gotta give him that.

Prefer him on the list to Hugo because he has minerals and is hard at it. Doesn't shirk the issue.
It would be ideal if we were in the position to be able to get rid of both of them. They’re list cloggers.

i think the club have given Mansell and HRS another year to see what Yze can do with them

Who plays this role for Collingwood and Brisbane, out of interest? My point being, they need to be able to attack as well. I wonder if Bobby Hill has a version of this 'defensive' role? Castagna at his best was dynamic attacking as well as defensive. I think we need better than Mansell but I suppose the Club knows that, but for now we need him
Beau McCreery plays the role for Pies…