Richardson goneski | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richardson goneski

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
Will be interesting which coach path they choose.... could force clubs to make a rushed decision now based on multiple market forces/ jobs available

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
Always had the Saints as a second favorite team. But.
Please Saints you been through enough torment and agony do not give the job to Ratten or B Scott.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Well that's the worst kept secret .................

I like the modern trend how nobody seems to get the arse or get sacked any more, so the board doesnt look like the bad guys and the coach doesnt look incompetent.

Everyone is to blame but isn't and everyone's a good bloke.

Not a lot of leadership at the Saints when you have a real good look at them.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Ever been so many coach sackings during a season before?
Three down n I reckon Hinkley might b toast as well if Pordadalayde don't make finals. Plenty of opportunity for the resurrection and second coming of a few messiah coaches coming this year. Voss , Ratten, Scott would all be looking to throw the hat back into the ring. Poosy looking for a coaching mentor manager type role. Wonder if MnM, Sheeds or Wallet might be starting to get a bit toey about now.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
How does Ross Lyon escape the coaching carnage?

After Round 13, Fremantle were 7-5 and in sixth place.
Their next four games were against Melbourne, Carlton, West Coast and Hawthorn.

I reckon they would have been looking at those games and thinking 3-1 at least.
Even West Coast had just had a big loss to Sydney and were just one spot above them on 8-4, so maybe 4-0 was not out of the question.

They lost them all, 7-9, 13th, their season is shot.
Given those four opponents, that is as big a seasonal capitulation as you will ever see.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Ross Lyon took that club's soul when he left. The two years with Watters did unbelievable damage from a list management perspective. Richardson's problem was that the Saints rose too quickly (9th in 2016, 12 wins). The frenetic style was never going to be sustainable with Riewoldt/Montagna/Fisher/Dempster/Gilbert - last remnants of the Lyon era - about to retire., a dearth of good senior players in their prime, and list management still failing to produce the goods at the bottom end.

Ratten's an interesting one. Very similar and slightly superior record to Hardwick at the point he was sacked. Started in fairly similar circumstances and also lost his first nine games. Carlton were (briefly) premiership favourites in the year he was sacked, and that club, too, has never recovered.

While Ratten is very astute tactically, there were apparently problems with his relationship with the players towards the end. Grigg, in retirement, lauded both Pagan and Hardwick but avoided mention of Ratten. But until they get their drafting & trading right, nobody can help St.Kilda.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Ever been so many coach sackings during a season before?

Thompson/McCartney/McKenna/Sanderson in 2014. Although Thompson was only keeping Hird's seat warm, he wanted the job permanently.

We went more than 21 months between sackings - longest period since Denis Pagan to Terry Wallace (July 2007 - June 09), and that's if we don't count Leigh Matthews resigning at the end of 2008.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Always had the Saints as a second favorite team. But.
Please Saints you been through enough torment and agony do not give the job to Ratten or B Scott.

Maclure reckons Scott will be the Blues coach next year hence the talk from Judd that they dont want a coach who has training wheels on.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Given his record I really can't work out why anyone would take Scott.

Pity about Richardson but I think it is a good sign for StKilda that they are finishing his contract in the last year of the contract. When we were really bad we would sack coaches half way through a contract. They gave him the chance for 6 years and it didn't work out, time for StKilda to move on. They need more than just a coach: players, recruiters, facilities - they need to get their act together in so many ways. Such a pity they didn't win in 2010.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Maclure reckons Scott will be the Blues coach next year hence the talk from Judd that they dont want a coach who has training wheels on.
Scott was working on a deal with Carlton (or rather "his manager was" of course) before he left North. He wants their list and money as he thought he'd never get anywhere with North due to their lack of money. Carlton think he's a coach who can get the best out of their list (as he did with North in the Preliminary years).
Teague is stuffing things up though, as they (I read a bald headed football director - but my interpretation only) didn't think he'd be able to turn it around. They wanted a temporary caretaker, not a guy who might actually do a Paul Roos and win games as caretaker.
Scott supposedly isn't interested in the Saints, as he thinks they're just another North. Low supporter base, not enough money to invest in footy and their list is worse. He's all in for Carlton, or he'll take a year out to do some media. This is coming from an ex-Carlton player (played less than 10 games for them) so I'm backing it as a "reasonable" quality source.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Richardson doomed himself from day one by flogging off Big Boy McEvoy for early draft picks. Ruckmen of his stature do not fall out of trees each year do they ?. The move to " Carrum By The Bay " say no more.. OMG who made a quid out of that must be laughing all the way to bank. Word around Fitzroy Street is they are $11 Mil in the red. Sad part of this fiasco is they will get early draft picks so a young gun is going to *smile* himself when Sainters pick him in next draft.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Do hope Scott gets the Princess Park job as IMO a big step backwards for them.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Ross Lyon is probably the most overrated coach oit there

Reactions: 1 user