Richardson may ruck (HeraldSun) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richardson may ruck (HeraldSun)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Richardson may ruck
25 July 2003 AFL
By GEOFF POULTER

RICHMOND'S costly loss of Greg Stafford could mean more on-ball work for forward Matthew Richardson.

Stafford will miss one to two matches after damaging a hamstring at training on Wednesday.

He is one of five Tiger changes for the clash with the Bulldogs at Telstra Dome tomorrow night.

His loss has opened the way for those who have called for Richo to be used up the ground to get their way.

Against Collingwood last week Richo impressed after being moved into the centre square in the last quarter, collecting seven possessions and kicking a goal.

"He may have to do some ruckwork at some stage," football manager Greg Hutchison said last night. "He has done it before in the forward line, so at some stage he is going to have to.

"We have (Brad) Ottens, who would find it difficult to ruck one-out all day against (Luke) Darcy, and if they throw a (Daniel) Bandy at him, I imagine it would be pretty hard.

"Richo's going to have to do some work there. (Those calling for the move) might all get their wish."

Richmond has also lost Rory Hilton for about three weeks with broken ribs. But Hutchison said the returning Kane Johnson (hamstring) and Leon Cameron (knee) would not need fitness tests today.

"They are fine," he said.

The Tigers brought in veteran Duncan Kellaway, draftee Jay Schulz and first-gamer Marty McGrath, dropping Matthew Rogers, Chris Hyde and Marc Dragicevic.

"We thought it was an opportunity for McGrath and Schulz to play, given that their form had been fairly good in the VFL," Hutchison said.

"(They are) a couple of young boys that the future of the footy club may be based around."

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Some how the fortunes of our team seem to ride on the back of what kind of game Richo has. If he's on fire the rest of the team lifts, if he's having a shocker it's more than likely the team won't do too well either.

Maybe chucking Richo in the middle and letting him run and jump could turn the attitude of the team around.

Make footy a fun and enjoyable game again for a change.

Go Tiges.

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale
Might give Schulz & Mcgrath a chance to have a decent run around the forward line and show us what the've got

sean pean

No. 6
Jul 12, 2003
Frankston
www.groovejett.com
rosy3 said:
Some how the fortunes of our team seem to ride on the back of what kind of game Richo has. If he's on fire the rest of the team lifts, if he's having a shocker it's more than likely the team won't do too well either.

...hey rosy are you sure your real name isnt Caroline Wilson? She said as much on talking footy the other night ;D

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Richo gets payed the big bucks to kick goals not chase easy kicks in the ruck. Stick him in the goal square and let him sink or swim!

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
"He may have to do some ruckwork at some stage," football manager Greg Hutchison said last night. "He has done it before in the forward line, so at some stage he is going to have to.

"Richo's going to have to do some work there. (Those calling for the move) might all get their wish."

I guess I am one of those who have been wanting for ages now for Richo to be given spells in the middle whether that be in the ruck or even as a ruck rover (similar role to that of Hird's). The more versatile our players are the better off we will be as a team in the long run. Whether at 28 Richo can learn to do centre bounce ruckwork is altogether another question. At least it's an attempt by the coaching staff to try something different albeit when all is lost and more forced upon them with Stafford and Hall out rather than as a tactical move to offput the opposition.

As Is

Auuuuuuuuugggghhhh !
Jul 25, 2003
If he can't perform in the ruck/centre should trade him??
The guy gives his heart but that just isn't enough,I don't think he has the superstar quality that he was said to posess from day one and he obviously can't kick goals - what's left ? - Full back??????