Richmond man unpacked | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond man unpacked

rensman

interpreter to the stars...
May 6, 2004
North Eastern Victoria
Thought this would be a good off-season thread. Was wondering if we know what the definition of a Richmond Man is - what sort of things are crucial in defining a Richmond man?
Aside from enjoying discussion on this, it would also have the side benefit of giving me something to talk to my three sons about (aged 9-17) as I reckon it will be a cool excuse to talk about great personal characteristics without me lecturing them :cool:

Please help?....

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
selflessness approach to all aspects of playing for this club
team(mates) first

Reactions: 2 users

Wildcat

Tiger Superstar
Oct 25, 2012
I think it grew out of the "Sweep the Sheds" philosophy that Ivan Maric brought to the club from the All Blacks.

and been developed from that maybe and tailored around the Richmond FC.

Maric a few seasons ago was photographed cleaning up the rooms at then end of a game... and was asked later in an interview as to what he was doing.

Another example was when Jenkins from Adelaide was injured and in the break in play Tex threw some strapping tape on the ground. Not long after ...i think Broad cleaned it up off the field. Seemed to be just instinct when he did it.

Im sure there is way more to it but maybe thats a start??

James Kerr studied the All Blacks' culture in his book Legacy, What The All Blacks Can Teach Us About The Business Of Life - in which he talks about the team's cultural mantra of "Sweeping the Shed", a tradition that says that no individual is bigger than the team and its ancestors. Everyone is responsible for the smallest details - including cleaning out the locker room after training or a match. "Sweeping the shed" is your job, no matter who you are.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The phrase that's often used, one I really like, is that when no one cares who gets the credit, the team results are greater.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Off season, what off season, I am still immersed in this season.......now working through the different calls of the granny thanks to the pre thread, then I might watch the prelim again.

This season ain’t going anywhere yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I went into the changerooms at The MCG open day, and there was a sign about The Richmond Man.

It said.

I will Play To MY Strengths.

Show effort intensity and fight in all circumstances

See things in the positive and celebrate what we value as a team.

bit of a take on 'in any weather you will see us with a grin, risking head and shin etc .....' I reckon.

Reactions: 9 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I think it grew out of the "Sweep the Sheds" philosophy that Ivan Maric brought to the club from the All Blacks.

and been developed from that maybe and tailored around the Richmond FC.

Maric a few seasons ago was photographed cleaning up the rooms at then end of a game... and was asked later in an interview as to what he was doing.

Another example was when Jenkins from Adelaide was injured and in the break in play Tex threw some strapping tape on the ground. Not long after ...i think Broad cleaned it up off the field. Seemed to be just instinct when he did it.

Im sure there is way more to it but maybe thats a start??

James Kerr studied the All Blacks' culture in his book Legacy, What The All Blacks Can Teach Us About The Business Of Life - in which he talks about the team's cultural mantra of "Sweeping the Shed", a tradition that says that no individual is bigger than the team and its ancestors. Everyone is responsible for the smallest details - including cleaning out the locker room after training or a match. "Sweeping the shed" is your job, no matter who you are.
Respect your opponents. Broad again, first one to coniglio when he went down.
Celebrate together , example of Marlion Pickett !!
Enjoy and smile, the two grand final pics pre game in 17 and 19, look at the difference to our opponents!!

Reactions: 6 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Respect your opponents. Broad again, first one to coniglio when he went down.
Celebrate together , example of Marlion Pickett !!
Enjoy and smile, the two grand final pics pre game in 17 and 19, look at the difference to our opponents!!
I loved when after lions threw everything at us but the kitchen sink in 1qtr QF , cotch bought the lads in close and said ,,,,,smile boys , we then slipped into gear

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
I watched this on a plane recently.

Wow, what an insight into one of the greatest captains ever.

Wouldn't surprise me if Cotch had seen it and took a shot load from it.

Reactions: 1 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
There's something about Josh Caddy that makes him a typical tiger.

Reactions: 3 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Always flies the flag for his mates in a stoush and there is a fair degree of swag! I've seen him pounce on guys that throw their weight around against our champs. Dimma desperately wanted him in the finals this year with good reason.

Reactions: 1 users

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
A Richmond Man - "May not be the most talented but executes his role for the benefit of the team. He is willing to take chances and put his body on the line. He is allowed to be different and embrace his short comings. A Richmond Man is the highest expression of an imperfect self. "
Holy crap! This club has become "Zen-like". We play for the enjoyment of the game and for each other, with no other purpose than for each individual to fulfill their potential. Top it all off with a genuine love an care-fest between the players. Football Nirvana!

Reactions: 5 users

Puntrd64

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Supporters? There are two sorts of Richmond man, those who choose and those that are given no choice. Considering the 37 desperate years there are certainly a vast number of the latter. This gives us a certain supporter strength through tough times and now good

Reactions: 1 user

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
A non gender specific person who wastes 30 years of their prime years, defending the indefensible, bearing the brunt of pity and scorn in equal measure.... who finally opens their eyes, stretches, flexes their might and declares to the world that they are back!

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
A person who hears a(nother) Ninethmond joke and grins/grimaces but mentally chalks another line on the wall that they will smash when we are BACK

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
1550828074055_GRB2355GQ.1-1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users