Richmond president besieged (the australian) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond president besieged (the australian)

Dean3 said:
Rosy - serious question - what do you mean? What are we being kept in the dark about?

Well the club appears to be in turmoil Dean (I know that's a matter of interpretation) and we haven't received one official explanation.

Only weeks after an election 3 members of the board discovered they were too busy to keep going. I think the members should have been notified that the board they recently voted on was no longer in tact and given some explanation. Months on the board haven't been replaced and we haven't been told why.

A selection panel is being set up to select a coach for next season. Yet again a lot of members wouldn't be aware of that.

I read what's happening on the internet but there hasn't been much said on the RFC site. Not everyone has access to the net though. A lot of elderly people don't use it for instance.

I saw Clinton's interview on The Footy Show because I read on PRE he was going to be on it. I normally don't watch the program.

I've read on here about Clinton giving interviews on radio and in the paper.

Yet again that's a hit and miss way of getting the message across. If it's not 3LO up here for example we don't get it. If it's an interview in the paper how do we know what's fact and what's journalistic license?

I think Clinton gave the impresison our financial situation isn't as bad as it's been painted. If it's not surely all members could be told to save the concerns from the hearsay being flung around.

I think a letter of explanation could have been sent out to the members. You can read on websites how concerned some people are. If there's nothing to worry about our minds could have been put at ease a bit.

Our CEO has left the club and we haven't been informed.

A members forum would be wonderful to let supporters ask questions and get answers.

I might be a bit alone thinking members deserve to be kept informed to a degree, but I know in myself if we've got nothing to worry about a simple letter would make me feel a lot better.

seven said:
Beeny Gale would be a great guy to have on the board. He has to be one of the most switched on people to have played AFL.

It's a pity Benny didn't accept Clinton's invitation to join the board, if in fact it was offered.

DC8 had an idea on another thread about selecting people for their varying areas of expertise and Benny has a power of football experience, both through playing and the Players Association, to bring on board.

struggletown3121 said:
I am happy for Daphne to be involved at Board and Admin level again,as long as he stays out of the footballing and on field matters and leaves them to Miller and perhaps even Benny Gale.
Terrific business acumen has Leon,but footballing appointments aint his forte.

I was about to say the same thing......

Crazy John Ilhan can stick it......I dont want that publicity-seeking freak going anywhere near our club.

struggletown3121 said:
I am happy for Daphne to be involved at Board and Admin level again,as long as he stays out of the footballing and on field matters and leaves them to Miller and perhaps even Benny Gale.

See Strugs, the Dwarf has not let you down hahaha

jb03 said:
Harry said:
How about Crazy Ron ?

Harry, he's not crazy anymore, he's Mad Ron.

Heard he'll be changing his name again to disappointed Ron or half wit Ron.
Still, has a better ring to it then corn chips Casey.

rosy3 said:
Daphne, club president from 1994-99, had anticipated Macek would replace him as president in 2000 before Casey made the succession untenable. Daphne said last night: "Obviously, Welsh and Schwab are good friends of mine and, yes, we did talk about our worries about the club.

"I am a concerned supporter but I have no aspirations to take a position with the club."

Do we believe Leon is telling the whole truth here?

Macek was Daphne's annointed successor until Casey came along and wooed the members (those that voted, anyway) away. I wonder whether Leon will try to play kingmaker from behind the scenes or will make a play for a return to the board - and possibly the presidency.

rosy3 said:
...the club has sought a $4m redirection from the AFL. Casey still has a personal $1.6m guarantee with the ANZ bank, helping the club to trade.

Well, the redirection order is to secure the ANZ overdraft that Casey's personal guarantee is backing, so one will replace the other, but it wouldn't do for that fat, sweatly mongoloid to add facts to his story...

Actually, here's another thought.

I read in The Age this morning that Richmond are considering offering Leighton Wood a two-year contract in order to secure his services as CEO. Could Macek and Daphne be looking to short-ciruit this arrangement and could we see Macek as pres and Daphne as CEO some time in the future?

I'm sure Machiavelli was a Tigers supporter.

I think you should wait until you know who you're voting for. Voting blind for change's sake (or simply not voting) was how Casey came to power.

I hope the takeover happens before the end of the season before anymore appointments or decisions with contracts are made on many key position within the club. (Coach, supporting staff) as then they leave then next board with their hands tied unable to leaglly unravel the mess they leave behind.

CASEY HAS TO GO .... SEND HIM TO EFC
WHICH IS THE TEAM IS BARRACKS FOR

Only reason why Casey got in was because tiger fans blamed the current board for letting Northy go. Looking back, that was one big mistake.

seven said:
Only reason why Casey got in was because tiger fans blamed the current board for letting Northy go. Looking back, that was one big mistake.

Yeah at least then we had a club to support that was financial. Even if things werent 100% how we wanted them to be

The way we are going with the current management there we wont have a team to cheer in the future

WildTiger said:
struggletown3121 said:

See Strugs, the Dwarf has not let you down hahaha

Yep, agreed...

You and your old man owe me a return smack in the mouth
Dwarfy!!
My humblest apologies...............

rosy3 said:
Well the club appears to be in turmoil Dean (I know that's a matter of interpretation) and we haven't received one official explanation.

Only weeks after an election 3 members of the board discovered they were too busy to keep going. I think the members should have been notified that the board they recently voted on was no longer in tact and given some explanation.  Months on the board haven't been replaced and we haven't been told why.

A selection panel is being set up to select a coach for next season.  Yet again a lot of members wouldn't be aware of that.

I read what's happening on the internet but there hasn't been much said on the RFC site.  Not everyone has access to the net though.  A lot of elderly people don't use it for instance.

I saw Clinton's interview on The Footy Show because I read on PRE he was going to be on it.  I normally don't watch the program.

I've read on here about Clinton giving interviews on radio and in the paper.

Yet again that's a hit and miss way of getting the message across.  If it's not 3LO up here for example we don't get it. If it's an interview in the paper how do we know what's fact and what's journalistic license?

I think Clinton gave the impresison our financial situation isn't as bad as it's been painted.  If it's not surely all members could be told to save the concerns from the hearsay being flung around.

I think a letter of explanation could have been sent out to the members.  You can read on websites how concerned some people are.  If there's nothing to worry about our minds could have been put at ease a bit.

Our CEO has left the club and we haven't been informed.

A members forum would be wonderful to let supporters ask questions and get answers.

I might be a bit alone thinking members deserve to be kept informed to a degree, but I know in myself if we've got nothing to worry about a simple letter would make me feel a lot better.

seven said:
Beeny Gale would be a great guy to have on the board. He has to be one of the most switched on people to have played AFL.

It's a pity Benny didn't accept Clinton's invitation to join the board, if in fact it was offered.

DC8 had an idea on another thread about selecting people for their varying areas of expertise and Benny has a power of football experience, both through playing and the Players Association, to bring on board.

I think you make some good points rosy. Although I feel fairly well informed through the media, I think you're right — the members should be kept informed by letter of board level and executive changes, and changes in the financial outlook of the club. Just publishing things in a spin-doctored financial statement in an annual report won't be good enough if the turnaround against budget is as dramatic as has been reported.

Having said that, I certainly don't expect Casey to come out and say to the media or members that we are a basket case, that the board members and CEO are leaving because they don't support me or Danny or whatever. While we may want to know the "real" story, some things may be just too sensitive to be spilled across the public domain without damaging the club more than it already has been. Does that make sense? ;D

Casey offers Gale a position on the board. He refuses saying he is too busy. :eek:
Daphney and Co offer Gale a position on their ticket, suddenly he is has time. :eek:

I think there is something in that for everyone ;)

This is all very well, but is anyone else sceptical of Daphne, Schwab and co? I hope they are not considering taking up board positions, as they have all overseen some of the worst Tiger eras everywhere.

Daphne is credited with business nouse, but all he did was balance the books with us, he didn't grow the club in terms of revenue - our sponsorship and marketing under Daphne/Malone was dreadful. Recruiting was a disgrace and they were trigger happy when it came to coaches.

Are there any other Richmond people out there who might raise our club from the depths?

This is begining to sound like a Labour Party Branch meeting with factions everywhere.

Us members need to think clearly here and not make hasty judgements.

Have this new crew been undermining the structure of the club?

Where does Miller, Wood and the playing group sit in all of this?

What has caused us to lose the money we are suppossedly losing?

I think its time for some answers!

rosy3 said:
I didn't get the impression from the article that a takeover is a certainty yet, more that it's at a discussion over a cup of coffee stage.

Wish they'd wait and post facts rather than tease long suffering supporters for the sake of selling papers.
The article sounds like a big story invented around a few friends casual get together.