Richo boosts Tigers' options | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richo boosts Tigers' options

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
15 May 2003
Herald Sun
By MICHAEL GLEESON and BRUCE MATTHEWS

TIGERS forward Matthew Richardson will be a welcome target but not the sole one when he returns from injury against Melbourne at the MCG on Saturday night.

Assistant coach Darren Crocker said last night his players were instructed to choose what they considered to be the best option inside the forward half.

"Even when he (Richardson) actually has played, I don't feel as if we have used him as the focal point," Crocker said.

"We have encouraged our midfield to go to the best option in the best position.

"If that's 'Richo', go to him. If it's Andrew Krakouer, go to him. If it's Greg Stafford, go to him.

"That's what we have encouraged the midfield to do, and the forwards encouraged them that they are all an option."

Richardson and crumbing forward Adam Houlihan are set to boost the Tigers' scoring stocks after recovering from hamstring injuries to train strongly yesterday.

"We are confident he will be right. He has moved well through the week along with Adam Houlihan," Crocker said.

"It's not the hamstring he has injured in the past and had a history with. It's his other one, so he's pretty confident he will be OK."

Crocker said the Tigers would take an ultra-cautious approach and leave out captain Wayne Campbell again this round to allow more time for him to recover from a calf injury.

"We will go on the side of conservatism and give him another week," Crocker said.

The Tigers are heartened by the reinforcement that they can win without Richardson after Krakouer led the way with five goals to thump Essendon on Saturday.

"That has been the sign for all the wins, it has been a solid team effort. It will be an unlucky guy that goes out for Matty Richardson," Crocker said.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
"We have encouraged our midfield to go to the best option in the best position.

"If that's 'Richo', go to him. If it's Andrew Krakouer, go to him. If it's Greg Stafford, go to him.

"That's what we have encouraged the midfield to do, and the forwards encouraged them that they are all an option."

Amen to that!