Richo 'expected' to be right | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richo 'expected' to be right

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Richo a chance for Saints clash
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au
5:56:27 PM Wed 16 April, 2003

Matthew Richardson’s swollen face is slowly deflating, and the star Richmond forward is expected to return for his club’s round four match against St Kilda on Monday.

Richardson suffered a hairline fracture to his cheekbone during the Tigers’ round two match against the Western Bulldogs, and was forced to miss last weekend’s match against Fremantle.

Sporting a cap that helped conceal his enlarged right cheek, the Tiger hero trained with his teammates in a non-contact session on Wednesday afternoon.

Richmond football operations manager Greg Hutchison said he was “optimistic” Richardson would be fit to play on Monday, and said Richardson was feeling more comfortable with his ailment.

“He’s pretty good really. The swelling has gone down a real lot so it’s really positive. We’re optimistic that he’s going to play. We were pretty optimistic last week too, but we’re a lot more optimistic this week.”

“He’s feeling pretty good about it, so we’re just hopeful the swelling continues to go down.”

“The plate in it is as strong as it’s going to be, so that’s not an issue. It’s just that the swelling just does look a bit ugly. His swelling went down yesterday. It just looks like he’s got a bit of a golf ball on his cheek, so he’s pretty happy about how it’s all come down.”

Richardson has been completing light running sessions since having a plate inserted in face. He is yet to participate in full contact work.

“I don’t think he’s done that. We really haven’t had a main session yet, given that we played on Sunday,” Hutchison said.

The Tigers made a late decision not to play Richardson last weekend, but said he might have been a chance had he had another day to recover.

“It wouldn’t have been a great look for him to run out and play the game on Sunday. I think he would have scared most people off. There were only 19,000 there, but he might have scared most of them away.”

Richardson has contemplated wearing protective facial gear when he does return, but has told the club he would prefer not to.

“We discussed that with him last week and he wasn’t overly rapt about the idea and he’s happy not to play with one. The only reason he might wear one is just that cosmetically it might help with any facial swelling there is left,” Hutchison said.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Do those who went to the fans' training day think Richo will be right for the Saints match? The club saying words like 'optimistic' doesn't give the impression that he'll definitely play :-\.