Richo-focused Tigers lashed (realfooty) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richo-focused Tigers lashed (realfooty)

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Richo-focused Tigers lashed
By Lyall Johnson
June 19 2003

Richmond players have been told to show more courage and discipline and not kick the ball to Matthew Richardson simply because the Tiger spearhead has led to space.

According to football manager Greg Hutchison, many of Richardson's teammates too often pass the ball to Richardson despite him not being the preferred option.

Richardson attracted the ire of coach Danny Frawley against Carlton last Saturday for leading wide to the open pockets, which did not allow the side's crumbers to get into the game.

"I think Danny had some issues about him leading wide, and that's not necessarily anyone's fault. If the space is there, Richo is going to lead there because one of the strengths of his game is his running ability - he runs people into the ground," Hutchison said.

"But we have to have players with enough discipline and enough courage not to kick the ball there all the time, but to kick the ball to the preferred position. That takes a lot of courage when you see a man who's six foot five running flat-out and very, very assertive in the way he presents himself.

"Sometimes it is very hard to see anyone else out on the field when you've got the ball and you're under pressure. You just see this quick movement of a big player. But they need to have a bit of poise and a bit of composure and make the right decision with the footy when they get it."

This also required other forwards to do the team things and move to the correct positions, he said.

The Tigers are using the bye weekend to give a number of out-of-form players the chance to find some touch in the VFL with the Coburg Tigers.

Rory Hilton and Adam Houlihan requested to play in the VFL while David Rodan is believed to have been told he must drop down to show he can play a more disciplined game.

Hutchison said the VFL gave the players an opportunity to enjoy more game time.

"It's pretty hard to get a kick still wherever you play footy, so there is no guarantees that you go back and you get a lot of the ball," he said.

"But what you do is go back and have your opportunity to get more of the footy and play more. They know they are going to be out there all of the time; they are not going to be taken off."

Hutchison said Hilton, who has been maligned by Tiger fans this season, had been struggling this year but suggested it was not entirely his fault.

"It's been a bit hard for him. He's found it a little bit difficult to find the position that he'd prefer to play in and I'm not sure which position that is," Hutchison said.

"Initially it was half-back, but Mark Chaffey has been in good form and Chris Newman's been in form and so has Ty Zantuck, so it has been pretty hard to find a position for him in the back line because those guys have been in good form. And as a result we're trying to do things with him that haven't helped him."

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Seems Danny’s been reading the message board. ;)

It’s sad there’s a perception that Richmond is a better team without Richo playing.

Hopefully after a bit of a talk the team will utilize Richo’s talents to our advantage. He’s too good not to be out there.

I wonder how the big fella's career could have panned out if he'd played at a different club or had coaches willing to discipline him more.

Richo has constantly got away with things not considered acceptable in other players.

People quote his goal conversion rate as a positive. That still masks the fact that he continually misses bread and butter goals that should have his rate much higher.

It doesn't even take into consideration the many that have either gone out on the full, not made the distance, sprayed in the wrong direction or hit the man on the mark.

CHF's and FF's are paid big money to get those goals.

Dummy spits seem to be taken for granted rather than penalized the majority of the time.

It's not acceptable to give teammates a spray in the manner he does and is something that should have been stopped from the beginning.

He plays very undisciplined football. Glad to read his obsession for leading deep in the pockets isn’t in the team plan.

Someone commented this week that Richo’s lead that Rodan ignored was a wasted opportunity. That’s despite the fact the odds Richo scoring from where he led to were minimal and Rodan actually delivered the ball to Newman who goaled.

There seems to be an unreal perception by the players and fans that Richo is the saviour. I’m glad someone like Rodo has the guts to look for better options and hope some teammates follow suit.

I don’t deny Richo bleeds yellow and black like we do, and that his off field value to the club is immeasurable but I question how coaches have played Richo over the years.

It looks like a player who could have been an absolute superstar is always going to be remembered for the wrong reasons.

I can’t help but imagine what Richo could be if he’d been injury free and disciplined more earlier in his career…he would probably still miss the goals though. ;D

Glad you're one of us Richo. :)

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
OH MY!!!!!!!

Now rosy your not suggesting that richo has suffered from bad coaching are you?????

I just wont have that!!!! Our Danny has done a fine job with Richo!!!! He leaves him in the goal square all game to frustrate him as he doesnt get the ball!!!! Knows he is a confidence player and has a attitude that demands the ball go to him no matter what!!!!! Leaves him in the forward 50 so he leads to the pockets were our crumbers cant get the ball and if he does mark it, will have a very difficult shot at goals!!!!

To think all this can be avoided by simply playing the guy outside the 50!!!! Coming out of defence who doesnt want a bloke like richo leading to the wing or centre square!!!! he would run any opponent ragged outside the 50!!! He could be very Care like if given a go in the right possy!!!! Then we also dont have to worry about his goal kicking and players focusing on him when going into the 50 which usually results in a rebound as he is triple tagged!!!!

HOW SIMPLE BUT NOT FOR OUR DANNY!!!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I think you make a bit more sense with your Elmer accent Fud.

OH MY!!!!!!! Now wosy youw not suggesting that wicho has suffewed fwom bad coaching awe you????? I just wont have that!!!! Ouw Danny has done a fine job wif Wicho!!!! He weaves him in the goaw sqwawe aww game to fwustwate him as he doesnt get the baww!!!! Knows he is a confidence pwayew and has a attitude that demands the baww go to him no mattew what!!!!! Weaves him in the fowwawd 50 so he weads to the pockets wewe ouw cwumbews cant get the baww and if he does mawk it, wiww have a vewy difficuwt shot at goaws!!!! To think aww this can be avoided by simpwy pwaying the guy outside the 50!!!! Coming out of defence who doesnt want a bwoke wike wicho weading to the wing ow centwe sqwawe!!!! he wouwd wun any opponent wagged outside the 50!!! He couwd be vewy Cawe wike if given a go in the wight possy!!!! Den we awso dont have to wowwy about his goaw kicking and pwayews focusing on him when going into the 50 which usuawwy wesuwts in a webound as he is twipwe tagged!!!! HOW SIMPWE BUT NOT FOW OUW DANNY!!!

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
rosy3 said:
Someone commented this week that Richo’s lead that Rodan ignored was a wasted opportunity. That’s despite the fact the odds Richo scoring from where he led to were minimal and Rodan actually delivered the ball to Newman who goaled.
Ok - it was me who said that. I couldn't remember what happened afterwards so I take it all back. All I remember was the commentators saying it was a good lead and telling Richo to calm down. I do agree that the coaches should have curtailed Richo's bouts of temper way before now (who can we pin the blame on this one - Robert Walls?) And I think FUD brings up some valid points to. But I can't cope with the Elmer talk - too hard to read.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
julzqld said:
But I can't cope with the Elmer talk - too hard to read.

Doesn't surprise me Julz. ;)

It was meant to be a silly break from the same old same old crap thats taking over every thread.

I find a few posts hard to read at the moment too, so I decided to post something equally as ridiculous.

I didn't really think most peopel here would try to too hard read it, just like there are quite a few posts I'm not trying to make sense of myself lately.

I rest my case. ;D