Rio Olympics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rio Olympics

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Is it that we get so much sport now on tv ? Is it the drugs in sport ? Is it the fact there's so many non interest sports ?
Or is it just me that thinks the Olympics really seem to have lost there magic

Will watch bits of it and hope the Aussies can snare a few gold medals but not much excitement for me nowadays

I'm looking forward to watching the swimming. I also get sucked into anything Aussies are in. I can take it or leave it though. How much I see will largely depend on what time it's on telly here.

rosy3 said:
I'm looking forward to watching the swimming. I also get sucked into anything Aussies are in. I can take it or leave it though. How much I see will largely depend on what time it's on telly here.
I always like the 100 sprint, actually anything a legend like Bolt is in is great

It's been pretty low key. I am looking forward to seeing plenty of it once it starts. Not happy about the fact that 7 are trying to screen the whole thing and haven't given any off to Foxtel.

CC TIGER said:
Is it that we get so much sport now on tv ? Is it the drugs in sport ? Is it the fact there's so many non interest sports ?
Or is it just me that thinks the Olympics really seem to have lost there magic
Will watch bits of it and hope the Aussies can snare a few gold medals but not much excitement for me nowadays

A bit. Dunno, maybe because we're all too globally connected nowadays and don't get the real feel of what another country looks like.

Rio could be a disaster considering most stadiums aren't even finished yet.

The real fun of the Olympics is to guess who will get caught for PEDs first

don't much care for any of it since millionaire basketballers/tennis players/golfers became a part of it.
Wasn't / Isn't it supposed to be amateurs only? Boxing still is isn't it?

I can't wait.

Swimming and cycling because Aus does OK.

But track and field and esp the middle distance men's races. It is great to watch the Africans running 400m times in a 10k race that I was never capable of over 400m!

In addition, I have totally lost interest in footy

Olympic basketball is something I enjoy and will definitely watch the swimming too. Bolt is one of my favourite athletes, geez I hope he wins the 100 again.
I have zero interest in fringe sports like archery, shooting, badminton and table tennis (to name a few). No disrespect intended to people who participate or enjoy those pursuits !
Simply can't understand mainstream pro sports like golf and tennis being in the Olympics. I suppose basketball falls into that category but it seems to play out differently with international referees who actually enforce rules like travel and double dribble. Oh and I suddenly get interested in field hockey every 4 years for some reason.

As for the modern Olympic movement, they have problems. I have this pet theory (not very original I realize) that they should relocate to Greece for good. The construction of a permanent facility could be a welcome boost to the Greek economy and could help avoid the farcical situations we are already seeing in Rio. I have serious concern that the Rio Olympics will not be safe for the athletes and spectators. I hope I am wrong about this.

ooops one last mention, I like to watch the marathon. ah who am I kidding, I'll watch hours of the olympics !!!!

larabee said:
don't much care for any of it since millionaire basketballers/tennis players/golfers became a part of it.
Wasn't / Isn't it supposed to be amateurs only? Boxing still is isn't it?
Hasn't been 'amateur' for a long time. As far back as '84 Carl Lewis was offered a contract with an NFL team and he knocked it back saying that he made more out of athletics than he ever could playing NFL. The US basketball team used to be composed of mainly college players, then they lost the gold medal and threw a tantrum unless they were allowed to play their NBA players. I personally wouldn't have sports like tennis and golf in the Olympics. Players in those sports get plenty of coverage and they're more interested in winning their sports majors than the Olympics.

I like the 94 metre sprint - mens and womens.

Being Rio, there is a chance that might actually occur.

Drugs in sport have killed the Olympics for me. Cheats destroy the magic of elite performance and this leads to skepticism.

When Bolt breaks the 100m WR I don't believe he's clean even if he is. Sad.

Tigers of Old said:
Drugs in sport have killed the Olympics for me. Cheats destroy the magic of elite performance and this leads to skepticism.

Yeah, agree. Also by adding sports that don't need olympics, like tennis, golf, basketball etc makes it more commercial than anything these days. I'd also kick out any sport where the scores/winner are subjective, like the gymnastics, or even boxing for that matter.

Having travelled to Brazil for a few weeks holiday I'm not convinced the local authorities would be able to detect if terrorists had made it into the country.

Tigers of Old said:

That's always a concern, Oldie. I'd love for them to bring in lifetime bans for athletes caught drug cheating. It's a travesty that Gatlin is still allowed to compete when he's been done twice.

Personally love the Olympics and have taken time off work to watch.

Love the Athletics, Cycling, Equestrian Cross Country and Weightlifting the most.

Timezone for Athletics Finals should be great between 9am-12 each day and for those who like swimming 11am-1pm.

Can understand concerns re drugs and the soft approach that the IOC seems to be taking towards it.

Also cannot work out why Golf, Tennis and Soccer are not in, personally think Olympic Gold should be the ultimate in your sport and it cleary not in these 3 compared to Athletics etc.

I love the equestrian events. One of the few events I'm confident drugs don't play a big role in.

I love watching the Cubans box. I especially like it when they knock out an American. Not that I dont like American boxers, I do.

Something that really sh!ts me is how Australia ALWAYS hangs sh!t on the facilities of foreign olympics. The other night, they all checked into a hotel cause one of the taps was dripping. Then, one bloke got his laptop flogged, and theres a thievery epidemic.

I loved the mayor of Rio's response on one Team Australia whinge. He goes 'what do they want, kangaroos hopping down the corridors?'

Whingeing Poms? pfft.

rosy3 said:
I love the equestrian events. One of the few events I'm confident drugs don't play a big role in.

you kidding Rosy? Those hyphenated-named horsey types have been leading the way in debauchery for centuries. Their $1m steeds are all on beta blockers too. They make an old dish-licker trainer seem like Peter Singer.