Rio Olympics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rio Olympics

mk33 said:
Our chef de mission Kitty Chiller represent Australia in Sydney when first introduced for women. She was a world champ in 1980-90s but past her best by Sydney
I knew Chiller was a pentathlete, I didn't know she was a world champ, though. She was absolutely beside herself with Chloe's win.

rosy3 said:
Would he support perverts leering at photos of her and publicly discussing her shagability? Would he show photos of other women to her and tell her, and plenty of others listening, that he'd like to bang them? Would he like photos of his daughters discussed as though they exist for some stranger's sexual gratification? It seems it's not an ideal "role model of how to treat women" or the lessons went amiss somewhere along the way.
Something went amiss alright: your comprehension. But congrats on a post that manages to be inane, tedious, insulting and laughable all in one.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Watching Australia in the basketball was like watching Richmond. Umpires + choking = no cigar.

Actually, it wasn't. I didn't mind that last call, harsh as it was. The refs were consistent all game, all tournament really. They called absolutely everything. Mills knew he was going to foul. The Spanish player was looking to cannon into someone and Mills was back peddling as fast as he could to avoid the foul. Unfortunately, he didn't quite have defensive position and his arms were flopping around as he was off balance. It was a very harsh call but a fair one in the context of everything else that had happened.

What I like about Basketball is that the refs call everything they see. There are no judgment calls around what to call and what to ignore. They don't try to keep the play flowing, or swallow their whistle late in the game, or give the occasional benefit of the doubt, or choose which fouls to call and which to let go, or make a call on reputation, "Look, there's Selwood, I think I'll give him a free just to open the game up."

If it is there, in the ref's opinion, he just calls it. That's it. No bull dust extra level of complexity to add to the spectacle.

I watched that whole game last night and, at the end of it, I couldn't recall a single non-call that advantaged Spain.

When I watch the Tigers lose those close games, there is no end to the decisions and non-decisions that could have gone either way that had a massive influence on the result.

To me, that is the issue with the way AFL games are umpired. We can all live with umpiring mistakes, they are human, after all. A little blind but human nonetheless. It is that extra element of letting some frees go, plucking the occasional one to open it up again, ignoring throws because they don't want to give 100 frees every game etc etc that leads to frustration.

Of course, none of the above applies to the NBA. That is just about letting the superstars show off. I'm still chuckling over De Andre whatshisname getting indignant at a travel call when he took at least three steps so he could set up a slam dunk and Andrew Gaze bemoaning that "that would never be called in the NBA."

I'm talking about real Basketball, like at the Olympics.

TOT70 said:
Of course, none of the above applies to the NBA. That is just about letting the superstars show off. I'm still chuckling over De Andre whatshisname getting indignant at a travel call when he took at least three steps so he could set up a slam dunk and Andrew Gaze bemoaning that "that would never be called in the NBA."

That sure was some bizarre commentary. Not sure how travel can be "technically there". He ran half the court on that play.

TOT70 said:
Actually, it wasn't. I didn't mind that last call, harsh as it was. The refs were consistent all game, all tournament really. They called absolutely everything. Mills knew he was going to foul. The Spanish player was looking to cannon into someone and Mills was back peddling as fast as he could to avoid the foul. Unfortunately, he didn't quite have defensive position and his arms were flopping around as he was off balance. It was a very harsh call but a fair one in the context of everything else that had happened.

Fair enough, I'm not a basketball person. Perception was based on the reactions of the commentators, players and coach.

Was wondering during the game whether there are international differences in rule interpretations, and how the players cope. Can remember watching the SANFL grand final a week after ours in 1980... it seemed almost like a different sport.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Fair enough, I'm not a basketball person. Perception was based on the reactions of the commentators, players and coach.

Was wondering during the game whether there are international differences in rule interpretations, and how the players cope. Can remember watching the SANFL grand final a week after ours in 1980... it seemed almost like a different sport.

It was a really harsh call, no doubt, mainly because it was so late in the game. I used to coach my kids' junior teams and I would always coach them to look for contact when they were driving towards the basket and the defender was moving with them. It is an instant foul and free throws every time.

As for international differences, it is mainly the NBA that has its "own" rules. Any thing goes when a slam dunk is in the offing. Sometimes NBA players look so lazy bringing the ball down the court that I wonder why they don't just play street-style and only use half the court. I much prefer what we saw at the Olympics. It is nowhere near as spectacular but it is a much purer version of the sport. The women's game is usually better too. Not so many players are tall enough to slam dunk so they end up constructing more genuine plays.

TOT70 said:
It was a really harsh call, no doubt, mainly because it was so late in the game. I used to coach my kids' junior teams and I would always coach them to look for contact when they were driving towards the basket and the defender was moving with them. It is an instant foul and free throws every time.

As for international differences, it is mainly the NBA that has its "own" rules. Any thing goes when a slam dunk is in the offing. Sometimes NBA players look so lazy bringing the ball down the court that I wonder why they don't just play street-style and only use half the court. I much prefer what we saw at the Olympics. It is nowhere near as spectacular but it is a much purer version of the sport. The women's game is usually better too. Not so many players are tall enough to slam dunk so they end up constructing more genuine plays.

Yeah. My American friend much prefer college basketball to the NBA as well. He's a big Tar Heels fan - reckons they play way too many games in the NBA, the rules are bastardised and the emphasis is more on bling and razzle dazzle... College ball is simpler, cleaner, more true to the spirit of the game.

spook said:
Something went amiss alright: your comprehension. But congrats on a post that manages to be inane, tedious, insulting and laughable all in one.

We're probably all guilty, you included, of posts that could be described that way. Fact is you didn't answer the questions. They were rhetorical anyway. I doubt anyone here, and the lack of comment supports it, would like their partner, relations, parents or friends discussed publicly as an object for someone's sexual fantasies. Your comments were pretty ordinary and I salute skybeau for highlighting that.

rosy3 said:
We're probably all guilty, you included, of posts that could be described that way. Fact is you didn't answer the questions. They were rhetorical anyway. I doubt anyone here, and the lack of comment supports it, would like their partner, relations, parents or friends discussed publicly as an object for someone's sexual fantasies. Your comments were pretty ordinary and I salute skybeau for highlighting that.
Well, I couldn't disagree more. There were plenty of posts supporting me, actually. I think you and skybeau are going out of your way to be offended. Not all women are victims, rosy. I find your Victorian puritanical views naive and completely ignorant of the FACT that humans, men and women, boys and girls, are sexual creatures and discuss each other's suitability as sexual partners all the time.

There were no sexual fantasies discussed, merely comment on attractiveness. I find your assertions to the contrary as offensive as they are idiotic.

Your questions were insulting, nasty, *smile* and I gave them all the attention they deserved.