Rising non star | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rising non star

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Ben Hobbs gets the nod this week.
Did the people who decided for him to get nominated this week watch the game.
He was nothing special. He was very poor. Many on PRO on Friday even commented 'we are lucky we didn't select him'
They hate us with a passion.
We beat Carlton on 3 footy shows, the only thing they mention, Bolton showing the ball to the Carlton player.

Reactions: 5 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Half the nominations are for the sake of nominating someone.

The bottom teams get their McDonalds encouragement awards with things like this.

He is a Tall defender they dont win awards.

Let the losers have the McDonalds award.

If our hopes come to fruition Gibbus in a perfect world for Tigers Fans gets a nice shiny Premiership Medal!!

Reactions: 7 users

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
It just goes to show how pathetic the media are in acknowledging defenders and the role they play in a team sport. It happens on all levels as they get seduced by stats, stats and more stats.

It's pretty clear that Gibcus will only be nominated as a last resort, because he doesn't have 'flashy' games that the media want to drool over. A kid could come in next week and play their first game, kick 3 goals and get nominated over Gibcus. It's their dumb process, but it also means he could very well not get nominated this season unless he puts in a blinder.

This award lost me at Rhys Palmer.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
I think the club is a little miffed as they have released a video package of his highlights

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
It just goes to show how pathetic the media are in acknowledging defenders and the role they play in a team sport. It happens on all levels as they get seduced by stats, stats and more stats.

It's pretty clear that Gibcus will only be nominated as a last resort, because he doesn't have 'flashy' games that the media want to drool over. A kid could come in next week and play their first game, kick 3 goals and get nominated over Gibcus. It's their dumb process, but it also means he could very well not get nominated this season unless he puts in a blinder.

Its a really dumb process. Its biased as well as structurally flawed, a double whammy of dumb. If body of work is a thing, then why Hobbs? As Zipps said his early form hasn't been elite for a first year player, unlike Gibcus, and he wasn't that great last round in any case. What if Josh gets an injury before seasons end (I'm touching wood right now), and doesn't get nominated? Farce, a joke on multiple levels, assessment, bias, structure.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014

Agree with your's and others' comments on the neglect of top defenders and their role. But with Balta out and Tarrant doubtful, good chance Miller or even Biggy might be called upon*. This would be the perfect chance to try Gibcus forward for the full game.
He might just surprise some AFL/media nuff-nuffs so he cannot be ignored. Here's hoping that happens (although very worried about who will take Tomahawk if this happens*).

Reactions: 1 user

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
Half the nominations are for the sake of nominating someone.

The bottom teams get their McDonalds encouragement awards with things like this.

He is a Tall defender they dont win awards.

Let the losers have the McDonalds award.

If our hopes come to fruition Gibbus in a perfect world for Tigers Fans gets a nice shiny Premiership Medal!!
Your reference to McDonalds awards and losers is quite hurtful Craig!
Back in the mid 70s after a game I was awarded a best on ground “prize”........a Big Mac voucher............I’d never heard of them until then!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Maybe if Josh increased his profile a bit by posting a few TikTok's rating girls he might get noticed and then a nomination

Last edited:

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Maybe if Josh increased his profile a bit by posting a few Tic Toc's rating girls he might get noticed and then a nomination
Perhaps a less controversial initiative might be for Josh to dye his hair pink, green or dare I say it, blonde!

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Perhaps a less controversial initiative might be for Josh to dye his hair pink, green or dare I say it, blonde!
Yep and make sure he drops at his knees and throws his head back every time he is tackled. The selectors like that sort of play.

Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Your reference to McDonalds awards and losers is quite hurtful Craig!
Back in the mid 70s after a game I was awarded a best on ground “prize”........a Big Mac voucher............I’d never heard of them until then!
Mate I got plenty of em too :))

In Junior Footy The Maccas award was for BOG and had serious prestige!!

• Haha

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Forget the Rising Star. It’s a crap award. Never forget that Lewis Taylor won it.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Forget the Rising Star. It’s a crap award. Never forget that Lewis Taylor won it.
and Andy McGrath and Jaiyden Stephenson. The latter struggles to get a game in the worst team since Fitzroy in 1996 and Andy's club is looking to off load him at the end of the year.

Its a *smile* award with no credibility when you have campaigners like Sheehan and Johnson in charge of it.

Reactions: 6 users