Rookie list disgrace | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rookie list disgrace

Hungry

Bring back the Tiger mongrel
Mar 18, 2003
I'm sorry to dredge up yet another negative topic, but it has to be said that our use of the rookie list is disgraceful.

Surely the RFC haven't taken it seriously. Look at Essendon, they are smart enough to know that it lets you secure more potential talent on top of the draft!

In the time that Essendon have promoted Mark Johnson, Dean Rioli, Gary Moorecroft and Damian Peverill (any of those would walk into a Tiger guernsey), we have had only one of any note: Greg Tivendale.

But considering our recruiters pass on low draft picks because they don't KNOW who is available (an aberration for which they have no excuse), then it's highly unlikely they would know anything about the rookies, and it shows.

Matt Shir couldn't be as bad as some on our list, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's promoted over the off-season to boost our 'foot soldiers'. Hopefully he's a player.

Because for too long we've had to put up with players like Vardy, Hollands and Ednie, who are either not up to it or built like schoolboys.

I hope they wake up and realise what an opportunity the rookie list gives us - take the full quota of rookies!

BTW - anyone notice Ben Haynes is now on Essendon's senior list? We promoted him in 2001, let him play a couple of games, gave him about 10 minutes of game time then cut him at the end of the year, meanwhile keeping King, Ednie and recruiting Houlihan! Aaarrrggghhh!

Sorry for the long post, folks.

Perhaps it is something Greg Miller could look at utilising a bit more in future.

Maybe we have jsut had the wrong players as rookies although i did like Ednie and DePasquale last year.

Agree Hungry, but isn't it as a result of financial constraints rather than neglect? I'm sure if we had more room in the TPP we'd be promoting rookies.

Hopefully the list clean-out will free up this situation too over the next couple of seasons.

TPP hasn't stopped us promoting rookies, it's mainly that the rookies on our list haven't been any good, with the one notable exception.

For example, Vardy's been on our senior list for four seasons now, for a microscopic return.

Everyone likes Ednie, but he's built like balsa wood. Hollands wasn't much better, and I think lacked pace.

While we've been talking up players like Ednie, the Bombers coolly bring up a Rioli. No comparison. Hands up who wouldn't want a 'fringe' player like Rioli, Johnson or Peverill?

Dean3 said:
Agree Hungry, but isn't it as a result of financial constraints rather than neglect? I'm sure if we had more room in the TPP we'd be promoting rookies.

Yes and no Dean.

1) I am pretty sure that if you promote a rookie their payments don't go into the TPP.

2) The board sets the % of the TPP the Footy Department is allowed to pay. FOr season 2003 it is 97%. With the contraints of the contracts that everyone knows about we are at that leveln hence why we are short on our list.

3) The plan was to promote 2 of our rookies during the course of the season if their performances warranted it.

Our rookies:
Kelvin Moore is only 17 (may have turned 18) and is completing his VCE. I don't thinkthere was any intention to play him in the seniors this year. Now - he has a very mild case of OP - this being the reason he hasn't been playing for Coburg. I think he is a long term prospect with a good chance of being promoted for season 2004 when we have room to move in the TPP

Adam Pickering - was a chance of being promoted if he deserved it. He missed the first half of the season due to hamstring problems. And his form at Coburg since coming back from injury has been patchy at best. Personally not a fan - just looks so slow. And I will admit he doens't endear himself to me with his "performances" on TigerTV

Matt Shir - personal bias aside ;). Trained the place down during pre-season. Have absolutely no idea why he wasn't drafted as a senior list player but I digrese :) Developed OP in January and therefore didn't play any of the Wizzee Cup games. Played a couple of practice games for Coburg before the season and then suffered a really nasty thigh injury - similar to Blumfield though not as severe. Came back from that and them suffered another thigh strain. Has played I think the last 3 or 4 games with Coburg and been one of the best.

I have said many times why I think he should be on the senior list - and coming from a club (Adel) whose culture has professionalism as one of its cornerstone - he has lot ot offer. Another reason being he really wants to play for Richmond.

I am hopefull that he will be promoted to the senior list for 2004 after a few others are delisted.

MATT SHIR FOR THE SENIOR LIST IN 2004

;D ;) ;D ;) ;D Enough said I reckon ;)

Koalalill said:
Dean3 said:

Yes and no Dean.

1) I am pretty sure that if you promote a rookie their payments don't go into the TPP.

2) The board sets the % of the TPP the Footy Department is allowed to pay. FOr season 2003 it is 97%. With the contraints of the contracts that everyone knows about we are at that leveln hence why we are short on our list.

3) The plan was to promote 2 of our rookies during the course of the season if their performances warranted it.

Our rookies:
Kelvin Moore is only 17 (may have turned 18) and is completing his VCE. I don't thinkthere was any intention to play him in the seniors this year. Now - he has a very mild case of OP - this being the reason he hasn't been playing for Coburg. I think he is a long term prospect with a good chance of being promoted for season 2004 when we have room to move in the TPP

Adam Pickering - was a chance of being promoted if he deserved it. He missed the first half of the season due to hamstring problems. And his form at Coburg since coming back from injury has been patchy at best. Personally not a fan - just looks so slow. And I will admit he doens't endear himself to me with his "performances" on TigerTV

Matt Shir - personal bias aside ;). Trained the place down during pre-season. Have absolutely no idea why he wasn't drafted as a senior list player but I digrese :) Developed OP in January and therefore didn't play any of the Wizzee Cup games. Played a couple of practice games for Coburg before the season and then suffered a really nasty thigh injury - similar to Blumfield though not as severe. Came back from that and them suffered another thigh strain. Has played I think the last 3 or 4 games with Coburg and been one of the best.

I have said many times why I think he should be on the senior list - and coming from a club (Adel) whose culture has professionalism as one of its cornerstone - he has lot ot offer. Another reason being he really wants to play for Richmond.

I am hopefull that he will be promoted to the senior list for 2004 after a few others are delisted.

MATT SHIR FOR THE SENIOR LIST IN 2004

;D ;) ;D ;) ;D Enough said I reckon ;)

Sorry guys & girls, wrong button :)

Thanks KL, that's the first time I've heard that promoted rookie payments aren't included in TPP. I had assumed otherwise. Learn something new every day on this site !

Hmmm...KL, my understanding was that 50% of match payments had to be included in the TPP, as per a veteran. Would stand corrected though!

I'm pretty sure Andy Kellaway came from the rookie list. So I think AK and Tiva are two pretty good finds. I would actually take AK over any of the four Essendon players - in my opinion he is the best 3rd defender (if that makes sense) in the AFL. All-Australian, the No 1 Combined Rules player, prolific marker, courageous etc etc etc.

I would also take Tiva over Peverill or Moorcroft - and it's a toss-up with the other two.

As for Ben Haynes - you've GOT to be kidding!! He played several games for us and was a complete and utter hack. Just because the Bombers (who actually dumped him before we picked him up) select him doesn't mean he is automatically a good player.

I know what you're saying Hungry, but these factors need to be considered.

Captain Blood said:
Payments for players promoted on the long term injury list are expempt.

Payments for players permanantly promoted count towards the TPP, only for the proportion of games played not the whole season payments they have received..

CB - thank you for the Clarification.

The reason is exactly as Hungry said - Beck has had no idea of whats been out there. For all these years Beck has been doing jackshit yet the club is prepared to forgive him. Also Frawely wouldn't know how to utilise the talent if we had any on the rookie list. A lose lose situation with these 2 fools running the show - no wonder we are a complete rabble - yet the club is prepared to forgive in the name of stability.

Another thing - early this year I expressed my anger and concern when we drafted Nicholls and Fleming and said that it will set the club even further behind and should be another nail in the coffin of Frawely and Beck. Some posters came out and said - its early and don't judge these recruits before they have shown what they've got. Well, after seeing how pathetic these two are I am officially re-iterating my disgust. Frawely and Beck need to be held accountable, yet lets forgive them for the sake of stability - LMAO.

Good topic.

Our rookies, other than Tivva have all been true rejects who were never going to be AFL players.

Ednie was a nice little fella, but was a complete hack.

This is another area that we all hope Greg Miller will improve to the extent that some of our rookies are a chance of actually playing.

Makes me want to see a mid-season draft. Imagine if they were allowed to delist 2 players and pick up 2 more. The AFL Players Ass. would hate the idea - they seem to think that footballers are a sacred breed. I dont know of any job other than AFL footballer where you are guaranteed at least one years pay no matter how poorly you perform.

Keep the bastards on their toes - maybe a handfull of Tigers would have pulled their finger out if they thought they were a chance to be delisted mid season.