Who would u want to c recruited | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who would u want to c recruited

If we could get any of these uncontracted players for our first draft choice, who would you choose

• Nick Stevens

Votes: 32 97.0%
  • Nathan Brown

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Luke Power

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robert Murphy

• David Wirrapunda

• Keep the pick for the draft

• Total voters
Harry, your knowledge of talent is second to none. I also went for Power.

I don't subscribe to the theory of going for kids at all costs. If the right talent is availabe and they are sub 25-24 then by all means i think we should go for it. As Collingwood have shown, it only takes a couple of years to turn a team on its head and go from drop kicks to grand final contenders. With a 23 or 24 year old who is quality you are all but guaranteed 6 years at the minimum and that is plenty of time to flourish in IMO. I'd take any of the players listed before keeping the draft pick.

If I had to rank all the players up for recruit, I'd have them in this order:

1. Power - One of the smartest players going around. Will remain in the game even when his speed goes because he reads the play so well. More than competent in the forward line and in the midfield.

2. Brown - A bit of an "on his day" player, but very damaging and is capable of the mercurial. Versatility in playing in the middle and up forward also a bonus.

3. Stevens - A gun midfielder with lots of speed capable of big stats and accurate disposal. These type are always handy.

4. Murphy - Has heaps of potential and heaps of maturing to do. the fundamentals are there. Could be an elite player if he's able to increase his strength.

5. Wirrpunda - Last but definitely not least. This guy can cut sides up, but has a tendency to get injured quite a bit and goes missing on some days.

In a tough decision, I went for Murphy. Mainly due to the fact that he is (I think) the youngest of the players listed, but still looks to have the 'champion' about him.

His versatility seems better than the others listed also. ie, back, center and forward line seem all just as comfortable for him.

I would rate them in this order:

1. Murphy - as I stated above and the fact that he is virtually a baby himself, but also a ready made draft pick.

2. Stevens - One of the best midfielders going around, plays with the best, and is a position we need back up in.

3. Brown - As JF said, very damaging on his day and can play on the ball as well as up forward.

4. Power - a top class player but very short. Here's me hoping McGrath and Krakeour can be the Power of Richmond in the future.

5. Wirrupunda - coz he's black and we know what he can do.

Robert Murphy.
He is all class. Will continue to improve. Can play anywhere and will be one of the champions of the game. Silky-smooth. He's a rolls royce footballer. Has all the smarts and skills. Gun.

None of the above.
We need a bit of strength and height, a taller backline player. Feel sorry for Chaff , Ty and Andrew Kellaway giving away height every week.
Might free up either Chaff or Ty playing midfield next year.
Try the Draft I say. even though this years draft is thin by other year standards

I picked Nathan Brown a touch ahead of Luke Power. Either would be sensational to have but I think Nathan Brown is better able to create his own goals instead of relying on others to feed him goals.

As for Murphy, he will be a sensational player but I dont think he is the first priority position player we need. Need goal kickers not defenders.

If I have to pick one, it would be Power.

But are any of them under 21? If not, I'll pass. We've gotta start growing our own.

I went for Power because the key area we fall down in is clearances. We win plenty of the hitouts with Staff and Otto and that's where Power would come in. Our Backline has done pretty well this year (7th best defence so far I think). I would also look at Stevens for the same reason.

Question.
What have all these players got in common?

Answer
They were all drafted.

Lets get a decent recruiting manager and find the next Power, Murphy or Brown. All of these players are going to require a first round pick PLUS a player or another draft pick at least. How will that improve the depth or our list?

As it stands we have a very ordinary list and recruiting 1 or 2 players isn't going to fix that, only falsly raise supporter expectations only to have them dashed again. The club needs to take a LONG term approach and draft lots of kids over the next 3 years to form the new core of the team. If that means 1 or 2 years at or near the bottom then so be it because anything is better than the middle of the road crap we've all suffered over the last decade.

All of the above 5 would be a good pick up, but I suspect it will go like this:-

1. Redraft David Bourke after Kangas delist him,
2. Redraft Stephen Jurica from North Ballarat,
3. Draft Stephen Lawrence after the Saints give him the ass,
4. Redraft Biddiscombe after delisting him, due to a fantastic preseason,
5. Ditto Houlihan.

Oh God the shame.................... :'( :'( :'(

Depends a bit on age. I'd certainly prefer to trade for a proven player under 22 who fits our needs rather than draft another 18yo Kayne Pettifer.

It's about time we used our early picks to get players who do a bit more than just make up numbers a few years into their career.

I'm looking forward to big things both draft and trade wise.

P.S. Good poll Harry, you're learning. ;)

TigerFurious said:
Question.
What have all these players got in common?

Answer
They were all drafted.

Lets get a decent recruiting manager and find the next Power, Murphy or Brown. All of these players are going to require a first round pick PLUS a player or another draft pick at least. How will that improve the depth or our list?

As it stands we have a very ordinary list and recruiting 1 or 2 players isn't going to fix that, only falsly raise supporter expectations only to have them dashed again. The club needs to take a LONG term approach and draft lots of kids over the next 3 years to form the new core of the team. If that means 1 or 2 years at or near the bottom then so be it because anything is better than the middle of the road crap we've all suffered over the last decade.
Agree 100% TF the only way forward is kids kids & more kids.

TigerFurious said:
All of these players are going to require a first round pick PLUS a player or another draft pick at least. How will that improve the depth or our list?

TF - the poll was based on only trading the first pick. If it required another pick or a decent player to get any of them then I wouldn't go for it and keep the pick for the draft. The above players are relatively young. Agree with you TF that we MUST go for kids in the draft and we MUST trade for early picks. We need 2 first rounders and hopefully 2 second round picks. Any of Bowden, Richo, Fiora, Hall, Holland and others should be used in an attempt to achieve this.

If we were to pick up Power, I would imagine that we would give them a quality player, our first round pick in exchange for there's. Much the same as we did with the crows on the Johnson, Torney deal.
We then picked up Schulz.
Actually I think that the crows then gave our pick to the Roos, in the Carey deal.

How would people feel if we were to swap Richo for Power? I'd definitely go for it. I reckon Brisbane would be up for it too, seeing that Lynch will probably give it away soon.

JohnF said:
How would people feel if we were to swap Richo for Power? I'd definitely go for it. I reckon Brisbane would be up for it too, seeing that Lynch will probably give it away soon.

Definately yes. We gain a young talented on-baller and lose some frustration and stomach ulcers - good deal.

Reasonable deal JohnF but it fails the depth test. We gain a solid midfielder but lose a 500+ goals forward.

I'd much rather see Richo traded for first and second round draft picks. This is the only way we will improve our depth.

TigerFurious said:
I'd much rather see Richo traded for first and second round draft picks. This is the only way we will improve our depth.

Not for one minute questioning your opinion here TF, but I don't quite understand. What's the difference in drafting and trading to improve our depth? I think I'm missing something.

Say for eg a 21yo player is available who fills our needs. Wouldn't getting him be a safer bet than an unknown factor a couple of years younger?

I seem stuck on the thought that trading our number last #9 pick for a young established player could have improved our depth rather than the way we used it.

Of course I realise it depends who is available and our ability to choose the right player either way we go about it.