Ross Lyon Sacked | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ross Lyon Sacked

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
You're on to it, Taz. Yes, Longmuir might be who they have in mind:
- long apprenticeship like Teague
- ex-Freo, team-mate of Bell
- at WCE recently
- many say the footy brains behind Pies resurrection (not Bucks!)

Agree on everything your saying.
But the last point cant possibly be true.
NO ONE at Collingwood has brains

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
For a so called "super" coach
His winning percentage is below 40%
Can't see why everyone is so caught up that he is quality coach.
Fremantle need someone with direction
He was all over the place.

Saladin

Better to fight for something than live for nothin
Oct 1, 2003
might give it away..by all reports didn't see it coming...the CEO roscih got the lemonade and Sars as well...which is also interesting.
I think he may take a yr off and snipe from the media...roles at melbourne, GWS and Port up for grabs next yr...all have decent lists..

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Unfortunately for Ross, although he tried this year, it doesn't come naturally for him to put his arm around someone and give'em a cuddle and a ............

office Christmas parties excluded :eyes

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Why? Been at 2 clubs for zero flags. Most overrated coach playing the most boring style.
He got a team with Zac Dawson, Farren Ray, Clinton Jones, Andrew McQualter, Raph Clarke, Robert Eddy, and Brett Peake to within a toe poke and a bad bounce of back to back flags, against one of the great teams of all time and another that was only stopped from back to back by said great team.

Give him GWS' list and see how he goes. And watch Cogs and co. sign on. The Giants have to be ruthless. Cameron has failed. Lyon is head and shoulders the best coach available. I said in another thread the Giants are like West Coast waiting for Malthouse (boring style). Here he is. If they don't grab him they are grossly incompetent.

• Haha

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Their chairman has mentioned on a number of occasions throughout his presser..

"I believe we have the best supporters in the AFL"....... yep signed up in droves, all 51k of them!

Delusional in the extreme.... fish rots @the head!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
He got a team with Zac Dawson, Farren Ray, Clinton Jones, Andrew McQualter, Raph Clarke, Robert Eddy, and Brett Peake to within a toe poke and a bad bounce of back to back flags, against one of the great teams of all time and another that was only stopped from back to back by said great team.

Give him GWS' list and see how he goes. And watch Cogs and co. sign on. The Giants have to be ruthless. Cameron has failed. Lyon is head and shoulders the best coach available. I said in another thread the Giants are like West Coast waiting for Malthouse (boring style). Here he is. If they don't grab him they are grossly incompetent.
Yesterdays man. Wasn't even successful then. Outdated.

Interestingly Dimma is the second longest serving current coach.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Suspect Ross has run his race. Only three flags have been won by older coaches, and they were greats - Malthouse, Jeans and Hughes.

Close but no banana.

Last edited:

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Don’t like to wish bad on anyone, however I think it’s great for the AFL having both Brad Scott and Ross Lyon not in key roles .... a couple of smug pricks imho .

Reactions: 1 users

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
Managed to take two clubs with pretty good lists to the bottom of the ladder, no hope of getting another gig at AFL level

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Yesterdays man. Wasn't even successful then. Outdated.

Interestingly Dimma is the second longest serving current coach.
Yep, his coaching career high point was a decade ago.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I think Ross is a decent tactician for taking ordinary players to better than ordinary results.
I do however think he's like Terry Wallace. He will completely destroy a playing list to achieve his goals, and tends to want to build a list
to match a game plan not match a game plan to his players. Look at the list he left behind at St Kilda and Freo, look at the lists Wallace left behind at the Tigers and Footscray.

I think he's run his race, and agree that he comes across as arrogant. I think he's had his time, and given his personality isn't suited to the media. I can see him coaching at a secondary level in future.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Lyon destroyed the list at StKilda and has done the same with a fairly decent list at Freo.

Conspiracy going around Lyon to Essendrugs and Worsfold back to Freo.

Peter Sumich might be a smokie for the Freo Job.

He might come after Stackie down the track if he gets it

Wossy also might end up at Gee Whiz or one of the Adelaide clubs who knows.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Justin Longmuir I reckon

Good left field call Tazzymania, Longmuir is highly rated and a WA lad and former Docker also.

You might be onto something there.

Hes probably the brains behind the Pies, would be great if he leaves them it dims the pain of Blake leaving us for the Dons.

Peter Sumich is my other smokie for the gig.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
GWS should have already made the call, bought him a ticket, and have a limo waiting at Sydney airport.
Yeh, he's perfect for them, add some defensive steel and nous to the group.