Ross Lyon Sacked | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ross Lyon Sacked

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
He got a team with Zac Dawson, Farren Ray, Clinton Jones, Andrew McQualter, Raph Clarke, Robert Eddy, and Brett Peake to within a toe poke and a bad bounce of back to back flags, against one of the great teams of all time and another that was only stopped from back to back by said great team.

Give him GWS' list and see how he goes. And watch Cogs and co. sign on. The Giants have to be ruthless. Cameron has failed. Lyon is head and shoulders the best coach available. I said in another thread the Giants are like West Coast waiting for Malthouse (boring style). Here he is. If they don't grab him they are grossly incompetent.
Spot on. Player for Player in that GF you'd have taken the Geelong guy in about 16-18 of 22 positions. How the Saints only lost 2 games (by 2 & 5 points) in the H&A season was remarkable. You forgot he also had Jason Blake, Michael Gardiner & Sam Gilbert. James Gwilt played 15 games that year. It proved system was/is king.

And look at the Freo side he got into a GF and Top 4 for 4 years? in a row. Basically he has sides with a couple of stars and complete C grade battlers at the pointy end multiple times. He's probably learnt a lot from his experience and would be better now than he has ever been.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Didn't think Freo were too awful this year. Played 3 of the top 8 twice, and managed to beat five finalists. After 13 rounds they were in 6th place; they lost Hogan early the next week and the wheels fell off.

They're tracking about average based on age. Not ahead of the clock, but not behind. He's done a credible job at rebuilding on the run since they hit the wall soon after winning the minor premiership with a 17-5 record.

The unluckiest of 2019's sacked coaches for mine.

Reactions: 2 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Not sure about Lyon - to get so close with a team of good top end talent, but this is a results based business and at the end of it all, he took teams to a few grannies but has never come away with the prize - look at Pyke at Adelaide.

I would be surprised to see him get another gig but there could be a few options floating around next year (GWS, Melbourne, Essendon, both Adelaide teams) so nothing surprises me now.

Lyon is smart and he knew his time was up so I am sure he has already tested the market.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Spot on. Player for Player in that GF you'd have taken the Geelong guy in about 16-18 of 22 positions. How the Saints only lost 2 games (by 2 & 5 points) in the H&A season was remarkable. You forgot he also had Jason Blake, Michael Gardiner & Sam Gilbert. James Gwilt played 15 games that year. It proved system was/is king.

And look at the Freo side he got into a GF and Top 4 for 4 years? in a row. Basically he has sides with a couple of stars and complete C grade battlers at the pointy end multiple times. He's probably learnt a lot from his experience and would be better now than he has ever been.

That’s fantastic. But both have the same pattern. Not good enough at the end of day. Collingwood blew them away in the replay and how many teams have hit the lead in a grand final with 7 minutes to go and still found a way not to win it.
Both teams (stkilda & Freo) were up for 2-3 years and then both have skydived down the ladder.
Average coach at best. Malthouse has him covered by the straight at Flemington

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
I don’t get the love for Ross.
Can’t see why a club would appoint him as a coach.
He has experience but that’s about it. The kind of coach Richmond would appoint a decade ago or two ago - one that was available.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
That’s fantastic. But both have the same pattern. Not good enough at the end of day. Collingwood blew them away in the replay and how many teams have hit the lead in a grand final with 7 minutes to go and still found a way not to win it.
Both teams (stkilda & Freo) were up for 2-3 years and then both have skydived down the ladder.
Average coach at best. Malthouse has him covered by the straight at Flemington
You're missing the point, zips. At GWS, he'd have what he's never had - talent to burn. No-brainer. Too old? He's only 52 ffs. If they're not ringing him, he should be ringing them.

Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I’m with Grant Thomas in the sacked podcast where he says we are ageist on our coaches. The person needs to have the passion to do it, but if they do, experience of dealing with different situations is worth a lot. Hard to tell from the outside why the st Kilda and Freo lists got screwed but definitely a pattern - is it the coach or a different issue? Grand finals with those teams also impressive.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
This ship wasn’t going down with its captain.

So with the bottom 7 clubs : 4 have changed their senior coach.

Stu Dew gets more time because he’s only had 40 games.

Simon Goodwin - 12 months ago made a prelim final. Hasn’t had the job long.

John Longmire - he’s got the runs on the board and everyone’s respect.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Perfect timing for Lyon.Fold the Suns.Get two players from each club and set up a Tassie team.Probably would cost the AFL less .

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Can see Ross getting a job as an assistant at a club but not senior job.
The role I believe that might best suited him is 'Opposition Team Analysis & Tactics'. Also with his experience provide great match day assistant with player movement.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
does anyone know the story behind Kerston & Lyon??

Yeah Kersten a dud. Would not get a game at Suns just like Corey Ellis.

Ross had a horrid year with no Lachie Neale for starters. Harley Bennell say no more. Also lost to many to long term injuries after Round 5.

Fyfe think wrong man for the skippers job.

David Mundy expect him to retire due to Ross dismissal.

Brad Hill will most probably go East. (Woman wants to go home dont blame her )

Langdon also but he must be the worst disposer of a ball ever & that includes Conca.

Future might win against Suns next year.

Freo have a very up to date training facility at Cockburn Central. Great but it aint at Fremantle where it should be.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Yeah Kersten a dud. Would not get a game at Suns just like Corey Ellis.

Ross had a horrid year with no Lachie Neale for starters. Harley Bennell say no more. Also lost to many to long term injuries after Round 5.

Fyfe think wrong man for the skippers job.

David Mundy expect him to retire due to Ross dismissal.

Brad Hill will most probably go East. (Woman wants to go home dont blame her )

Langdon also but he must be the worst disposer of a ball ever & that includes Conca.

Future might win against Suns next year.

Freo have a very up to date training facility at Cockburn Central. Great but it aint at Fremantle where it should be.

I asked what happened between Kerston & Lyon?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
He got a team with Zac Dawson, Farren Ray, Clinton Jones, Andrew McQualter, Raph Clarke, Robert Eddy, and Brett Peake to within a toe poke and a bad bounce of back to back flags, against one of the great teams of all time and another that was only stopped from back to back by said great team.

Give him GWS' list and see how he goes. And watch Cogs and co. sign on. The Giants have to be ruthless. Cameron has failed. Lyon is head and shoulders the best coach available. I said in another thread the Giants are like West Coast waiting for Malthouse (boring style). Here he is. If they don't grab him they are grossly incompetent.

Spot on. Slowly but surely the GWS talent is falling away need to capitalize. They need to move now. Great idea Spooky.