Roy Wright and other matters | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Roy Wright and other matters

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Before the day of computers had loomed, office workers had to use typewriters, and heavy devils they were. Roy Wright must have worked for a typewriter repair company, as one particular day he fronted at our counter in Lonsdale Street, and as true as I sit here typing this, he had one typewriter under each arm and one in each hand. Those old enough to relive those older days will know of the weight of these monstrosities, so to carry four at once is a feat expected of Samson. He was a gentle giant of a man, and boy, were his hands enormous or what.

We also had Bill Guinane working for our Company, and the office joke, true I think, was that Bill did not barrack for the Tigers, but only for Paddy. Bumped into Bill the other week, and reminded him of that fact.

When Roy was playing, I think most of the time, Ron Branton may have been the rover---could be wrong here--but whatever, we always seemed to have good rucks and rovers, but did not win too many games. Please don't say what else has changed!!!

Bit of a time gap here between Roy and Paddy, but what the hell, fun to look back some times.  :D  ;D  :p

Great stories graystar. Having a decent non-bagging post appear this week reminds me of an umpire bouncing the ball to break up a mellee. Leave them there arguing and just get on with things, ha.

I love reading about other people's experiences. Thanks heaps. :)

Hi Graystar, you're talking about my favourite ruckman when you mention Roy Wright.

Our present rucks could learn a lot from watching RW but, alas, that's not possible.

Billy Wilson was the player who roved mostly to Wright - and to Bill Morris - and I think he is largely overlooked when we consider that he roved to 3 Brownlow Medals. Ron Branton was just beginning as Wilson was coming to an end.

But Wright, ah, what a player. He is one who I reckon would go well in our modern game because he did things then that ruckmen weren't supposed to do.

Guinane wasn't any slouch, either.

Greystar,
Just found this post and thought I would add my 2 cents worth.When I was about 3 years of age my g/f cousin Charlie Callender, gave me Roy's jumper. Apparently I used to wear it to bed. Any way about 5 years ago I was on holiday in Paynesville and saw him sitting there larger than life in a small red civic, waiting for his misses as I waited for mine.
Any way went across and he kindly signed the kids footy and there after we started a correspondence with Roy generously sending on signed photoes for the kids.
An absolute gent..

Remember reading a story about the gentle giant. Regularly had his nose broken (on purpose) by oppostition ruckman but would never retaliate, kept his focus on the ball. He was a member of the old ABC2 TV footy panel with Harry Bietzel. What a great Tiger he was.