Royce Hart | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Royce Hart

Yeah. Happened just a few KMs from my house. Noticed traffic banked up past my front door the other day when it happened.

And the radio stations were telling people to stay out of the area as delays were going to be for quite some time, due to it being a crash of a very serious magnitude.

Often I travel that piece of road and am paranoid of that exact type of accident (someone crossing to the wrong side of the road). It’s a windy piece of unseparated road that was originally more of a country road. Carries a heavy volume of suburban traffic now. A volume that it wasn’t designed for.

Have a close friend that works pretty close to emergency services that had heard on the rumour mill late yesterday that it was Royce who was one of the occupants of the cars involved.

It all sounds pretty bad. Like there could be permanent injuries for several of the occupants of those vehicles.

Noooooo ! The greatest player of all time. Get Gale down there now ffs !!

I’m gonna need on the hour updates. Where’s the **** Valium !!

Reactions: 1 users
As KB says in this clip, "he is the greatest".

I remember one game against Carlton at Princes Park where we hit the front in the last (having trailed all day), then Royce took himself to the half back line and just kept marking and repelling every Carlton attack.

Check him out.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

I remember one game against Carlton at Princes Park where we hit the front in the last (having trailed all day), then Royce took himself to the half back line and just kept marking and repelling every Carlton attack.

Check him out.

Brilliant.

Reactions: 1 user
You always remember his marking, but his ground play was excellent and ahead of what many marking forwards would do in those days.

Just as an aside, that AFL Legend video above pans out from an aerial shot at the end, an aerial shot of parliament in Canberra - WTF?

DS

Reactions: 1 users
I think Royce attributed his ground skills to being quite small and playing as a rover in his early teens. Ended all of 6 1 ...barely a midfielder these days... But became one of the best marks of the era. Certainly was unique coming from the side so often. Hope this accident doesn't add to his log term health woes, he is someone whose body was wrecked by footy.

Reactions: 2 users
Get better soon Royce.
My favourite ever player!
Spine tingling to watch him.
Such sure hands, whether marking or clearing from ground and then following up with the ultimate sure kick. ( no George moments with Royce!).
I can’t remember him ever disappointing.

We all understood Tommy Hafey’s coaching strategy: “Just kick it to Royce!”

For me there was never a more beautiful footballer.
My hero through the late 60’s and 70’s!

Our thoughts are with you Royce!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I hope our club helps out and supports our former players in whatever capacity it can.
Wishing you a full and speedy recovery Royce

Still remember as a kid watching the ABC highlights on a Saturday night of a banged up Royce Hart ripping Melbourne apart on a wet and soggy MCG and turning Robbie Flower inside out on the Northern Stand wing, knee bandaged up, looking sore.

He’s the greatest.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Check him out.
I was there Quickdraw.

Superstar. What needs to be understood is that to us kids of that era Royce was what Dusty is to the young Tiger supporters today. We idolised him. In a team of great players he was the greatest.

Last edited:
  • Love
I was there Quickdraw.

Superstar. What needs to be understood is that to us kids of that era Royce was what Dusty is to the young Tiger supporters today. We idolised him. In a team of great players he was the greatest.
Spot on, Sin. Superstar.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
My favourite ever player!
Spine tingling to watch him.
Such sure hands, whether marking or clearing from ground and then following up with the ultimate sure kick. ( no George moments with Royce!).
I can’t remember him ever disappointing.

We all understood Tommy Hafey’s coaching strategy: “Just kick it to Royce!”

For me there was never a more beautiful footballer.
My hero through the late 60’s and 70’s!

Our thoughts are with you Royce!
Great sentiments happytige.
As kid I was besotted with Royce, he was a superstar.
He was so good when the balI was on the ground, a beautiful kick, and i just loved those marks that he used to take where he floated in from the side.
In 1967, after just turning 19, in his first year in the seniors, and having only played four games, he was picked to play state football for Victoria......he kicked 7 goals...........wow.
It was a tragedy that his career was cruelled by a bung knee, if only he had access to the expertise that todays player have.

Last edited:
  • Love
Royce Hart’s arm surgery a roaring success but the former Tiger faces slow recovery from ‘troublesome’ injuries (paywalled)

Richmond legend Royce Hart faces a “slow” recovery as he remains in the intensive care unit of the Royal Hobart Hospital after a serious head-on car crash on Sunday.

A four-times premiership Tiger and dual premiership captain, Hart, 73, has a broken arm, several broken ribs, sternum injuries and lacerations to his face following the two-car accident in Hobart.

The Tiger “Immortal” and AFL Team of the Century centre half-forward is not allowed visitors yet.

His older brother Lance said Royce’s recovery would take time.

“It’s going to be a slow process, from what I can gather,” Lance said.

“I spoke to Royce on the phone and he said he wasn’t feeling too good. He didn’t say a lot. He’s still pretty sore.

“They’ve repaired the broken arm and that has come up all right.

“The injuries aren’t life-threatening, but they are troublesome.”

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users