Ruck and midfield woes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ruck and midfield woes

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Clearly, it is in ruck and midfield where we have failed thus far.

Soldo has been terrible, clearly not recovered from his long term injury.

Nankervis has battled hard but gives away too many free kicks. Also, he gets regularly beaten in the ruck (disappointingly, so has Soldo).

Lambert in and out. Edwards faded. Cotchin faded. Prestia injury prone. The kids aren’t quite ready or just below par.

No in-depth analysis required.

Teams have been gaining momentum against us, and that almost always starts with clearance out of the middle.

You can’t just rely on turnover. You need some steel in the guts to stem the tide when it turns against you.

Our system is largely brilliant. But when we kick away from teams they all raise the fight and become ultra attacking through the middle.

We haven’t defended this in 2022 because our ruck and midfield is below par.

No excuses, no lamentations. Just the way it is.

The window in which we had every base seemingly covered was 2017-2020. We aren’t that team anymore.

Amazingly, and reassuringly, we can still make the finals. There’s still a flame of hope.

Reactions: 3 users

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
The last draft seemingly was about selecting the ‘best available players’; the next two drafts surely will need to be a midfield bonanza.

I have no idea what type of player Sonsie is going to be, but if he was going to help with heavy lifting in the midfield I would have thought he would have played at least one game this year in a team that doesn’t have a midfield.

The flame you’re referring to is the embers of a once great empire that has been overthrown.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Clearly, it is in ruck and midfield where we have failed thus far.

Soldo has been terrible, clearly not recovered from his long term injury.

Nankervis has battled hard but gives away too many free kicks. Also, he gets regularly beaten in the ruck (disappointingly, so has Soldo).

Lambert in and out. Edwards faded. Cotchin faded. Prestia injury prone. The kids aren’t quite ready or just below par.

No in-depth analysis required.

Teams have been gaining momentum against us, and that almost always starts with clearance out of the middle.

You can’t just rely on turnover. You need some steel in the guts to stem the tide when it turns against you.

Our system is largely brilliant. But when we kick away from teams they all raise the fight and become ultra attacking through the middle.

We haven’t defended this in 2022 because our ruck and midfield is below par.

No excuses, no lamentations. Just the way it is.

The window in which we had every base seemingly covered was 2017-2020. We aren’t that team anymore.

Amazingly, and reassuringly, we can still make the finals. There’s still a flame of hope.
Spot on. We have very few who are able to match it in the midfield with the other teams. Shai, Prestia, Martin, Cotchin, maybe Graham.

Problem is we need Shai everywhere. In fact we need two of him.

The others are becoming geriatrics. They can’t move.

Graham does well when his the third or fourth mid.

We have no quality in the reserves apart from Sonsie.

Baker needs to play full time mid. He can’t be wasted covering for undisciplined players like Vlastuin. Get Mansell to cover and play Baker where our biggest weakness is.

Forget about the draft this year. Go hard for a 24 year old ready made mid. Don’t care if we give up a first round pick.

Use whatever currency some of those geriatrics have and get back into the draft. Even it’s loading up on 2nd round picks.

We don’t have to bottom out. We can build a team around Shai, Baker, Rioli’s, Balta, Samson, Gibcus, Sonsie, Clarke etc.

See what we can get for Soldo. Long term Samson is the better prospect.

Time to get aggressive. We don’t need to bottom out. We just need to be smart and take out the emotions when judging our premiership heroes.

Reactions: 1 users

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
As bad as last night was - we are 7-3 in the last 10 and those 3 losses by a total loss of 11 points. Those losses have blown top4. Now it’s a matter of making it. Need to fall In and get everyone available for one last swing at it.This is the last hurrah.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerWinner

Tiger Rookie
Apr 21, 2022
We can still win the Flag. with all the troops in and fit. We just have to role the dice on Sonsie and maybe one other junior..Bauer maybe.
Think about this. If Sonsie is elite for one quarter then the 3 games we lost narrowly we win. He can be a goal kicking forward and a part time 2nd half mid.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Listening to Shorty's interview on SEN the other week just shows how weak our midfield really is. So bad that Dimma & co don't seem to care.

He said he'd love to play midfield as if he was given a gift. Same for Baker I reckon. Just try-outs.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The importance of Ruckmen is overrated for mine.

The Hawks didn't have great ruckman in their 3 peat, the Eagles won their most recent flag with out Nic Nac. The Dogs and us were the same, didn't have a champion ruckman.

Most of those premierships sides would've all lost the hit outs on GF day.

Midfielders are the most important, need to win the clearances, especially with the 666, it's something we need to address urgently.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Sonsie will be great but we need grunt as well. Touk Miller is the ideal one but no chance of getting him. For a quick fix and one i think could be gettable i'd go for SPP from Port. Strong aggressive mid that would allow the youngsters to develop as well as keep us in the mix. Agree we also need to be aggressive with our trades, delistings and retirements.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
The importance of Ruckmen is overrated for mine.

The Hawks didn't have great ruckman in their 3 peat, the Eagles won their most recent flag with out Nic Nac. The Dogs and us were the same, didn't have a champion ruckman.

Most of those premierships sides would've all lost the hit outs on GF day.

Midfielders are the most important, need to win the clearances, especially with the 666, it's something we need to address urgently.
I think the most important part of a ruckman is their around the ground work which is why Gawn is so bloody good! He actually can do both but gets around the ground as good as ive seen from a big man.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I think the most important part of a ruckman is their around the ground work which is why Gawn is so bloody good! He actually can do both but gets around the ground as good as ive seen from a big man.
Agree.

We don't win the 2020:cupgold without Nank's sterling last quarter in the preliminary final against Port.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Was always coming kids, and always in surprising ways. Our time in the bottom 4 is coming too.

• Wow

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Our midfield is paper thin.

It needs urgent attention. Tarranto will come in.

But let’s get aggressive and get Hopper as well. It might cost us a Short but do be it.

It’s our biggest issue right now.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

But let’s get aggressive and get Hopper as well. It might cost us a Short but do be it.

Yep. Aggressive is the word. Prestia and Dusty are just about finished and won't last the next 2 years fully now with these recurring injuries.

TimeToRoar

Tiger Superstar
Apr 13, 2014

If we bring these guys in, they better be able to fight for the ball as they won’t get first hands on it if our ruckman can’t tap to them

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria

I’d give up Short to get another decent midfielder. Until we address clearance & stoppage, we’ll be wasting our time.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

We somehow get Taranto and Hopper but lose Short? Where do I sign?