Runner's | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Runner's

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
With what ever pick we have left over this year.
We need to bring in kids that have endurance and Stamina.
Sydney's kids have proven they are all jockey size but they run like Gazelles.
Astbury was a huge loss a year ago and we saw our defence turn to *smile* this year..I'm worried now with Lambert & Edwards gone we will not have any endurance players in the side.

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Astbury was a huge loss a year ago and we saw our defence turn to *smile* this year..I'm worried now with Lambert & Edwards gone we will not have any endurance players in the side.
You want runners and then bemoan the loss of Astbury?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I've been indulging my footy nerd this week by having a closer look at our season and list list this week and I have to say I'm becoming less and less confident about our prospects in the short term.

Damien Barrett copped a bit the other day for saying our forward and backlines needed attention but after looking at I think he is absolutely right.

As much as we consider our backline to be full of good players, we conceded too many points to be a contender this season. When you look at personnel, we are pinching hitting with Tarrant at 33, have Grimes (31) with a serious hamstring issue.

Short, Gibcus, Balta (if he plays back) and Baker are the core of the next wave, with Vlastuin and Broad still having footy ahead of them and we are quite well-stocked for mid-sized players potentially. The issue is our KPDs where we are really on Miller and Nyuon and there are questions over their quality and suitability.

Then up forward we have much the same story. Good stock of younger, smaller/mid types, then Lynch (30) and Riewoldt (33) and a lot of eggs in the Ryan basket, assuming he is a forward and not a ruck and Jake Bauer.

Depending on what happens with Soldo, the ruck is another issue, with Nankervis an old 28 and Colina unknown.

If you skip forward two seasons to the start of 2025 then it might look like this, just based on who is established and likely to be on our list then: (Age in brackets)

B: Baker (26) Balta (22) D Rioli (27)

HB: Short (28) Gibcus (21) Vlastuin (30)

C: Vacant Taranto (28) McIntosh (30)

HF: Bolton (25) Vacant Cumberland (23)

FF: Martin (33) Lynch (32) M Rioli (20)

R: Nankervis (30) Prestia (31) Hopper (27)

I/C Broad (30), Graham (26) Pickett (32) Soldo (28)

I'd be pretty concerned about that side, and especially about the depth of it. We are going to need several of the young guys on the list to come on and at least 2 key position players/rucks to come in over the next two years I think.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Never let facts get in the way of reality Zips.

Our defence didn't "turn to *smile*" this year. We conceded 1780 points this year EXACTLY the same as what we conceded last year. Its an average of 81 points against.
In the glory years of 17-19 (I've ignored 2020 due to the shorter quarters) we averaged 76, 71 and 76 so we aren't a million miles away. The problem I think we've got with trying to drop that goal or so, is from the stand rule, we've struggled to deal with it in some ways and I think our aim within all this is to control territory again, like we did during 2017-20 and thats why we are looking at bringing in Hopper and Taranto.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I've been indulging my footy nerd this week by having a closer look at our season and list list this week and I have to say I'm becoming less and less confident about our prospects in the short term.

Damien Barrett copped a bit the other day for saying our forward and backlines needed attention but after looking at I think he is absolutely right.

As much as we consider our backline to be full of good players, we conceded too many points to be a contender this season. When you look at personnel, we are pinching hitting with Tarrant at 33, have Grimes (31) with a serious hamstring issue.

Short, Gibcus, Balta (if he plays back) and Baker are the core of the next wave, with Vlastuin and Broad still having footy ahead of them and we are quite well-stocked for mid-sized players potentially. The issue is our KPDs where we are really on Miller and Nyuon and there are questions over their quality and suitability.

Then up forward we have much the same story. Good stock of younger, smaller/mid types, then Lynch (30) and Riewoldt (33) and a lot of eggs in the Ryan basket, assuming he is a forward and not a ruck and Jake Bauer.

Depending on what happens with Soldo, the ruck is another issue, with Nankervis an old 28 and Colina unknown.

If you skip forward two seasons to the start of 2025 then it might look like this, just based on who is established and likely to be on our list then: (Age in brackets)

I'd be pretty concerned about that side, and especially about the depth of it. We are going to need several of the young guys on the list to come on and at least 2 key position players/rucks to come in over the next two years I think.

I agree on our KP depth, but unless we suddenly become crap we won't have picks at the top end of the draft so I'm not sure how to solve this easily.

I think we will have a couple of later draft picks this year, so we have the option to have a crack at some of the talls that may be well rated in some areas but need some improvement in others. Having people like Truck and Jack around the club will really help us to be able to train some of those issues out of those players I'd hope.

Either that or we are going to need to scour the FA options over the coming years.

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011

I think both the fwd line and back line preform better with an improved midfield, and truck will help the backline jell

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
Never let facts get in the way of reality Zips.

Our defence didn't "turn to *smile*" this year. We conceded 1780 points this year EXACTLY the same as what we conceded last year. Its an average of 81 points against.
In the glory years of 17-19 (I've ignored 2020 due to the shorter quarters) we averaged 76, 71 and 76 so we aren't a million miles away. The problem I think we've got with trying to drop that goal or so, is from the stand rule, we've struggled to deal with it in some ways and I think our aim within all this is to control territory again, like we did during 2017-20 and thats why we are looking at bringing in Hopper and Taranto.
would like to know the impact of free kicks on our scores against. I believe it is a coaching issue more than umpiring.

Reactions: 1 users