Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I reckon if Riewoldt wasn't so smart he would have been retired two years ago. At some point he is going to hit the point where the balance tips too far physically that it doesn't matter how smart he is. Sooner than later.
I don't think Jack or the club would really disagree. The man himself said he might do a Roughie and end up in the seconds, but all things considered, another year was a no brainer.

Reactions: 3 users

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
I don’t think we will pick him yet. If we did you would pick him in front of Miller.
Is he ready to ruck yet?

Reactions: 1 user

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
not sure if he is ready, but bloody hell at 206cm he has some very good buckets. I suspect he will get first crack at filling the Jack/Tom FF void permanently 2024 onwards. Our turn for a 200+ cm FF. Timing could be perfect - 2020 Draft, 22yo, ready to take the next step. Just need to get 20-30 games into him at AFL level.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Who is more advanced?

Sam Darcy or Samson Ryan?

The former is being touted as someone who should/could play 22 games this year. This is in a forward line comprising of Naughton and Lobb.

Is it purely based on talent or where they were drafted?

Samson Ryan - 206cm 103kgs
Sam Darcy - 208cm 97kgs

• Haha

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Who is more advanced?

The former is being touted as someone who should/could play 22 games this year. This is in a forward line comprising of Naughton and Lobb.

Sam Darcy - 208cm 97kgs
Dunno but Darcy is only 19 remember. Sampson is 22.

That’s a huge difference at this stage of Darcy’s development.

Darcy also didn’t play his first game of VFL football last year until late May because of a stress fracture in his foot.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Who is more advanced?

Sam Darcy - 208cm 97kgs
Stop it SA, comparing Samson Ryan 's talent to Sam Darcy is rubbish.

That is outrageous, Darcy is so far ahead of Ryan already and has shown so much more at the AFL level.

Comparing the two is the peak of the Ryan hype. And ultimately unfair to Ryan.

Reactions: 6 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Sam Darcy has real ground game and can read the ball at any height. Clean player. He has cover from English/Lobb, Naughton, JUH and whichever small Loose Luke is playing ambush with. Furthermore he looks a mature and complete footballer.

The Dogs probably have to play him. Not necessarily all year. But he has to be developed. And may find AFL form soon.

Ryan is not a footballer by education. He's coming from a long way behind. But he is 22 and dominates any ruck he can meet in the VFA. With the possible exception of Conway and a couple of others. As a tall forward he is mainly just tall at VFA level. Holding position and vaulting packs is not something he's done in the past.

If he can dominate I50 at VFA level he picks himself.

To my mind there is no reason that Ryan can't emerge in the back half of the season and force his way in then. It's a long year. And a body of work will be most convincing. But he can do it earlier if things come together. That hasn't happened yet.

Reactions: 2 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Who is more advanced?

Sam Darcy - 208cm 97kgs
Height & weight mean shiit.
If they can't play.
How many players over the years have we drafted & waited & waited but they never showed anything.
The best "Tall' I've seen in football is Brad Ottens.
A1 Ruckman and tip class foward.
Is Sampson capable of running up and down the ground?

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
With the stand rule reducing the impact of chaos and pressure, is the super-tall forward line the new wave that Samson can surf?

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
With the stand rule reducing the impact of chaos and pressure, is the super-tall forward line the new wave that Samson can surf?
Article is a bit slow on the uptake. That was a theory being thrown around by many when the stand rule first came in - including Dimma and the club.

It’s one reason why Geelong went and got Jeremy Cameron.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Article is a bit slow on the uptake. That was a theory being thrown around by many when the stand rule first came in - including Dimma and the club.

It’s one reason why Geelong went and got Jeremy Cameron.
Maybe, but Samson + Jack and Tom is a debate occurring here and this gives examples showing how other teams are approaching their forward line.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Who is more advanced?

Sam Darcy - 208cm 97kgs

Sam Darcy is going to be a star! now 209.5cm, athletic and has skills, what a dream Father Son result for Dogs.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Sam Darcy is going to be a star! now 209.5cm, athletic and has skills, what a dream Father Son result for Dogs.
They get the best FS, Academy kids, high draft picks, players worth 10x more on the way out, but at the end of the day, they are shitt

• Haha

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Samson played some decent football in the VFL last season but looked goofy at times and didn’t chase hard enough.
And he certainly didn’t impress with his running during this preseason, being constantly at the rear of the packs in running drills according to Dr Caesarean.
But he’s comeback bigger and heavier and has exceeded expectations in one and a half practice games.
And that’s where he’s at. On the precipice of something very positive.
How much so will unfold in coming weeks. I’d like to see a body of work in the VFL before promotion but it’s bloody exciting to see the improvement so far in 2023.
Other than Leysey’s undying love affair, not sure many others had factored him in this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users